• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nations League relegation for England

Getting the increasing feeling that this World Cup will be Southgate's last tournament. We've stalled since the Euros. He's done a lot of good things as England manager but I think he's taken the team as far as he can. Let's face it, at the 2018 World Cup we lost to the only two decent teams we played. At the Euros last year, we had a great opportunity and blew it in the final, partly because of his decisions (late subs, bringing on players for penalties).

The fact we've not scored a goal from open play in nearly 500 minutes is embarrassing given the attacking quality we have. His tactics and team selection are baffling at times. Naming Toney in the squad but then not in the matchday squad is poor man management - why do you need 2 goalkeepers on the bench? We know Kane's going to be in the WC squad, why not give Toney a runout?

That said, if he does go, I have no idea who'd replace him at the moment.

Only Southgate could take such potent, positive footballers for their clubs and turn them into the **** England dish up in the international break.

If the FA had any nuts on them they'd have sacked him after the 4-0 Hungary embarrassment.

I've read one of his books and it's evident that he's a bit of a soft character, not that it makes him a bad guy. For me, he's always been too 'Mr Nice Guy' to reach that final tier of success. Maybe a lack of a ruthless streak/cutting edge is the best way to put it.

Last edited:
GS has done a lot of good with England,beaten the teams we should beat,but struggles against the better teams,especially when things dont go the way he hoped or we go behind.
Seems a real nice bloke but maybe a general manager,assistant manager more than what he is doing now.
Got the England fans together again,but looks like he losing that now.
When i was in Munich for the Germany v England game(june),spoke to many England fans,some fans who were at world/Euro cups like Brazil,France,Russia etc and not one fan thought GS would win anything for England.Nobody disliked him,but also thought he lacked something.
God help us if Germany beat us tomorrow at Wembley,i do think GS will leave his job after the world cup.But who will take his place? Englands not known now for producing good managers,so if he goes maybe another foreinger!!! but lets pray he does well,wins the cup and stays manager...but dont hold your breath

Yep,poor again. Southgate is the first Englishman to be relegated as a player,club and national manager
Sadly a deserved win for a poor Italian team.
Don’t think people much care for the Nations League really. I still don’t understand it lol.

Still I suppose it makes Scotland feel better.

When was this? He's always played dull football, it's just an effective way of playing in knockout competitions so it's done us quite well in them, in a league format it's useless.
Few games post the World Cup we played some good stuff, mainly in the nations league games in its first year. Spain away when we won 3-2 springs to mind , and a few other games around that time. But otherwise he plays dull, negative,safety first football and does not use our attacking strengths to his advantage. Hopefully, the World Cup kicks everyone into gear however I’m doubtful. We should be winning our group comfortably but on the past 4 games I wouldn’t even be sure we win a game!

Well the 21 game unbeaten run was pretty impressive, I would be very happy if the Blues could do that ☺️

Maybe I was thinking of the England women 🤔 the men's game could learn so much from their positivity, attitude and commitment 👍

Getting the increasing feeling that this World Cup will be Southgate's last tournament. We've stalled since the Euros. He's done a lot of good things as England manager but I think he's taken the team as far as he can. Let's face it, at the 2018 World Cup we lost to the only two decent teams we played. At the Euros last year, we had a great opportunity and blew it in the final, partly because of his decisions (late subs, bringing on players for penalties).

The fact we've not scored a goal from open play in nearly 500 minutes is embarrassing given the attacking quality we have. His tactics and team selection are baffling at times. Naming Toney in the squad but then not in the matchday squad is poor man management - why do you need 2 goalkeepers on the bench? We know Kane's going to be in the WC squad, why not give Toney a runout?

That said, if he does go, I have no idea who'd replace him at the moment.
Eddie Howe must be a good bet.

Eddie Howe must be a good bet.
In a few years maybe but the Newcastle fans seem very happy with him as it stands so I doubt he'll be available if Southgate gets sacked after the WC. Potter would have been a good shout until Chelsea bought him in.

Dont think the FA (who are incompetent) will sack GS,maybe even if we dont get out of our group,
GS will say goodbye and thanks and we wish him well.
Question ... who is now the chairperson of the FA?? I think its a women? But has anybody ever heard her talk?About England going foreward?Is she real??
I live in Germany and heard/seen nowt on UK tv but im sure you have!!!!
Another useless FA chairperson?

GS needs to use this relegation to show the FA how few players of English selection he has available from the top teams. And the supporters of those top teams need to recognise that the system and control of buying and hiring foriegn managers, players, coaches by foreign owners is not helping English, (or Welsh, Scots) top flight football, except for a few.

GS needs to use this relegation to show the FA how few players of English selection he has available from the top teams. And the supporters of those top teams need to recognise that the system and control of buying and hiring foriegn managers, players, coaches by foreign owners is not helping English, (or Welsh, Scots) top flight football, except for a few.
The way he was talking in the media earlier about his contract running to 2026 and saying he wasn't "foolish" indicates that he knows perfectly well he'll be judged by results in Qatar.Bye Gareth.

Heard talk that Potter was being lined up for the job , but he has just taken over the Hogwarts ,do dont think thats on the cards

This is a weak excuse, most nations in the world are crap at a domestic club level (even France outside PSG) and so most of their squad plays in foreign leagues. Most national team managers have a much smaller pool of players at "top" clubs to choose from than England yet do better than us and it probably helps them having players that come from different leagues because it means they aren't drilled to play the same league's system.

There's nothing stopping our players from going abroad either, Bellingham did it and he's probably going to start at the world cup despite only being 19.

Last edited:
Back