• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National League Next Season

So here we are in January with just over half of the season's games completed already.

There is still a long way to go but the shape of the bottom of Division 4 (rebadged as League 2) & the top of the divisions below mean that we can begin to speculate on who we might be playing next season ........ if promotion doesn't beckon for us of course.

Coming down?

Gillingham
& Hartlepool are currently in the dreaded bottom 2 places but we all know that Gillingham have suddenly come into some money. Rochdale, Creepy & Harrogate aren't far ahead and are probably very nervously looking over their shoulders. Colchester have won their last 3 league games and have pulled to relative safety at the moment.

National South

Dartford
are top right now but have played more games than many of the other teams. Perhaps points in the bag are better than fixture congestion later?

National North

King's Lynn
are top & have played fewer games than many of the other teams at the top.

We (Southend United fans) don't want to sound like Billy Big Balls but theoretically we shouldn't have too much to worry about with these teams for next year given our resources/crowd sizes*. [We did lose to the bottom team Gateshead remember? - Ed]

* By the way - that is not an invitation to start on with "Ron out"/"Ron in" posts or other finance related items - there are plenty of other threads for that please.

Reactions: DCC
Gillingham, Dartford and Colchester would be great for local travel, fan numbers and saving travel cost but sadly I dont see Gills and Colchester coming down, Maybe we could go up and join them?

I would plump for Hartlepool and Harrogate coming down.

Tight at the top of NLS both on points and GF and GA across the top three, so those games in hand could prove crucial. I am going for Ebbsfleet to triumph.

Kings Lynn look good form the NLN, only unbeaten home record and three games in hand on 2nd place Darlo.

I would plump for Hartlepool and Harrogate coming down.
Those two were my pick at the beginning of the season and I've had a few quid on both.

However I think it may be Gills instead of Harrogate now.

It's two from three from Ebbsfleet, Havant and Dartford in the NLS (no ****, Sherlock) and in the NLN I think King's Lynn should make it OK. Picking a play off winner is tough, but I think I would go for Fylde.

I was going to go Rochdale and Gills coming down, Rochdale have been poor for a few years.

Gills are hoping they can spend their way to survival which can lead to unbalanced sides and players after a payday, if they come down I fear their owners may lose interest too

I was going to go Rochdale and Gills coming down, Rochdale have been poor for a few years.

Gills are hoping they can spend their way to survival which can lead to unbalanced sides and players after a payday, if they come down I fear their owners may lose interest too
Rochdale & Hartlepool imo.

I don't see us going down now, I thought we looked a certainty a few weeks ago but Matt Bloomfield is getting things sorted, we have signed 5 new players this month with more possibly coming and a few others leaving, I think we will be ok. Time will tell of course because other teams down there like Gillingham and Crawley have new big money owners, I can see Rochdale and Hartlepool being in danger possibly Harrogate too, but I think it could all be decided in the last 2-3 games. We play the Gills on Saturday at our place, they are expected to bring1000+ fans so we could get over 3000:Hilarious:

Surely Wrexham or Chesterfield will still be around? Assuming Notts Cty bag the automatic place?

If we're still in the NL next season we need a rule change at least 2 teams to go up ,please.
One of those 3 will still be around, & no doubt someone else who no-one expects to be will be challenging at the top. So yes, totally agree with your comment.

Surely Wrexham or Chesterfield will still be around? Assuming Notts Cty bag the automatic place?

If we're still in the NL next season we need a rule change at least 2 teams to go up ,please.
2teams do go up ,need a rule change for 3 teams to get promoted ,2 automatic and one from playoffs

I don't see us going down now, I thought we looked a certainty a few weeks ago but Matt Bloomfield is getting things sorted, we have signed 5 new players this month with more possibly coming and a few others leaving, I think we will be ok. Time will tell of course because other teams down there like Gillingham and Crawley have new big money owners, I can see Rochdale and Hartlepool being in danger possibly Harrogate too, but I think it could all be decided in the last 2-3 games. We play the Gills on Saturday at our place, they are expected to bring1000+ fans so we could get over 3000:Hilarious:
Recent results have improved for you, & although early days For Gillinghams new owners, i'd expect them to stay up as well. I predicted earlier that Rochdale & Hartlepool would be those facing the drop.
Having been going to games since 67, although your our nearest rivals, i don't have the fixation that some of our fans have on you. Between 69-77 every game i went to at layer rd was enjoyable, even if we lost!. After that period i went in the LDV 1st leg final in 2005 & the disastrous league game in 2006-07 season. that being my last time.
From my era, i classed Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth, Watford & even Cambridge as our 'local' rivals, although Brighton were 80 miles away & Bournemouth 150 miles!.

Those two were my pick at the beginning of the season and I've had a few quid on both.

However I think it may be Gills instead of Harrogate now.

It's two from three from Ebbsfleet, Havant and Dartford in the NLS (no ****, Sherlock) and in the NLN I think King's Lynn should make it OK. Picking a play off winner is tough, but I think I would go for Fylde.
I think gills probably stay up now..... the new owners have already signed 5 players and probably will sign more. Rochdale look the side who might scupper your chances of winning your bet.

Recent results have improved for you, & although early days For Gillinghams new owners, i'd expect them to stay up as well. I predicted earlier that Rochdale & Hartlepool would be those facing the drop.
Having been going to games since 67, although your our nearest rivals, i don't have the fixation that some of our fans have on you. Between 69-77 every game i went to at layer rd was enjoyable, even if we lost!. After that period i went in the LDV 1st leg final in 2005 & the disastrous league game in 2006-07 season. that being my last time.
From my era, i classed Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth, Watford & even Cambridge as our 'local' rivals, although Brighton were 80 miles away & Bournemouth 150 miles!.
Your obviously a similar age to me Billy. your user name gives it away😁 Yes there were some lively games between our two clubs in the late 60s and 70s I went to them all. Rivalry is a funny thing, we class yourselves and Ipswich as rivals but we have hardly played our Suffolk friends in recent times, when we were in the Conference Wycombe became our rivals and there was lots of comments between the two managers Red Card Roy and Martin O'Neill, lets just say they didn't like one another!

Crawley and Hartlepool will probably come down

King's Lynn and Fylde up from the North

Ebbsfleet and Dartford from the South

Gills and Ewes have signed some v good players at that level and it's showing. Crawley are a mess and Hartlepool don't look much better.

Back