• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

...as per a post from me earlier.
Wealdstone have voted 'no' as will five or so others.
Which us brings us back to the debate from post #158 onwards.
How do you continue with a 17-team league and what do you with the results/fixtures from those six dropouts?
That's around 180 games played or to be played!
If they then did somehow manage to concoct a final league table from say 17 or so clubs, there would be absolutely no justification for promoting two clubs ( one via a play-offs lottery). That should be excellent news for the club finishing 23rd in League 2 !

One down, 22 to go!
Surely, it only needs three or more to render the league void? Four clubs x 20/21 games means 80+ games expunged if allowed to pull out.
That would make a mockery of the rest of the season, bearing in mind those four have a total 88 odd games to play.

The vote is on what the clubs would like to do. If your six clubs do vote to null and void but the vote is to carry on, I think you'll be surprised how many of them find a way to carry on although not their preference.

I would expect North to vote overwhelmingly to void, South to be a very close call but the Northern vote will see them stop too. I expect the National League to continue. Just my opinion of course.

The vote is on what the clubs would like to do. If your six clubs do vote to null and void but the vote is to carry on, I think you'll be surprised how many of them find a way to carry on although not their preference.

I would expect North to vote overwhelmingly to void, South to be a very close call but the Northern vote will see them stop too. I expect the National League to continue. Just my opinion of course.
You're right, Mick, I would be very surprised!
I have good contacts at Wealdstone, and they simply have little money left to pay players.
Yes, they could field a strictly amateur junior side, but you would see scores of 7-0, 8-0 etc - and therefore the integrity of the league would go to pot.
If I were relegated or kicked out as a result of the NL's intransigence in this mother of all situations I might want to use the last of my money to take strong legal advice.

As we expected, lets see what happens when clubs can't fulfil fixtures, it's going to be a total farce of a league when some of the sides start having their fans play the matches

It might sound like I’m saying this because of the position we find ourselves in (and about 60% of the it probably is) but in my opinion, with no promotions and relegations to and from the National league what with the N&S divisions finished, it’s bonkers that you can still get promoted from and relegate to such league when as someone already mentioned some teams won’t be able to fulfil fixtures etc

Vote apparently 16-7 to continue. Doubtful this will be the last heard on this if some of the clubs (like Dover) refuse to play-out their remaining fixtures. For the North and South clubs they‘ve incurred totally unnecessary expense by playing matches over the last couple of weeks. Barwick out!!!

This is just the start of the situation in my eyes, and looking at this as an independent situation and taking Southend position out of it, if you have 6/7 clubs who don’t want/can’t continue to play due to finances and don’t want to take loans due to long term impact, then leaves the league lacking sporting integrity but also open to legal challenges from both the NL teams, but also potentially the EFL clubs. If we look back to previous season EFL nearly didn’t relegate the bottom 2 because there was fear that the NL season wouldn’t go ahead. I believe they said at the time that it would not be morally correct to send a time down into a league which may not be functioning. My concern is more with the peoples who’s livelihoods are impacted through job losses but also people’s mental health with no escape from pandemic.

I think there is to be many legal challenges around this and will drag on for some time yet.

End of the day we as a club need to do the business on the pitch and not be in a position where relegation brings us into the situation, but if it does I fully expect a legal challenge to be undertaken by both clubs in 23 and 24 position in the league but also legal challenge from clubs in both NL and NLN/S.

NL Final vote 7 to stop, 13 to carry on, 2 votes not in yet, 1 abstention

NLN Final vote 15 to stop, 7 to carry on
NLS Final vote 9 to stop, 12 to carry on

Subject to FA approval.

This is just the start of the situation in my eyes, and looking at this as an independent situation and taking Southend position out of it, if you have 6/7 clubs who don’t want/can’t continue to play due to finances and don’t want to take loans due to long term impact, then leaves the league lacking sporting integrity but also open to legal challenges from both the NL teams, but also potentially the EFL clubs. If we look back to previous season EFL nearly didn’t relegate the bottom 2 because there was fear that the NL season wouldn’t go ahead. I believe they said at the time that it would not be morally correct to send a time down into a league which may not be functioning. My concern is more with the peoples who’s livelihoods are impacted through job losses but also people’s mental health with no escape from pandemic.

I think there is to be many legal challenges around this and will drag on for some time yet.

End of the day we as a club need to do the business on the pitch and not be in a position where relegation brings us into the situation, but if it does I fully expect a legal challenge to be undertaken by both clubs in 23 and 24 position in the league but also legal challenge from clubs in both NL and NLN/S.

To carry on the craziness, maybe they will decide the best thing would be to demote the teams that can’t play to north/south leagues and promote the top teams that wish to carry on into the National league just to get it finished

To carry on the craziness, maybe they will decide the best thing would be to demote the teams that can’t play to north/south leagues and promote the top teams that wish to carry on into the National league just to get it finished
I can’t see that happening but then who knows what will occur, never thought this would be the current situation with the leagues. we just need to do the business on the pitch and then it won’t impact us.

NL Final vote 7 to stop, 13 to carry on, 2 votes not in yet, 1 abstention

NLN Final vote 15 to stop, 7 to carry on
NLS Final vote 9 to stop, 12 to carry on

Subject to FA approval.
Thanks for the update, Mick: one more 'no' than predicted.
So let's assume the seven (maybe nine?) say we can't carry on, what next? A 13 team league?
You can put a gun to the bank cashier's head, but if the till is empty what's the point of shooting him?

As we expected, lets see what happens when clubs can't fulfil fixtures, it's going to be a total farce of a league when some of the sides start having their fans play the matches
Agree.
Wonder how far the NL will allow their 'product' to be tarnished with a bunch of junior sides playing the upper echelons?
We now assume no NL relegation, so off you go lads, thump our U17 sides 14-0 and see if we care!

Of 7 or 8 refuse to play or play the kids the surely the league cannot continue. It would make a complete mockery of the competition.

It's good to read this on the BBC website and for it not to mention us!

I spoke to someone in the EFL earlier who said promotion and relegation between the two leagues is still expected.But will Barrow and Grimsby - the current bottom two - feel it is fair to be relegated if the league below has had a season where just over the half the teams completed it?

The league set out the rules for a vote 50% majority wins they have 13 so thats it. Don’t know why some of our fans seem hellbent on us getting a free pass. The only team saying they aren’t going to continue is Dover. We are going to have to finish 22nd or above, get over it

Of 7 or 8 refuse to play or play the kids the surely the league cannot continue. It would make a complete mockery of the competition.
Only team saying right now that they aren’t going to continue is Dover. The fact there are 7 teams who voted against and only 1 is saying they won’t continue or even make public they voted against would suggest to me that the others will play on despite losing

Last edited:
Back