• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours National League speaking to EFL about 3 up three down change

I can't see the EFL clubs voting in favour of that and to be fair I don't blame them either.

It does need to happen though as the NL seems to be getting stronger every season. With the vast majority now full-time. It's no longer the Conference of old. It's an extension of League 2 in everything but name. Times change and the powers that be need to move with it.

Effectively NL is like League 3, given the quality of the clubs left in our league, it’s an bottleneck.

Turkeys wouldn't vote for Christmas, and thus increasing the number of positions that would relegate a team isn't going to happen.

Also always wondered why promotion from League 2 into League 1 has 4 promotion spots available but the rest of the leagues are just 3?

Turkeys wouldn't vote for Christmas, and thus increasing the number of positions that would relegate a team isn't going to happen.

Also always wondered why promotion from League 2 into League 1 has 4 promotion spots available but the rest of the leagues are just 3?
I agree cant see it happening as clubs will be agreeing to a detrimental position.NL want promotion to be on a fair basis of minimum of 3 up and down as they consider they are the 5th league.Its good to see they are trying but as you say turkeys and christmas.

Apparently the CEO of the NL is in discussions with the EFL to increase the number of teams promoted to 3 but he states it's down to the EFL to decide.

So watch this space
I can't see anything obvious online searching Google/Twitter for this, is this an ITK post or public knowledge?

Maybe four football leagues of 20 teams (like the premiership) with three up and three down would be better and then the national league

Perhaps some efl teams might be more likely to considering how difficult it now is to get out of this league even with a good budget, established league sides keep getting relegated so it's potentially in there favour

I am not expecting turkeys to vote for Christmas but looking at League 2 these days I would imagine a few chairman are getting a bit twitchy about the size of the clubs in that division these days. I expect the away attendances for some of those clubs must be in double figures and it might not be long before a few of them start looking at the size of the clubs in the National League and wondering if it might not be a bad thing to welcome more of a turnover.

I am not expecting turkeys to vote for Christmas but looking at League 2 these days I would imagine a few chairman are getting a bit twitchy about the size of the clubs in that division these days. I expect the away attendances for some of those clubs must be in double figures and it might not be long before a few of them start looking at the size of the clubs in the National League and wondering if it might not be a bad thing to welcome more of a turnover.
Yeah interesting thought.

Can only see any expansion of promotion places with a league 3 scenario. Which they might push for as it would ease fears of relegation out the league. Both hopes seem pretty far off though.

Got to do it the hard way.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same thought, and for that reason was hoping that Solihull Moors had gone up instead of Grimsby.

I think that, allied with the difficulty in getting back up if you do have a poor season might make them think about it. With Scunthorpe and Oldham dropping down this season and York getting promoted the average crowds in the National League next season could be even bigger than this year. On that note I see Wrexham sold out their 6000+ season tickets within 12 hours - that's amazing!

I had exactly the same thought, and for that reason was hoping that Solihull Moors had gone up instead of Grimsby.

I think that, allied with the difficulty in getting back up if you do have a poor season might make them think about it. With Scunthorpe and Oldham dropping down this season and York getting promoted the average crowds in the National League next season could be even bigger than this year. On that note I see Wrexham sold out their 6000+ season tickets within 12 hours - that's amazing!
Scunthorpe and Oldham will get smaller crowds than Stockport and Grimsby did so it will go down rather than up.

Its something ive mentioned a few times during the season ,I believe it needs to happen other from that the VNL becomes a 4th division in the EFL. T he turkeys from the lge 2 wont have to worry about dropping out of the EFL then. If we get our **** back together and have a really good season ,that includes in the way we play ,having a really enjoyable team to watch ,whether we win or not, but the way we play etc ,an exciting brand of football ,then i can see us selling 6000 + season tickets in the very near future.

Maybe four football leagues of 20 teams (like the premiership) with three up and three down would be better and then the national league

What has been suggested is 5 divisions of 20 with two divisions being regionalised

That would mean 100 EFL clubs but still the same 2 up from 4 North and 2 From South
Less travelling/Overnight trips, Tuesday games and less dead rubber mid table games…. Works for me.

What has been suggested is 5 divisions of 20 with two divisions being regionalised

That would mean 100 EFL clubs but still the same 2 up from 4 North and 2 From South
Less travelling/Overnight trips, Tuesday games and less dead rubber mid table games…. Works for me.
Regionalised leagues have not place in the professional game in 2022.

Our country really isn't that big

Back