• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New airport mentioned in Echo

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
6 runway airport off Sheppey - i.e. near Southend pier! Any mileage (pardon the pun) in this scheme?

What about the boat in the Thames that's full of explosives - or is that myth?

Im sure if they wanted to build an airport there the ship will be blown up.

Cant see that happening though.

They have always talked about a Thames estuary airport. FF will be built before this ever gets started and we all know FF isn't happening anytime soon.

Im sure if they wanted to build an airport there the ship will be blown up.

Cant see that happening though.

Blowing up the boat will just result in a large amount of unexploded ordnance being spread over a very large area of the Estuary, thus exacerbating the problem rather than solving it. The Richard Montgomery is a very difficult problem, which is why it has been left to rot.

Boris Island? Never happen.

Reminds me of a joke I heard at The Comedy Store many years ago. One of the acts had made his own lyrics to the song Walk on the Wild Side (which is also topical ATM):

Who's that floating in the Water?
Is it Maxwell? No, it's Gibraltar.

Blowing up the boat will just result in a large amount of unexploded ordnance being spread over a very large area of the Estuary, thus exacerbating the problem rather than solving it. The Richard Montgomery is a very difficult problem, which is why it has been left to rot.

And the ****ing Yanks wont do anything to help and its their ship!

According to a survey conducted in 2000 by the United Kingdom Maritime and Coastguard Agency,[1] the wreck still held munitions containing approximately 1,400 tonnes (1,500 short tons) of TNT high explosive.[1] These comprise the following items of ordnance:

286 × 2,000 lb (910 kg) high explosive "Blockbuster" bombs[8]
4,439 × 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs of various types
1,925 × 500 lb (230 kg) bombs
2,815 fragmentation bombs and bomb clusters
Various explosive booster charges
Various smoke bombs, including white phosphorus bombs
Various pyrotechnic signals

According to a survey conducted in 2000 by the United Kingdom Maritime and Coastguard Agency,[1] the wreck still held munitions containing approximately 1,400 tonnes (1,500 short tons) of TNT high explosive.[1] These comprise the following items of ordnance:

286 × 2,000 lb (910 kg) high explosive "Blockbuster" bombs[8]
4,439 × 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs of various types
1,925 × 500 lb (230 kg) bombs
2,815 fragmentation bombs and bomb clusters
Various explosive booster charges
Various smoke bombs, including white phosphorus bombs
Various pyrotechnic signals

I'm no expert, but surely if it's underwater it's all defunct?

Just had one of Boris`s men down here in Cornwall extolling the virtues of the proposed Boris Island and a fulltime link with Newquay :nope:

Just had one of Boris`s men down here in Cornwall extolling the virtues of the proposed Boris Island and a fulltime link with Newquay :nope:

:off topic:
Heard on your regional news that those Gatwick slots are going and Newquay Airports's at risk of closing (many flights are less than half full apparently).

Hope not.I've only used it once (as you know) but I thought it was a pretty good service.

Back