• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National league potentially being abandoned

Many teams in he national league have only managed 13/14 games`. I cant see how they will finish the season. Nor could you promote anyone on the back of 15 games if it ends.

Many teams in he national league have only managed 13/14 games`. I cant see how they will finish the season. Nor could you promote anyone on the back of 15 games if it ends.
If so, you’d assume the season would be voided. Would cause major hardship for most clubs and doubts about the sustainability of the lower leagues. If L2 were to stop it would be a major catastrophe for us given the progress we have made in the past 6 or so weeks

If so, you’d assume the season would be voided. Would cause major hardship for most clubs and doubts about the sustainability of the lower leagues. If L2 were to stop it would be a major catastrophe for us given the progress we have made in the past 6 or so weeks

Surely the clubs would be under more hardship by continuing to train and prepare for matches which either take place behind closed doors or get cancelled? At least if the season gets stopped players can be furloughed and the costly game prep can stop

Would seem a bit pointless now given covid rates are starting to drop, vaccine roll-out is increasing, and football hasn't stopped through any of that. There's even hope of some lockdown restrictions being lifted by mid-feb. As football has been played throughout the worst of it, why stop now?!

Anyone know much about this and what it could mean for us if we finish in the bottom 2

Anyone know much about this and what it could mean for us if we finish in the bottom 2
If the national league is contailed I cant see how they can promote or demote teams due to the amount of games they played.

Would seem a bit pointless now given covid rates are starting to drop, vaccine roll-out is increasing, and football hasn't stopped through any of that. There's even hope of some lockdown restrictions being lifted by mid-feb. As football has been played throughout the worst of it, why stop now?!
Vaccines are currently for over 70's so non league footballers would not be due to get vaccinated for a few months yet. The reasons for them only managing to play little more than half of their matches are likely to carry on for a couple of months yet.

Vaccines are currently for over 70's so non league footballers would not be due to get vaccinated for a few months yet. The reasons for them only managing to play little more than half of their matches are likely to carry on for a couple of months yet.

Not to mention the vast number of spectators who are in their 20's or younger.Sadly I don't think there's any realistic chance of spectators being allowed back into grounds in numbers any time soon.Probably not this season anyway.

I have a good connection at Dagenham and he tells me they certainly intent to vote to abandon the season and he believes thats what most of the clubs are going to vote for.

The other two options are....A loan to each club, which non of them fancy...Or a loan to the national league, which they don't fancy and the clubs think will be passed down to them.

If true we are safe but the season will become a non event, where as i find it more exciting than most other seasons right now.

Last edited:
I have a good connection at Dagenham and he tells me they certainly intent to vote to abandon the season and he believes thats what most of the clubs are going to vote for.

The other two options are....A loan to each club, which non of them fancy...Or a loan to the national league, which they don't fancy and the clubs think will be passed down to them.

If true we are safe but the season will become a non event, where as i find it more exciting than most others seasons right now.
Loan will do more harm than good in the long term. Can see national league being contailed due to their not being any real benefit for clubs to continue.

As a further update, the national league have ruled out taking a loan to finish the season and have advised their clubs not to do so either. It seems they are pinning their hopes of finishing the season on the government changing their mind and granting them over £10m.

Obviously some clubs will want to play on as they've got deep pockets / lots of debt already but most won't want to.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks whilst things play out

Yep its going to have to be cancelled.....Unless they make them PL under 23 teams.....Now there's an idea.

Back