• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

Yes, I didn't mean the term pub teams to be particularly derogatory, it's just an accepted term for new kids on the block teams with small grounds and no EFL history isn't it? Maybe that's incorrect. There's nothing wrong with pub teams. It's just that I'm an old geezer and I see some long-established football clubs which have spent most of their years in the EFL as "proper" clubs which includes Barrow (although I appreciate that they have spent 53 years in the EFL and 51 years in non-league). As I said many of the pub teams (for want of a better word) are in the EFL on merit and just because Stockport, for example, have an all-seater 10,500 stadium shouldn't disqualify Harrogate, for example, with their 3,800 capacity 500 seat ground. I'd be really pleased if Great Wakering Rovers with their 3000 capacity 250 seat stadium got into the EFL but they'd still be a pub team in my eyes...... no offence to Rovers.
Wow!
Normally, I accept your posts as more than readable, Barling, but since when was it 'accepted' (and by who?) that another word for new kids was 'pub' teams?
That's new to me.
The reason for promotion started in 1987 was to deter an old boys club (it was old boys) who re-elected failing sides without a glance at the merits of applications from non-league clubs.
It was grossly unfair, and smacked of nepotism at best, and corruption at worst.
What's 'proper' about an FL side that's been in the league a long time?
Are Peterborough an example of a proper league club? They've only been in the league 61 years.
Are Bradford PA and Darlington 'proper' clubs because they have a longer FL history?
I'll go with your line: 'Maybe that's incorrect'.

Nobody is “too big” for any league. You get promoted and relegated as - by and large - you deserve to. I read a lot of disrespectful crap about so called “smaller” teams or the National League. Guaranteed if we go down, opponents would want to knock us down to size. It would be tough don’t worry about that. But some great away days!! I don’t subscribe to the fact if we went down it would be the end of the world or we’d go bust. And I think we’ve more chance coming back up if we have a bit of stability rather than even more chopping & changing. There’s a total rebuild in place, that doesn’t end abruptly if we fail to stay up. Let’s think long term for once!!

Wow!
Normally, I accept your posts as more than readable, Barling, but since when was it 'accepted' (and by who?) that another word for new kids was 'pub' teams?
That's new to me.
The reason for promotion started in 1987 was to deter an old boys club (it was old boys) who re-elected failing sides without a glance at the merits of applications from non-league clubs.
It was grossly unfair, and smacked of nepotism at best, and corruption at worst.
What's 'proper' about an FL side that's been in the league a long time?
Are Peterborough an example of a proper league club? They've only been in the league 61 years.
Are Bradford PA and Darlington 'proper' clubs because they have a longer FL history?
I'll go with your line: 'Maybe that's incorrect'.

Well fair enough. True ignorance on my part. I apologise for any offence and stand corrected. I shall not use that term again unless it's applied to a team from a real pub. I also agree with what you say about re-election. In fact the team of the moment, Barrow, are a good example of what was wrong with re-election. They were apparently relegated back in 1972 despite not finishing bottom because Hereford had done well in the FA cup, weren't as remotely located and Barrow wanted to build a speedway track around their pitch to try to improve their income. In 95 years only 16 clubs weren't re-elected. Cumbria has been unlucky because five years after Barrow were ejected their rivals Workington also failed to be re-elected.

The National League is very low on integrity right now. Not because of the lack of relegation but due to the immense "government-strength" levels of incompetence and duplicity from their Board.
If you were to say because there will be no relegation there should be no promotion either, that would of course be extrapolated to League Two and then League One and then the Championship. Good luck with selling that idea to Norwich City.

If there was no relegation to the NL it doesn't mean the leagues above have to follow suit. Its a different league and L2 (4th Tier) had decades of no relegation. Didn't make the 80/81 season any less enjoyable.

I'm not bothered as we will finish above at least 2 teams but a stronger argument for no relegation is not the integrity of this season but what will happen next season with clubs on the brink. The EFL could refuse to send down 2 clubs into the financial unknown, so to speak.

If there was no relegation to the NL it doesn't mean the leagues above have to follow suit. Its a different league and L2 (4th Tier) had decades of no relegation. Didn't make the 80/81 season any less enjoyable.

I'm not bothered as we will finish above at least 2 teams but a stronger argument for no relegation is not the integrity of this season but what will happen next season with clubs on the brink. The EFL could refuse to send down 2 clubs into the financial unknown, so to speak.

How could one lobby for that?

How could one lobby for that?

Personally I think it has no chance. The authorities involved would have to admit they made a mistake by insisting on full leagues of 46 games. Non league and even L1 and L2 travelling up and down the length of the country during a pandemic was a shockingly poor decision.

Personally I think it has no chance. The authorities involved would have to admit they made a mistake by insisting on full leagues of 46 games. Non league and even L1 and L2 travelling up and down the length of the country during a pandemic was a shockingly poor decision.

The best the bottom two clubs could ask for is a playoff between national league and league clubs to see which league they belong in. But again that wont happen, bottom two in league two will be relegated to the national league.

The best the bottom two clubs could ask for is a playoff between national league and league clubs to see which league they belong in. But again that wont happen, bottom two in league two will be relegated to the national league.

That would seal our fate.

I doubt our attendances would drop that much, probably not at all if we were challenging at the top.

I doubt our attendances would drop that much, probably not at all if we were challenging at the top.
Depends on how much Ron puts the ticket prices up by.
Will be interesting to see how many Season tickets we sell that will give a good indication.

Anyway we might not go down yet!!

Yes the ex football league clubs have established fan bases who say they will never support them again when they drop out of the EFL, but rush back at the slightest sign of success:Smile:
Did your crowds increase or decrease in the NL? And were there many of your fans thinking relegation would be the end of Col Ewe??

National league average attendances, I went for 2019-20 season so it is pre Covid. https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/attendances/2019-2020
Was going to post this myself.
Note the 1,000 gap between Notts at the top (5,000) and Stockport second.
You have to go to ninth before you come to a club, Woking, that have never been in the FL.
If we are there next season, there's going to be a big target on our backs for the likes of Bromley and Barnet, assuming no NL relegation.

You think some of the away support we would take to some of these grounds, only problem is I think most of them would make it all ticket for our away support to a lot of them.

Back