• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News National League chief explains postponement procedures

That headline is wrong, it's more than 14 you need available according to the article, which means it should read fewer than 15 :)

If the Premier League used the same rule, no-one of their games would get called off!!

At least there seems to be some consistency here. From what he said, we need 15 players to be available.

Assume the following are registered and not injured:

GK. Arnold, Andeng-Ndi, Seaden (3)
Defenders: Demi, White, Coulson, Hobson, Ralph, Clifford, Howard (7)
Central Midfielders: Phillips, Atkinson, Brunt, Ferguson, Gard (5)
Wingers: Egbri, Walsh (2)
Forwards: Dalby, Murphy, Dennis, Rush (4)

That makes 21 (assuming they are all fit).

We think at least 4 have COVID, which makes 17.

If more than 4 have COVID then it's going to be tight - especially if White/Howard/Phillips are deemed not fit.

Of course, we may have a couple of new signings too which might change the maths.

I reckon this could go down to the wire, you know, one or two more COVID cases could tip it to postponement if we don't sign anyone.

Surely we have more than 4 out if Boxing Day was called off sue to our Covid issue, as I have said debone though the isolation rule snow confuse me so i have no idea about anything lol

You also missed out Lopata but then i guess he and Brunt will be back at Sheff Utd unless the loans are extended before then as the expire 21/12 dont they?

Do they include youth players in the numbers if they have played for the first team previously?

Surely we have more than 4 out if Boxing Day was called off sue to our Covid issue, as I have said debone though the isolation rule snow confuse me so i have no idea about anything lol

You also missed out Lopata but then i guess he and Brunt will be back at Sheff Utd unless the loans are extended before then as the expire 21/12 dont they?

Do they include youth players in the numbers if they have played for the first team previously?
I don't think the club have ever given an exact number, but you're right re: the Barnet game - that's a good point.

I missed out Lopata because I didn't think he was fit yet. Interestingly Mark Ives also spoke to the Daily Echo in Southampton and provided further clarification to them: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/1...t-provide-evidence-postpone-games/?ref=twtrec

He said: "I don’t see any personal medical information, it’s verified between the league doctor and the club doctors. They liaise on a professional basis to verify the medical situation.

“It will then be relayed to me in terms of numbers that have Covid or are having to isolate because they’ve been in close contact and are unvaccinated or not double jabbed.

“I will then look at how many players the club has registered and it’s a basic mathematical exercise. How many do you have registered, how many COVID and I emphasise COVID, not injuries.

“And providing you have more than 14 players available including a goalkeeper then the game goes ahead. We will apply that consistently across the board.

On that basis, you have to factor in Akinola, Bridge, Dunne and Lopata into the squad. Therefore to get the Barnet game called off we must have had a hell of a lot self-isolating because of COVID (not just those with it, but self-isolating because they've been in contact with someone)

At least there seems to be some consistency here. From what he said, we need 15 players to be available.

Assume the following are registered and not injured:

GK. Arnold, Andeng-Ndi, Seaden (3)
Defenders: Demi, White, Coulson, Hobson, Ralph, Clifford, Howard (7)
Central Midfielders: Phillips, Atkinson, Brunt, Ferguson, Gard (5)
Wingers: Egbri, Walsh (2)
Forwards: Dalby, Murphy, Dennis, Rush (4)

That makes 21 (assuming they are all fit).

We think at least 4 have COVID, which makes 17.

If more than 4 have COVID then it's going to be tight - especially if White/Howard/Phillips are deemed not fit.

Of course, we may have a couple of new signings too which might change the maths.

I reckon this could go down to the wire, you know, one or two more COVID cases could tip it to postponement if we don't sign anyone.
You’ve missed out Dunne fwiw (although he’s probably injured anyway).

I wonder where loanees stand in all this: Mitchell-Belson, Benton, Stewart, Chandler all on pro deals but out on loan. Would the league require us to recall them?

You’ve missed out Dunne fwiw (although he’s probably injured anyway).

I wonder where loanees stand in all this: Mitchell-Belson, Benton, Stewart, Chandler all on pro deals but out on loan. Would the league require us to recall them?
Yes, missed out anyone who I thought would be injured in the original post (not just Dunne, but Lopata, Bridge and Akinola as well) - clarified in the updated post that these need to be included by what Mark Ives said - although i don't think his logic makes complete sense.

Akinola is in a knee brace at the moment (in Dubai!), but if he's free from COVID restrictions would be included in the 15 players that Ives deems necessary to fulfil a fixture. If our 15 included all those injured then young Collin might be playing in midfield on Sunday alongside Harry Seaden!

It's a really odd statement - that I'm not sure clarify's anything.

“I will then look at how many players the club has registered and it’s a basic mathematical exercise. How many do you have registered, how many COVID and I emphasise COVID, not injuries.

“And providing you have more than 14 players available including a goalkeeper then the game goes ahead. We will apply that consistently across the board."

So the first part appears to rule out injured players. But then the second part 'players available' does that include injured? As mentioned elsewhere they can't seriously include Sim as available?

It's a really odd statement - that I'm not sure clarify's anything.

“And providing you have more than 14 players available including a goalkeeper then the game goes ahead. We will apply that consistently across the board."

So the first part appears to rule out injured players. But then the second part 'players available' does that include injured? As mentioned elsewhere they can't seriously include Sim as available?

That's what I was thinking.

I'm assuming that means thaf if we can't play because everyone has covid, match gets postponed.

If we can't play because too many are injured, we forfeit the match instead.

Sounds, like premier leagur games get called off for 1 or 2 covid cases. They must have 20 to 25 players available so what's the difference between the Premier league and the National league?

Money?

That's what I was thinking.

I'm assuming that means thaf if we can't play because everyone has covid, match gets postponed.

If we can't play because too many are injured, we forfeit the match instead.
Yes, I think that's spot on. But I think if that were the case, we would play the kids. There is no way we would forfeit a game.

Sounds, like premier leagur games get called off for 1 or 2 covid cases. They must have 20 to 25 players available so what's the difference between the Premier league and the National league?

Money?
It’s a joke really. You’re telling me that Spurs or Man Utd couldn’t have fielded 11 players? Ridiculous.

Heard on the BBC that the Leicester match is postponed due to Covid AND injuries resulting in Leicester being unable to field a team. I know PL rules are different but seems a more realistic approach

I really don’t know if this continues with postponements how the National League will manage to fit in all of the fixtures? Extend the season or null and void.

There are still quite a few free Tuesday evenings in February and March - I suppose it depends on how many more games are lost to COVID and of course moving into the new year we're bound to have a cold snap so there's also the possibility of weather-related postponements too.

Let's look on the bright side, we might be playing these games with a potentially stronger squad than we would have if they'd gone ahead as scheduled!

There are still quite a few free Tuesday evenings in February and March - I suppose it depends on how many more games are lost to COVID and of course moving into the new year we're bound to have a cold snap so there's also the possibility of weather-related postponements too.

Let's look on the bright side, we might be playing these games with a potentially stronger squad than we would have if they'd gone ahead as scheduled!
Still not great for the football fans who can’t always do the Tuesday night games. It’s been horrendous this year for the lack of Saturday 3pm games.

Back