• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National league to vote on whether to scrap their season

It would be interesting to see what effect the announcement of no relegation this season would have on us and the teams in the relegation zone. Would we relax and suddenly start winning? Would we relax and start getting mullered again? Would we still battle grimly on, determined to get out of the bottom two by the end of the season so the woolly folk couldn't taunt us forever more about it...?
I think it would make the league quite odd as there will be nothing at stake for 1/3rd of the teams. Mind you everythings very tight so that might not be a factor.

The other thing that could be interesting is the National league players being available to snap up although something would have to happen this week for it to make any difference

It would be interesting to see what effect the announcement of no relegation this season would have on us and the teams in the relegation zone. Would we relax and suddenly start winning? Would we relax and start getting mullered again? Would we still battle grimly on, determined to get out of the bottom two by the end of the season so the woolly folk couldn't taunt us forever more about it...?
I don’t think there’ll be many woolly folk left soon—it’s only ever been a very small flock and their team are playing much worse than us.

Unbelievable, we are so rubbish that people are already looking for a get out of jail card....pathetic!

But Ron said we were going to get promotion...

There are few National League sides financed sufficiently to withstand a season of no gates.

Stating the obvious: a loan is clearly not a grant, and there would be only half a dozen clubs champing at the bit to regain a former League slot.

The balancing act for these chairmen is to hope it's jam tomorrow IF they get promoted.
But two out of six? That's a big gamble.

However, the NL and EFL would like them to continue for the 'integrity' of the game, and that doesn't bode well for us.

Someone said it was 'pathetic' to cling onto this hope, but pathetic or not, it's currently our best bet.
No new players in three days, and the die is cast. This squad, as a whole, ain't good enough.

For us and any other club to avoid demotion to the National League on the basis that the National League is cancelled would be a unacceptable imho and I personally do not believe that should be allowed to happen.

If there is no relegation then what incentive is there for clubs like ours and the other bottom feeders such as Grimsby, Stevenage etc to retain their more expensive players, and those on loan deals and simply pick teams with kids through to the end of the season and thus avoid having to also pay such things as win/appearance/clean sheet bonuses?

How unfair would that be to the rest of the clubs in this Division who are fighting for promotion if they have already played both games against a 'strongest' 11, when other clubs could face a much changed and weaker team. Would that support the integrity of a League structure?

We are where we deserve to be and are there on 'merit'. To have a competitive season decided on anything other than merit would devalue the whole pyramid structure even further imho, though I believe that already happened in lower leagues with the likes of Maldon & Tiptree being 'victims' of such decisions.

For us and any other club to avoid demotion to the National League on the basis that the National League is cancelled would be a unacceptable imho and I personally do not believe that should be allowed to happen.

If there is no relegation then what incentive is there for clubs like ours and the other bottom feeders such as Grimsby, Stevenage etc to retain their more expensive players, and those on loan deals and simply pick teams with kids through to the end of the season and thus avoid having to also pay such things as win/appearance/clean sheet bonuses?

How unfair would that be to the rest of the clubs in this Division who are fighting for promotion if they have already played both games against a 'strongest' 11, when other clubs could face a much changed and weaker team. Would that support the integrity of a League structure?

We are where we deserve to be and are there on 'merit'. To have a competitive season decided on anything other than merit would devalue the whole pyramid structure even further imho, though I believe that already happened in lower leagues with the likes of Maldon & Tiptree being 'victims' of such decisions.
It's a strong argument, but then the situation has arisen as a result of outside forces.
Had there been 6,000 inside the Hall on a regular basis, note the impact of just 2,000 against Grimsby; and had that revenue allowed us to make quicker signings, then what?
You might say it's the same for everyone, but this season is plain weird and the pyramid structure is not going to be affected in the future when normality returns.

I couldn't care less how we stay up as long as we do.

I would take getting enough points, relegation cancelled, other clubs going bust or Jesus coming down and doing his thing on us just as long as we don't end of going into a non league competition. **** all this taking the moral high ground lets just get through the hard times and not go out of the football league, whatever it takes.

It's a strong argument, but then the situation has arisen as a result of outside forces.
Had there been 6,000 inside the Hall on a regular basis, note the impact of just 2,000 against Grimsby; and had that revenue allowed us to make quicker signings, then what?
You might say it's the same for everyone, but this season is plain weird and the pyramid structure is not going to be affected in the future when normality returns.

Completely agree. Regardless of our situation, I think it’s plain wrong that clubs are relegated without fans in attendance. Anyone think Sheffield Utd would have been so poor for so long if their fans were there? This sanitised football is utter money grabbing tosh and I can’t enjoy it.

I’d be more miserable without sport but this they are serving up is just not up to scratch.

Completely agree. Regardless of our situation, I think it’s plain wrong that clubs are relegated without fans in attendance. Anyone think Sheffield Utd would have been so poor for so long if their fans were there? This sanitised football is utter money grabbing tosh and I can’t enjoy it.

I’d be more miserable without sport but this they are serving up is just not up to scratch.

So should all Teams that get promoted without fans be denied what they have worked so hard for all season?

So should all Teams that get promoted without fans be denied what they have worked so hard for all season?

My problem more with it is that I don’t think football should be being played without fans.

It’s a sham in my humble opinion.

Now that they are still playing, all for the money and not for the fans as they claim, then yes I agree that there should be promotions and relegation.

Still doesn’t make any of it right.

My problem more with it is that I don’t think football should be being played without fans.

Now that they are still playing, all for the money and not for the fans as they claim, then yes I agree that there should be promotions and relegation.

I agree that it's not right and in my opinion no football should be played in the current environment, but every person that pays for Sky TV and others has helped create a situation in England and in other countries where clubs in their respective top divisions are no longer dependent on gate income - TV income far outweighs getting people through the turnstiles.

This is the reality of our times sadly - even Marine made more money from online sales of their match than they would have made in front of a full stadium - we have all become the 'prawn sandwich' brigade without realizing it :0(

The premier league might be doing it for the money but I can't see how the lower leagues are, we're earning a lot less money compared to a normal season. We've gone from 6000 people paying £20 a match to half that number paying only £10 a match.

If Covid had happened the year Luggy took over we would have finished 92nd.

If it was normal circumstances this year we would not be 92nd. If Covid got us here, then theres no shame in it saving us.

I agree that it's not right and in my opinion no football should be played in the current environment, but every person that pays for Sky TV and others has helped create a situation in England and in other countries where clubs in their respective top divisions are no longer dependent on gate income - TV income far outweighs getting people through the turnstiles.

This is the reality of our times sadly - even Marine made more money from online sales of their match than they would have made in front of a full stadium - we have all become the 'prawn sandwich' brigade without realizing it :0(

Yeah, I watched a show on the Premier League shift with that scumbag, David Dein, fronting the move away from the rest of the pyramid. He was lauded as some sort of hero on that show. The day football died for me. Money kills any sport if allowed to infiltrate it in the way he smoothed into place. Made me so angry to watch it and is why I love lower league football.

The premier league might be doing it for the money but I can't see how the lower leagues are, we're earning a lot less money compared to a normal season. We've gone from 6000 people paying £20 a match to half that number paying only £10 a match.

Agreed about Premiership but why are we carrying on I don’t get it? Yeah, we got given money to so why isn’t the National League getting it too?

The national league clubs are voting on the resolution of their season on Monday, when does the transfer window close again?

Would relegation or going bust be preferable?

That's an interesting question and woirthy of some discussion on here I think.

As we all know, the Chairman has inextribably tied our future to his by buying up RH and Boots and Laces on the cheap.

If we were relegated to the NL and went bust then presumably the Chairman would be able to develop RH for housing with no need to build FF.

IF the NL isn't cancelled for this season or we somehow manage to reach 22nd spot then I imagine the building of FF will go ahead as planned.Whether SUFC ould survive for long on low crowds in either the NL or L2 at FF is a moot point.

Last edited:
Can’t see how the Conference National can finish their 46 match season within a reasonable time-scale, two clubs have played only 14 games to date and there are virtually certain to be more games called-off due to Covid.

Back