• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Need a new(ish) car - "advice" please

Oh rite, see about the merc c class, don't knno prices but should be around 10k. Used to have one but sort of got bored with it, but i get bored with all my cars so don't let that worry you but i used to really like it. Practical aswell.

Not with the way they are hiking the road tax. Plus the smaller 4x4s have very little luggage space!

I never wanted a French motor but having now had 2 (at the Mrs' discretion) I don't see why they get such a bad rep. Wouldn't buy a Citroen though!

Then you sir are an idiot. Citroen are the most reliable car on the road. I work in the Rescue & Recovery business and I see what gets recovered and what do not. You rarely get Citroens being towed to the garage that are less than 7 years old and newer ones are almost unheard of going wrong. I am just going to take delivery of my third one in 6 years ( the rather sexy C4 LOBE, only 100 made and are the dogs knackers) you can't beat them and are by far the best French vehicle on the market.

Don't by German anymore, very shoddy compared to years gone by. The Spainish Seat are knocking out a few very decent motors of late though it has to be said.

For fun and reliability get an Impreza every time. Need more room? Get the wagon version. Also, fit a big old exhaust pipe, some Gold Wheels and you even forget you are getting old.

Never driven an impreza but my mate bought one and said it was a useless family car but a bloody brilliant one for the weekends.

One Car for the Job

VW GOLF, TDi, MK 4, 5 DOOR

Huge Boot Space, Deisel (Cheap to run), Rapid, Look good, and very comfortable!

2nd that I have a TDI Golf 53 plate that I picked up for 10k.

Good fuel consumption and a pleasure to drive.

I've got a '98 Renault Espace. Having owned a lot of different cars, you can't beat them for comfort and space. Can be pricey when they go wrong though, but ok if you avoid the Renault dealers. For reliability of parts you can't beat a Japanese vehicle. German build quality has gone downhill as someone mentioned.
Fords are cheap to buy and cheap to repair, but can be very basic to drive. If you do go for a Mondeo you can pick up a second- hand Ghia X which has cruise control and leather seats for a reasonable price. If you've got kids you want seats you can wipe over. Whatever you buy go for low mileage as a priority. I wouldn't touch anything over 80000 miles.

I've got a '98 Renault Espace. Having owned a lot of different cars, you can't beat them for comfort and space. Can be pricey when they go wrong though, but ok if you avoid the Renault dealers. For reliability of parts you can't beat a Japanese vehicle. German build quality has gone downhill as someone mentioned.
Fords are cheap to buy and cheap to repair, but can be very basic to drive. If you do go for a Mondeo you can pick up a second- hand Ghia X which has cruise control and leather seats for a reasonable price. If you've got kids you want seats you can wipe over. Whatever you buy go for low mileage as a priority. I wouldn't touch anything over 80000 miles.

To be honest I try and look below 40k milage and I'm not keen on Fords. Trouble is nothing is really standing out and screaming "buy me!" at the moment. The car either looks bland on the outside, on the inside or both! I'm not quite ready to be "middle aged dad" so a gnats c**k street cred would be nice! Somebody mentioned Seat - anybody any exprience? Or have I just shot myself in the foot there as they are on a par with Kia?!

Stick with BMW, I love mine and will upgrade when ready for another. A 3series Touring will have plenty of space and all the refinements of a BMW you are used to. Pick up an 02 plate for the money easily.

As there's Oirish in the family how about the original Catholicmobile?

25d3_2.JPG

Oooh, oooh... OK, how about this one:

NISSAN X-Trail 2.0i SE+ , 5 Doors, Manual 5 speed, All Terrain, LPG, 2002 02 Reg , 39,000 miles, Metallic Black, 1 Owner. ABS, Adjustable seats, Alloy wheels, Climate Control, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Foglights, Front armrest, Full service history, Leather upholstery, Roof rails, Radio/CD Multichanger, Side airbags. LPG CONVERSION £8,995

That should tick a fair few moneypit boxes. It's Japanese - thus reliable, cheap to service, and the X-trail tends to get good reviews. It's relatively young, and is under 40,000 miles. It scores reasonably well on the "not looking like a family car" stakes. And it's LPG - cheaper to run, you can feel smug about the environment, and you can register for congestion charge exemption - i.e. you pay £10 for the year, and then the congestion charge in London no longer applies.

And it's right in your budget!

:D

Oh, you'd have to go to Bradford to get it, but that could be worth the journey...

Matt

Ok, really struggling with this one. I've currently got a BMW 323i coupe which has to go as I now have a 3 month old baby - it's just not practical. My budget is 8-10k and it needs to have good boot space, child friendly and be good on a run as we plan to drive down to the south of France later in the year and also make a trip or two to Ireland every year to see the in-laws.

Ok, so what do I buy and why? The floor is now open....

How much you wanna sell the BMW for mate I mite be interested

First baby arriving June 23rd - gone to order my new car - Audi A3 Sportback to be told all new Audi A3's are factory ordered at the moment with expected delivery mid September - gutted.

Never driven an impreza but my mate bought one and said it was a useless family car but a bloody brilliant one for the weekends.

Oh I dunno - I managed to just about squeeze everything we needed in the boot for a few days break in the Lake District just after Easter, apart from the bags on the floor in the back (but kids have short legs :D ). I suspect the 20 mpg might prove a bit steep though, and that's on a slowish run.

Anything Japanese or Korean (eg Kia) will be as cheap as chips, have all the 'extras' added in as standard and will be reliable. I've now had Japanese cars for the last 15 years and I'd never go back to a Ford.

20 mpg is brilliant compared to my ****ing Range Rover. Just buy someting that is practicle but means you can have fun too. Something german.

Last edited:
Back