• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National League 2020/21 - who goes up, are we bothered?

Or actually in Yeovil there's the Quicksilver Mail which has a framed copy of the programme from our shock cup defeat of way back (when losing at Yeovil was actually a shock) mounted on the wall along with other matches in their famous Cup run. The landlord's father played for Yeovil in those matches.
That was the day I learned about giant-killers.
Was there, and all but cried on the way home.
Spent Sunday poring over the results looking for another league side bombed out by part timers.
No one.
None, that is until the Monday when Kettering beat Millwall in a replay.
I knew the other results so well started collecting all the programmes from November 16, 1963, plus replays.
I still have five to go.
Guess which one is ALWAYS available on Ebay and the like? Yup, the one hanging on the Quicksilver wall.

I think it's bad news that Wrexham have missed out on the play offs. They will be strong opponents next season.....

Hartlepool, Chesterfield and Stockport will all be strong contenders too.

I think it's bad news that Wrexham have missed out on the play offs. They will be strong opponents next season.....
The fact is there are several seriously strong looking teams in this new division of ours. And if anyone thinks we are going to walk through the season brushing all aside then think again. Interestingly, PB gives himself 2 years to get us back in FL2. I personally think it is going to be very hard to get near to escape first time out. It will take a team full of confidence and ability to back it up.

The fact is there are several seriously strong looking teams in this new division of ours. And if anyone thinks we are going to walk through the season brushing all aside then think again. Interestingly, PB gives himself 2 years to get us back in FL2. I personally think it is going to be very hard to get near to escape first time out. It will take a team full of confidence and ability to back it up.

You're right. It's not going to be easy. A strong start to the season from us will be even more crucial than usual. Stockport lost only 7 matches all season. Sutton lost eight, but won 25.

It won't be easy......

Truth is there in this league for a reason I'm putting my head on the block saying we are going straight back up

You're right. It's not going to be easy. A strong start to the season from us will be even more crucial than usual. Stockport lost only 7 matches all season. Sutton lost eight, but won 25.

It won't be easy......
Also don’t forget that those strong sides in this division score plenty of goals during the season. 10 sides have scored 60 or more. Only 6 sides in league 2 managed anything like that from 4 more matches. The key to success is clearly finding a striking force to achieve that, not just assume the lower down the pyramid the easier it is. We’re going to need more than 29 goals, that’s for sure.

Truth is there in this league for a reason I'm putting my head on the block saying we are going straight back up

Me too, a full PB pre season with the right players in place early (hopefully, and looks like what we are trying to do) and I'm confident we can have a squad capable of pushing for that top spot or at least the play offs this year.

Listened on and off to the Notts C v Chesterfield commentary yesterday..................can we please get automatic promotion next season! :Hilarious: I don't know whether I could put my body through that kind of play-off stress.........and that was only to qualify for the semi-finals!
I did a quick bit of research and found the following. I believe the new system of play-offs for promotion from the National League has been in place since 2017. In the three years so far, although they've acceeded to the Final twice, no team finishing lower than third place has actually achieved promotion. Prior to that, under a slighly different format, the play-off promoted sides all finished in the top three apart from Grimsby who finished fourth in 2016. So, in only one year of the seven I researched, did a side finishing outside the top three eventually gain promotion. Pause for thought regarding our aims next season?

Listened on and off to the Notts C v Chesterfield commentary yesterday..................can we please get automatic promotion next season! :Hilarious: I don't know whether I could put my body through that kind of play-off stress.........and that was only to qualify for the semi-finals!
I did a quick bit of research and found the following. I believe the new system of play-offs for promotion from the National League has been in place since 2017. In the three years so far, although they've acceeded to the Final twice, no team finishing lower than third place has actually achieved promotion. Prior to that, under a slighly different format, the play-off promoted sides all finished in the top three apart from Grimsby who finished fourth in 2016. So, in only one year of the seven I researched, did a side finishing outside the top three eventually gain promotion. Pause for thought regarding our aims next season?
Also the year Grimsby finished 4th and gained promotion it was Danny Cowley’s Braintree that finished 3rd, with 81 points. Grimsby beat them very late in the game in the second leg semifinal.

Just watching Hartlepool v Bromley.

The quality is quite poor tbh.

Bridge is playing for Bromley and former keeper Andy Woodman is their manager and is huge. Didn't recognise him until his name came up.

The keys to beat any conference side, is to play high pressing football, focus on giving our attacking players an chances to do the damages and be fit to run for 90 minutes.

Just watching Hartlepool v Bromley.

The quality is quite poor tbh.

Bridge is playing for Bromley and former keeper Andy Woodman is their manager and is huge. Didn't recognise him until his name came up.
Hartlepool are out of sight. Bromley looked to have run out of ideas.

If Bromley are a play-off team, then so should we be - at the very least.
I know it's fifth tier, but their control, desire, movement are sixth rate - never mind fifth - and they scored twice.
That second 10 minutes earlier would have made it very interesting.
This quarter-final is much poorer that yesterday's in terms of quality.

All running to form ('just' in the case of Notts County!). So the semi-finalists are the teams who finished in 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th places in the League. Tends to bear out the observations I made earlier. (True to 'recent' form, I posted this on the wrong thread!:Blush:)

Perhaps its my naivety in anything outside of the EFL but I hadn't realised how the play offs worked in the national league. I assumed it was just 4 teams in the pay offs. Didn't realise it was 6 teams.

I suppose that in a league of 23 teams there is a just over a 1 in 3 chance of making the playoffs. Just then have to navigate the luck of the playoffs though.

Back