• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

NetBook broken, can I still get the files?

chadded

Not striking since 2004
Basically, the netbook I took to Afghanistan with me last year, the screen is cracked and broken. Is there a way I can get the files off the hard drive, as there are photos on there that I really want a copy of.

If anyone on here can do it, then I can lace your hand with silver, or can anyone recommend anyone reliable.

Cheers,

Steve.

Firstly - can you plug an external screen into the netbook and view it?

If not - you'll need to get the hard drive out and mount it in an external enclosure like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Dr...79243978&sr=8-1&keywords=hard+drive+enclosure

Or if you already have an external hard drive, then you can open it up, take out the hard drive and put the one from your laptop in.

Google broken laptop files and you'll find lots of help.

If you don't fancy fiddling around, then take it to a computer shop and they can do this in half an hour.

Good luck!

What's the make and model of the netbook? The onboard storage might not be removable which will make things a little more complicated.

I recently broke mine. I can highly recommend these guys http://www.laptopscreenonline.com/. Was easy to find my screen on their website. You have the choice for just the screen, or they can fit it for you for £38. I paid £80 all in. They arranged for parcelforce to pick it up Monday morning, I had it back fully working by Thursday morning. They even returned the broken screen for some reason. I used HDMI and connected to my tv whilst the screen was broken.

Back