• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National League 2020/21 - who goes up, are we bothered?

Perhaps its my naivety in anything outside of the EFL but I hadn't realised how the play offs worked in the national league. I assumed it was just 4 teams in the pay offs. Didn't realise it was 6 teams.

I suppose that in a league of 23 teams there is a just over a 1 in 3 chance of making the playoffs. Just then have to navigate the luck of play to your full potential to win the playoffs though.

Perhaps its my naivety in anything outside of the EFL but I hadn't realised how the play offs worked in the national league. I assumed it was just 4 teams in the pay offs. Didn't realise it was 6 teams.

I suppose that in a league of 23 teams there is a just over a 1 in 3 chance of making the playoffs. Just then have to navigate the luck of the playoffs though.
Those who finish second and third are automatically at home in the semi-final. The 4th to seventh place play-off to meet them. Thus the higher up the table you finish, the better.

I suppose that in a league of 23 teams there is a just over a 1 in 3 chance of making the playoffs. Just then have to navigate the luck of the playoffs though.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Those that never give up and just cant be beat are capable of scoring in the 121st minute get the results. The opposition walk up to each penalty knowing they have already lost......Even if they score.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Those that never give up and just cant be beat are capable of scoring in the 121st minute get the results. The opposition walk up to each penalty knowing they have already lost......Even if they score.
I think it a tad lucky for Notts that the Chesterfield keeper, James Montgomery, we have reason to remember him, eh? got injured in the middle of Saturday's game.
It was possibly a tad dim there was no sub keeper on the bench.
But strapped up and limping, Montgomery was in fit state to do anything about the Notts winner.
Are injuries down to luck, bad luck, that is?

Wasn’t it 123rd minute.........?

Stockport for me. They seem to have a lot of spending power, being able to pay the wages of players like Madden, so would prefer them out of the way. Notts County can stay for the quality of away trip.

If Bromley are a play-off team, then so should we be - at the very least.
I know it's fifth tier, but their control, desire, movement are sixth rate - never mind fifth - and they scored twice.
That second 10 minutes earlier would have made it very interesting.
This quarter-final is much poorer that yesterday's in terms of quality.
Admittedly, Bromley had a dreadful afternoon, never recovered from their early poor marking. However, it’s without question that they deserved to be in the playoffs, in the last 5/6 weeks of the season they actually beat, Hartlepool, Notts County and Chesterfield plus they drew with Torquay and Stockport both away from home. Also don’t forget big clubs like Yeovil, Wrexham and Dagenham never reached the playoffs.

Admittedly, Bromley had a dreadful afternoon, never recovered from their early poor marking. However, it’s without question that they deserved to be in the playoffs, in the last 5/6 weeks of the season they actually beat, Hartlepool, Notts County and Chesterfield plus they drew with Torquay and Stockport both away from home. Also don’t forget big clubs like Yeovil, Wrexham and Dagenham never reached the playoffs.
All true.
Therefore, the way they capitulated in the play-off quarter was shameful.
I've spoken to a number of managers who reckon the lower you go the harder it is to find consistent mental strength.

Bugger the Euro's, this weekend it's Torquay v Notts County on Sat and the Stockport v Hartlepool on Sun for a place in the NL play off final o Sunday the following weekend. Games KO at noon and are on BT Sport.

Hartlepool to win please, no desire to go there next season

Bugger the Euro's, this weekend it's Torquay v Notts County on Sat and the Stockport v Hartlepool on Sun for a place in the NL play off final o Sunday the following weekend. Games KO at noon and are on BT Sport.

Yes - good point.

I've seen some terrible Southend away games at Hartlepool ...... in some terrible weather conditions.

I would quite like to see Torquay win today and reach the Final.. They had such a bad run for years. 14 years in fact struggling in the lower league including a demotion out of the Nat League only to come straight back up

14 years in the wilderness is a long time and they have just missed out getting back in the league a few times

The Gulls finished second as well so perhaps deserve better fortune this time round.Their site seems to list a big squad of 32

Not prolific upfront but possessing 9 midfielders, all youngsters ( 21-24 ) bar one , powered in 31 goals between them (. 2 on loan)

I wonder when we last scored 31 goals from midfield?

Torquay took in 4 youngsters on loan, 2 forwards and 2 midfielders. Loanees were from Phils old stomping ground Hull, plus Sunderland, Bristol City and Crystal Palace

to be more accurate I should say 31 goals from listed midfielders, otherwise :Smile: it sounds like they cracked in 31 from outside the box !!

I would quite like to see Torquay win today and reach the Final.. They had such a bad run for years. 14 years in fact struggling in the lower league including a demotion out of the Nat League only to come straight back up

14 years in the wilderness is a long time and they have just missed out getting back in the league a few times

The Gulls finished second as well so perhaps deserve better fortune this time round.Their site seems to list a big squad of 32

Not prolific upfront but possessing 9 midfielders, all youngsters ( 21-24 ) bar one , powered in 31 goals between them (. 2 on loan)

Torquay took in 4 youngsters on loan, 2 forwards and 2 midfielders. Loanees were from Phils old stomping ground Hull, plus Sunderland, Bristol City and Crystal Palace
For purely selfish reasons I hope Torquay lose. A week end on the English Riviera is in the draft plans for next season.

Are they still going in the NL? Hardest working league in Europe

For 3 paragraphs I thought, 'a post by Barry.C which didn't bang on.about age'... and then it happened.

For 3 paragraphs I thought, 'a post by Barry.C which didn't bang on.about age'... and then it happened.
Maybe he thought he’d not been clear enough? I see Torquay went 1-0 up, ironically a 36 year old big target man scored - you couldn’t make it up - but fear not Barry C, order has been restored and Rodrigues has equalised for Notts County (he’s 24).

I'm not sure that's quite right though... yes, they were first relegated out of the FL 14 years ago but came back a couple of years later and had a decent-ish time in L2 for a bit, making the play offs a couple of times and getting to the final on
one occasion.

Back