• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimpereeee

First XI
Were my eyes deceiving me or did Benyon spend half time warming up with the Southend subs before being told off by one of the Torquay training staff?

He was a good lad. Had a good laugh with him in Madrid the first year, terrible striker though.

I saw that. What must his team mates have thought? Pretty poor actually. By all means go and say hi to your mates before and after the game, but training with the opposition at half time? That's a no no.

Thats funny!. Didn't see this occur from my seat in the west stand

Woeful player in the rare opportunities he was afforded. One thing I would say about him was he always seemed to encourage his team mates and celebrate goals despite getting splinters himself. He was a well respected player in and around the changing room too.

Scored an important penalty en route to Wembley too.

Woeful player in the rare opportunities he was afforded. One thing I would say about him was he always seemed to encourage his team mates and celebrate goals despite getting splinters himself. He was a well respected player in and around the changing room too.

Scored an important penalty en route to Wembley too.

Fair point, I'd forgot that.

I can also remember him doing the commentary for an away game last season where he was very good value.

Good Luck to him ! He obviously made good friends at our club + was a real team player despite not having the rub of the green on the pitch for us .....to be fair to Benyon , there was so much activity on the pitch at half time ( cheerleaders / penalties / kick boxing / silly running through hoops with bean bags ) there was hardly any space for the subs to kick about anyway!

Also a few players got soaked by the sprinklers though !!! ...When Egan ran back on the pitch he took a right old drenching!

What really capped it was when we scored & Benyon jumped up from the Torquay bench & screamed "Get in there Freddie my Son" whilst making an inappropriate gesture to the Torquay fans. Only the intervention of the rest of the Torquay subs , the fourth offical & 2 stewards prevented Benyon from invading the pitch to join in the goal celebrations.
At this point I presumed that his contract may well be up in the summer.

Last edited:
Back