• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Neil Townsend

Lives in Northampton, two guys we were sitting next to at Northampton on Saturday were meeting him after the game.

I'm pretty sure I saw Neil Townsend score from about 80 yards once. IIRC (which is difficult given how young I was, and how long ago it was) he was in the right back position in the North West corner and launched a long ball forward which deceived all our forwards, and the opposition's defense before deceiving the goalkeeper and bouncing over his head and into the net.

I'm pretty sure I saw Neil Townsend score from about 80 yards once. IIRC (which is difficult given how young I was, and how long ago it was) he was in the right back position in the North West corner and launched a long ball forward which deceived all our forwards, and the opposition's defense before deceiving the goalkeeper and bouncing over his head and into the net.

Yes, me too but unfortunately I can't remember any more about it than you !
He was definitely in our half and the ball bounced up over the keeper's head.

Good player - proper old fashioned centre half.

Yes, me too but unfortunately I can't remember any more about it than you !
He was definitely in our half and the ball bounced up over the keeper's head.

Good player - proper old fashioned centre half.

April 7th 1978, scored from about 65 yards v. Darlington in a 2-0 win. I remember that goal well! Their keeper ended up on his hands and knees crawling after the ball. Dod Gy Keeper!

One of the best Centre halves we ever had - in my opinion. If my memory serves me well he started with Terry Bradbury as a partner and then formed a fantastic partnership with Alan Moody.

April 7th 1978, scored from about 65 yards v. Darlington in a 2-0 win. I remember that goal well! Their keeper ended up on his hands and knees crawling after the ball. Dod Gy Keeper!
On the way to promotion .:happy:

Back