• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Behind The Scenes National League season preview! #Extra

This coming weekend sees the return of the football league after a summer that saw our boys go all the way to the European Championship final, though sadly just fell short. However, our relegation to the National League means that we don't get to cheer the boys on from the stands (how good does that sound by the way?) away at Kings Lynn until the 21st of this month. As many of you know, this season sees the return of "Ask the Opposition" whereby I speak to a supporter of the club we face next and I thought it would be a good idea to ask some fans from around the league their thoughts ahead of the upcoming season. We have opinions from fans of Barnet, Chesterfield, Notts County, Woking and Yeovil with hopefully Dagenham and Grimsby to follow in the next couple of days. Anyway, I hope you enjoy and find this an interest read.

Firstly we have Jack (@TacticalKewell), the Barnet fan.

1) With the new season a just a week away, how prepared do you believe you are and what are your expectations for the campaign ahead?

As a Barnet fan I believe we’re better prepared than usual as we’ve finally done some business early. I think all we need now is a playmaker, keeper and another striker to challenge Marriott up top and we’ll have an outside shot at the playoffs.

2) This coming season will be Southend United’s first at this level of the English footballing pyramid. After suffering relegation to the National League in 2017/18, just how tough is it to get yourself back in to the football league and what can Southend fans expect from the season ahead?

The national league is one of the easiest to get into but hardest to get out of. The amount of teams that have stayed here for considerable amounts of time is incredible, Southend fans can expect to have a rollercoaster season the first year in due to the varied levels the teams play at and the gelling of the players.

3) In you’re opinion, who will be celebrating promotion to the football league come May.. and who’ll be in despair having suffered relegation?

In my opinion Notts county will be crowned as champions with Dagenham to go up via the playoffs as these 2 have just gone from strength to strength in this transfer window and through the latter end of last year. The teams that I think will get relegated will be Dover, Kings Lynn and Weymouth as I just don’t believe they’ve strengthened enough to warrant staying in the national league

4) Last season, the national league was interrupted due to COVID and as a result there was no relegation from the league. Barnet finished 22nd but survived. What’s your thoughts on this and what do you have to do differently this season to avoid having another relegation threatened season?

I personally believe we deserved to be relegated for just how poor we were and it’s unfair on the teams in the lower divisions that they couldn’t come up. However, this season we need to just have some stability and stick with one manager as last season we tried the cheap option in Beadle and then flowers should didn’t play a style that would fit us before finally landing Simon Bassey who had a lot of good experience. I feel like we have done enough to avoid the drop and we should be pushing for a top half finish at minimum but we mustn’t get complacent and always back the manager with funds.

Secondly, we hear from Ray (@gammaray156) the Chesterfield fan.

1) With the new season a just a week away, how prepared do you believe you are and what are your expectations for the campaign ahead?

I believe we are prepared for another hard slug in this division and it will be more of a challenge now that we have Grimsby back down here who have experience leaving this league to return to the Football League and Southend (you) joining us for the first time ever. I will be very happy if we can achieve a playoff place again this season.

2) This coming season will be Southend United’s first at this level of the English footballing pyramid. After suffering relegation to the National League in 2017/18, just how tough is it to get yourself back in to the football league and what can Southend fans expect from the season ahead?

This league is a very hard league to get yourself out of. Just like the Football League, you don't have a god given right to say we deserve to win this game against.. let's just say Bromley! Teams like that will look at teams like you as scalps or has their 'Cup Final' day out! Just ask fans of Wrexham, they have been down here for 13 years now and may finally be able to go back up with the backing from Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney or just ask Stockport who got relegated to the Northern section of the National League in 2012/13 mate and only came back up in 2018/19.

Just be prepared also for the no transfer window rule down here mate especially if you have got a certain player on your books like let us Simeon Akinola as a example and he sets the league alight for the first month and scores like 7 in 3 games, he may well end up on the move after that month to another club!

Also, the playoff system needs to be revised if you don't know how it works, have a look mate!

3) In you’re opinion, who will be celebrating promotion to the football league come May.. and who’ll be in despair having suffered relegation?

I can see it being a slug fest at the top but I can see it being Notts County, Torquay and Wrexham fighting for 1st and in the playoffs I can see Chesterfield (us), Stockport, Yeovil and Eastleigh but Southend (you) are my dark horses but that depends on how well you adjust to the league, if you adjust quickly enough and do well than you may have a chance!

4) Last season, Chesterfield suffered playoff heartbreak against Notts County. With the likes of Stefan Payne and Danny Rowe leading your attack, do you believe you can take that next step this season and gain promotion back to the football league?

That all depends if our players can stay fit and we don't lose anyone to another club during the season or we release anyone. Our stand out player may well be 22 year old ex-Villa academy graduate Jack Clarke, he is like the non-league version of Jack Grealish and I am thrilled we managed to get him on a permanent basis and I am also thrilled that we signed ex-Celtic youngster Calvin Miller who is only 23 on a permanent deal from Harrogate especially as Notts County wanted him permanently after what he did against us in the playoffs last season!

We also added Jeff King who was a standout player for Halifax Town last season so he will add much needed quality to our side and we have ex-Watford goalkeeper Scott Loach added as well who was part of their 2006/07 squad in their first season back in the Premier League since 1999/00 so he will be a much more experienced head in between the posts.

Saidou Khan will give us much needed drive and determination alongside Manny Oyeleke which we've not had since the Jimmy Ryan and Sam Morsy days plus we have Akwasi Asante still to come back to full fitness who was scoring goals for fun before he was injured in April.

I feel this is the most rounded squad we have had at Chesterfield since that 2014/15 squad under Paul Cook!

Thirdly, Ryan (@ryanbirchnall) the Notts County fan.

Our new owners are taking a different approach to recruitment. As they have a business that uses statistically data in football, they are using this same data to help recruit players. Similar model to Brentford. As this model is unproven in National League, we go into this season unsure of how successful it will be. Some of the players recruited look good signings but the one area that worries me most is our strikers. Looking at what Stockport and Wrexham have recruited shows competition for good strikers is fierce. I'm not convinced yet we have enough quality in depth in this area. I hope I'm proven wrong.

2) This coming season will be Southend United’s first at this level of the English footballing pyramid. After suffering relegation to the National League in 2018/19, just how tough is it to get yourself back in to the football league and what can Southend fans expect from the season ahead?

This will be the third season for Notts in the NL. We have made the play offs in the last two seasons but failed to get out. With only one automatic spot available, and a second via the play offs consisting of 6 teams, it is extremely tough to get promoted. Sutton went up as champions last season, and their success was due to consistency. If Southend want to get promoted they need to be consistent. This year looks even tougher than previous years, with Stockport and Wrexham splashing the cash; Torquay just missing out in last season's play off final; yourselves and Grimsby dropping down; and a host of others, like Chesterfield, recruiting well.

Purely on the strike power available to them, I see Stockport the team to beat. But we have seen in last 2 years with Barrow (albeit on points per game) and Sutton, an unfancied team could be up there if they can be consistent. It will be interesting to see how Stockport cope when teams park the bus and become tough to breakdown. That will be the key to them winning the league.

4) Ruben Rodriguez has taken a lot of plaudits ahead of the new season and has been identified as “one to watch”. How good a player is he and who else is in your squad should we be keeping an eye on?

Ruben had a slow start last season, but the new Head Coach found a way to get the best out of him. He is an exciting prospect and if he can perform this season like he did at the end of last then he will be one to watch. However, so will Cal Roberts, who missed most of last season with injury. He seems to have gotten to the root cause of his injury, and seems to be playing OK in pre-season friendlies. If he can stay fit this season, then he and Ruben will be some pair to watch this season.

Ryan added; Good luck this season, but don't take it for granted you will do well. Its easy to get carried away with thinking "we will go straight back". I think there have only been a few teams that have done that, so it is extremely difficult. In the main the standard of football is better than you may think. It is extremely competitive and as I said above, consistency is the key.

Next up, I spoke to Will (@WillB_2003) the Woking fan.

We’ve done our main business quite early in the window, signing a mixture of experienced players such as Rohan Ince, Joe McNerney and Tom Champion, alongside exciting talent such as Tyreke Johnson and Tahvon Campbell. I think we can finish in the top half this season, and that would be a solid return in our first season of full time football in more than a decade.

2) This coming season will be Southend United’s first at this level of the English footballing pyramid, what can Southend fans expect from the season ahead?

Expect the unexpected. This league pulls off its own surprise stories every season, from Sutton’s unexpected title win last season, all the way back to Torquay’s great escape in 15/16 after looking dead and buried. Many big clubs have tried to buy their way out and failed miserably, others have planned to get out of the league such as Grimsby and now find themselves back just five years later. You’ll be freezing away at Maidenhead on a cold winter day, or going to Solihull where the pitch is muddy and waterlogged, this league has it all.

3) Southend and Woking have only evet met once in a competitive game way back in 1997 in the FA Cup, a game in which Southend won 2-0. With that said, it’s safe to say Southend fans will be somewhat unfamiliar with you’re club. Could you tell us the players to watch out for this coming season.

We possess several exciting attacking options in the shape of experienced striker Inih Effiong, former Southampton first teamer Tyreke Johnson, who was electric in his first spell on loan, whilst Tahvon Campbell is a talented option on the right wing. Captain Josh Casey is one of the best left backs in the division, and also a vocal leader on the pitch, whereas Craig Ross in goal is one of the finest keepers in the division and saved us several times last season.

4) In you’re opinion, who will be celebrating promotion to the football league come May.. and who’ll be in despair having suffered relegation?

I think Notts County under their innovative coach Ian Burchnall will be the most exciting team to watch, and will win the division with players such as Ruben Rodrigues and Cal Roberts lighting up the division, with Stockport County a big shout for the playoffs with their attacking credentials. I think Southend will sneak a playoff place, whilst at the wrong end of the table, Weymouth, Wealdstone and Dover will take the plunge back into National League South. All the best to Southend for the upcoming season.

And finally, here are the thoughts of Scott (@ScottyCarp5) the Yeovil fan.

1)
With the new season a just a week away, how prepared do you believe you are and what are your expectations for the campaign ahead?

Yeovil are currently looking very strong defensively which is great at this level. I feel that we could have a strong season however we are missing a good goal scorer since Murphy has left. I’d like to be pushing for play offs however, without that proven scorer I’m starting to doubt it.

2) This coming season will be Southend United’s first at this level of the English footballing pyramid. After suffering relegation to the National League in 2018/19, just how tough is it to get yourself back in to the football league and what can Southend fans expect from the season ahead?

We have been in the National League for 2 seasons now, our first we managed to get the playoffs finishing in 4th place, then last season was a weird one and we secured a mid table finish. It’s a very underrated league, and a lot of the teams could be in the football league. With the signing Southend have made, they should ideally be play offs minimum however there will be a lot of shocks along the way.

I think there will be a few teams within contention of being promoted, Wrexham, Notts County and Stockport will definitely be up there. From a relegation point of view, I think Dover could struggle this season as well as Kings Lynn who were lucky with no relegations happening last year. As a Yeovil fan, I believe we will finish in 11th unless we can sign a reliable goal scorer and some cover on the left side of defence and midfield!

4) During the summer, Rhys Murphy made the move from Huish Park to Roots Hall. Could you tell us a little about our new front man and what we can expect to see from him in a Blues shirt?

Obviously the main thing is that we will score a load of goals. Anything in front of the goal and 9 times out of 10 that man is putting the ball in the net. Don’t expect too much from him without the ball though, he is majorly lazy when the balls not at his feet. He might make a few runs but nothing major, but you can always back him to be in the right place at the right time!

I firstly want to say a big thank you to those who took part and answered some questions for us. Secondly, if you managed to read the whole post (it was a long one, I'm aware of that and if it's to long a read then please do let me know going forward!) a thank you to you. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did putting it together!

The next episode will drop about a week before the Kings Lynn game.

Edit: Scroll down for some more opinions from Keane, the Dagenham fan.

Last edited:
Interesting.
A few things stuck out in addition to the tough play off scenario.
Mainly the "consistency" aspect, the win home and draw away is huge, crowd support is essential for Roots Hall to be a Bastion, not the theatre of dread of past seasons.
IMO our away support is 9 from 10 second to none

I also spoke to Keane (@Keanehandley1) the Dagenham fan and here are his views on the upcoming season. Thanks Keane, some really good answers mate.

This may backfire, having been left disappointed in recent seasons, but I believe we are as prepared as we can be! Then, to second that, my expectation along with the supporters and the club itself is play-offs.

Despite having been let down in seasons gone by, as aforementioned, there is now a real confidence about the club: from staff to supporters – that we can and should finish in the top 7. Our slow starts have proved costly in previous campaigns, but there is a feeling this time will be different.

I may just be setting myself up for yet more disappointment, and I could well just appear that optimist among the fanbase. However, the reason for heightened confidence among all Daggers this time round is the real prospect of continuity.

Having tied down our core players to long-term contracts and maintaining the majority of the side that ultimately just fell short of the play-offs last season (following a late resurgence). The players now all too familiar with one another, continuing the form from the back end of last season, could see a quick start from McMahon’s men and possibly a campaign to remember from thereon in.

2) This coming season will be Southend United’s first at this level of the English footballing pyramid. After suffering relegation to the National League in 2015/16, just how tough is it to get yourself back in to the football league and what can Southend fans expect from the season ahead?

Those high hopes and expectations just expressed were nuanced by the reminder of disappointments in seasons gone by since our American owners took over following our relegation from the football league and subsequent (unrelated) financial difficulties. Despite the financial situation being in a relatively healthy state off the pitch, the form on it has been below par.

This will be our 5th season back in the National League, an extremely difficult league to get out of. Many under-estimate the sheer scale of the task, but the truth is that on their day, anyone can beat anyone in this league.

There are some big clubs in this league; you just look at the ex-league clubs who have failed on multiple occasions in pursuit of promotion – despite being favourites. The one automatic promotion place for the winners and one play-off promotion spot make it extremely tough at the top end – even after a great season. The likes of Torquay, Notts County, Stockport and Chesterfield are examples of how big names aren’t necessarily the biggest winners in this division.

For yourselves as Southend United you may have the squad, although, as soon as the hefty Saturday/Tuesday schedule kicks in and you are stuck in a bit of a rut results wise – it is very much an uphill battle.

This may all sound very familiar for teams up and down the English football pyramid, however, the National League is a different beast in that it throws up the most surprises. There are 15/16 teams all with either a cemented position or outside shot of the play-offs and there really is no taking your foot off the gas.

To Southend, I’ll say good luck (but not too much), because you’re going to need it!

Well, obviously I fancy the Daggers’ chances and that’s not an entirely bias view this season – bookmakers and fellow supporters alike tipping us as dark horses for a football league return. But, if I’m honest, I struggle to look past Stockport as League winners with a devastating attack and Wrexham with Mullin too stands them in good stead. But, football is won on the pitch, not on paper, so we’ll have to see!

For the drop, I struggle to see Dover overcoming their 12-point deduction, a large sum to make up at the foot of the table. Also, Weymouth are a side I see struggling to avoid the drop this season, alongside King’s Lynn who didn’t exactly ‘wow’ last campaign.

However, as I said previously, this league is one that throws up some surprises; with those tipped to challenge for promotion left looking over their shoulders at the drop. Also, there is often a side destined for relegation punching above their weight and knocking on the door of the play-offs.

So, I never like predicting the final standings, but that’s my assessment two weeks away from the first ball being kicked.

4) Dagenham vs Southend is a one of a few local fixtures for us next season and in seasons past it’s been a match that has been a bit feisty both on the pitch and in the stands. Is the return of this fixture something you look forward to and in your opinion, is there a rivalry between the clubs that means winning this game means just that little bit more to you?

It’s been a while! Yes, of course that ‘local’ rivalry adds to the occasion, and I’d be delighted to get one over the Shrimpers. I think we could well be battling it out for similar positions in the table too, so that reverse fixture at Victoria Road in March will be an especially enticing encounter. It’s one I look forward to for sure!

A great read - thanks
sounds like another roller coaster season - modest expectations!

Back