• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours National League speaking to EFL about 3 up three down change

Don’t see the value in merging the Conf into the FL.

You’ll lose the increased profile that the NL has (eg it’s own TV deal with more NL than L2 games shown). The TV money will have to be shared downwards which won’t be popular amongst the Championship sides who are probably pushing for a greater share of the pie anyway.

Including part-time teams in the FL waters down that brand. Regionalising it also diminishes the brand.

The NL doesn’t have enough strength in depth to justify a 24 team L3. The problem you’re all trying to solve is that there is a bottleneck with only two teams going up. Allowing more to go up - with a play-off between the L2 and NL team is the way to go. But if Maher gets us up most won’t care any more.

In the early days of play-offs (League not NL ) they had teams from the league above being given a chance to stay in their division …. What dull games they were….. Far better to have 6 NL teams fighting for a final slot than rewarding a poor L2 team with a trip to where ?

This year would have been Solihull v Barrow. Now i know you your good self Yorkshire would have been in full Solihull kit, complete with shin pads and bobble hat but the rest of us would have no interest.😎

You’ll lose the increased profile that the NL has (eg it’s own TV deal with more NL than L2 games shown). The TV money will have to be shared downwards which won’t be popular amongst the Championship sides who are probably pushing for a greater share of the pie anyway.

Including part-time teams in the FL waters down that brand. Regionalising it also diminishes the brand.

The NL doesn’t have enough strength in depth to justify a 24 team L3. The problem you’re all trying to solve is that there is a bottleneck with only two teams going up. Allowing more to go up - with a play-off between the L2 and NL team is the way to go. But if Maher gets us up most won’t care any more.
I really think it's short-sighted though. Being stuck as one of about 5 southern teams in a league full of northern teams adds a lot of costs and can't continue forever, costs are going to keep increasing and will eventually have to be recouped via more sponsorship, increased ticket costs or compromising on playing/non playing staff.

You're totally correct on the whole arrangement of TV deals, sponsorships etc which would be a minefield in itself which would probably kill everything off.

Part time though? I'd argue that Arbroath are fine as they are competing in the Scottish Championship with a semi-pro standing, so why couldn't Semi Pro teams compete in a regionalised L2, it's their funeral if a team of players training a couple of evenings a week are getting tanked 5-0 each week by professional outfits IMHO.

I really think it's short-sighted though. Being stuck as one of about 5 southern teams in a league full of northern teams adds a lot of costs and can't continue forever, costs are going to keep increasing and will eventually have to be recouped via more sponsorship, increased ticket costs or compromising on playing/non playing staff.

You're totally correct on the whole arrangement of TV deals, sponsorships etc which would be a minefield in itself which would probably kill everything off.

Part time though? I'd argue that Arbroath are fine as they are competing in the Scottish Championship with a semi-pro standing, so why couldn't Semi Pro teams compete in a regionalised L2, it's their funeral if a team of players training a couple of evenings a week are getting tanked 5-0 each week by professional outfits IMHO.

I’m not sure what division you are referring to with just 5 southern teams but a quarter of the teams in L2 and NL change each season. Taking the long term view you might be attempting to fix a problem which would be resolved with the turnover in a season or two anyway.

Plus does it really add a lot of cost? Teams don’t have to stay overnight which is presumably most of the cost. Otherwise it’s the cost of coach hire. It doesn’t even solve long journeys entirely as we’d still play someone like Torquay which is a longer trip than somewhere like York who we’d lose. For those more in the middle of the country they may lose the derbies people are trying to keep, so it’s a more complicated picture and less of a benefit than I think its advocates paint.

I wouldn’t say the Scottish leagues are an example for anyone to aspire to.

I’m not sure what division you are referring to with just 5 southern teams but a quarter of the teams in L2 and NL change each season. Taking the long term view you might be attempting to fix a problem which would be resolved with the turnover in a season or two anyway.

Plus does it really add a lot of cost? Teams don’t have to stay overnight which is presumably most of the cost. Otherwise it’s the cost of coach hire. It doesn’t even solve long journeys entirely as we’d still play someone like Torquay which is a longer trip than somewhere like York who we’d lose. For those more in the middle of the country they may lose the derbies people are trying to keep, so it’s a more complicated picture and less of a benefit than I think its advocates paint.

I wouldn’t say the Scottish leagues are an example for anyone to aspire to.
Too be honest I would expect the Devon and other west teams to play in the north as getting to them is probably just as easy as to southern team due to the road network

Are we really that desperate to be back in the league that we would take a promotion by default?! Here on merit unfortunately people.

How about relegating the whole of EFL league 2 and replacing it with The NL?!

Completely agree. More to the point, why would you expect a club that can survive financially to force their players to take 2nd jobs and become part time?

There are a number of clubs that have or are going full time. I'm sure they didn't do that on a whim, and actually worked out whether or not they can afford to. Why would you take that option away from them?

Personally i dont really want us to get promoted until we are ready ,that means financially and with a team that can be a force in lge2,we have now a good management team and scouting team ,Lets first get the players in that can be a force not just in the VNL but also the EFL, If that means giving these new young men from lower divisions a season or 2 to aclimatise and realise their potential so be it .Be patient everyone

Back