• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

Wingnut

Striker
just a question will being in it, be really a bad thing
least we will be the the biggest southern club

It won't be the end of the world as some people seem to think, but we would need to get back to L2 within a couple seasons I think. Torquay are running away with the division this year but it's taken them seven years to get back to L2 including seasons in the National League South. However it's worth noting that their attendances hardly fell at all from L2 to the NL and in fact doubled as they approached promotion from NLS. So whilst I'd rather we were in L2 it won't be an unmitigated disaster if we are relegated.

I flit between thinking it'll be a disaster, and thinking it'll be a good chance to wipe the slate clean and rebuild the squad from scratch. Big thing is the risk of not coming back up quickly.

As a fan of non-league football I'm quite looking forward to it.
The thing I'm not looking forward to is the likely continuing rot of Southend United.
The only clubs who've bounced back quickly are the ones who had a disaster season but were OK off the pitch, the likes of Shrewsbury, Bristol Rovers, Carlisle. Orient went down a mess but got new owners quickly and returned quickly.
For us, we are firmly in the basket case category, the Wrexhams, Torquays, Yorks, Hartlepools, chesterfields, Stockports etc...
History would suggest that if RM continues at the club we should be looking at the National South rather than League Two.

It won't be the end of the world as some people seem to think, but we would need to get back to L2 within a couple seasons I think. Torquay are running away with the division this year but it's taken them seven years to get back to L2 including seasons in the National League South. However it's worth noting that their attendances hardly fell at all from L2 to the NL and in fact doubled as they approached promotion from NLS. So whilst I'd rather we were in L2 it won't be an unmitigated disaster if we are relegated.

Torquay don't have much competition in terms of other league clubs on their doorsteps - just other lower division clubs, Plymouth and Exeter around 30 to 40 miles away. We have a host of London clubs in a range of divisions to compete with for fans.

I'd like to think gates wouldn't drop too much, but I wouldn't be too sure about it

National league a graveyard for ex league clubs. Hardest league to get out of in my opinion.

Yes it is difficult to get out of. Luton took five seasons and they always had 6000 plus fans cheering them on. They were relegated from Division 2 because the Football League harshly gave them a 30 point deduction. In their last season in Division 2 they won the JPTrophy, that and the injustice of losing 30 points galvanised their fans who were right behind the club. Despite this it took five seasons to get out. If we get relegated we are less likely to have the positivity around the club unlike the Luton situation.

The difference that ex league club come back to League 2 from conference, that they appointed an manager who know non league stuffs, like Grimsby, Bristol Rovers & Lincoln, now Stockport & Torquay too.

MM non league background will help us to rebuild and get us back to League 2 stronger in next 3 season.

The difference that ex league club come back to League 2 from conference, that they appointed an manager who know non league stuffs, like Grimsby, Bristol Rovers & Lincoln, now Stockport & Torquay too.

MM non league background will help us to rebuild and get us back to League 2 stronger in next 3 season.
And we are certainly signing players with knowledge of the NL.

Yes it is difficult to get out of. Luton took five seasons and they always had 6000 plus fans cheering them on. They were relegated from Division 2 because the Football League harshly gave them a 30 point deduction. In their last season in Division 2 they won the JPTrophy, that and the injustice of losing 30 points galvanised their fans who were right behind the club. Despite this it took five seasons to get out. If we get relegated we are less likely to have the positivity around the club unlike the Luton situation.
I would fear for us in lots of ways if we ended up in the national league. Can see the attendances taking big hit for starters!

It depends if Ron sells up as soon as he gets planning permission, if he does it'll be a totally clean slate for the club which is exactly what we need.

Mind you I guess the same thing goes if we somehow don't get relegated

It depends if Ron sells up as soon as he gets planning permission, if he does it'll be a totally clean slate for the club which is exactly what we need.

Mind you I guess the same thing goes if we somehow don't get relegated

We will still be in hock to Ron though as he will charge the club a hefty rent - a bit like the Ricoh owners and Coventry.

He's always said he wouldn't and any debt for rent would be written off.Not that he can be trusted to keep his word of course.

At the moment SEL charge the club £400k a year and the club owed them £13m at the end of June 2018 and probably more now.
I think all that will be written off when Roots Hall is sold.

I don’t think that occupation of a new stadium will be rent free though. If he wants to get rid I reckon the new club owners wold get it debt free but have no property assets.

41 years supporting our great club and its heartbreaking to think that we might be in the NL, something I never believed could or would happen to us. My life supporting has been L2 (Div 4), L1 (Div 3) and a few season in the Championship (Div 2), we even had the dream of Prem football under Judas Fry. But to witness what we have over the past few years and in particular yesterday has pushed me to an all time low. I pray and hope that we can somehow get out of this, but if it's Solihull and Wrexham next year then we will be there supporting, don't know anything else.

At the moment SEL charge the club £400k a year and the club owed them £13m at the end of June 2018 and probably more now.
I think all that will be written off when Roots Hall is sold.

I don’t think that occupation of a new stadium will be rent free though. If he wants to get rid I reckon the new club owners wold get it debt free but have no property assets.

Yeah, as I said, he's always promised to write off the existing debt.

I make you right on your second point.

I would fear for us in lots of ways if we ended up in the national league. Can see the attendances taking big hit for starters!

Luton went for the manager who had been successful in non league football, he got them out of it in his first season in charge.

Back