• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New battle for SZ (film lovers).

MK Shrimper

Striker
When it's all quiet, howsabout Battle of the Film Directors?

Scorsese, Tarantino, Peter Jackson, George Lucas (:D), Fellini, Jarmusch, Michael Bay (:puke) etc.....

We could do, but I fear it'd be pointless as Hitchcock would **** over them all.

Maybe the next Battle should be something a bit more 'throwaway' as it's ultimately a bit hard to shift people's perceptions of films / directors / bands they've liked all their life?

Perhaps it should be 'Best fizzy drink?' or even 'Best unnecessary sex scene in a 15 rated movie'?

We could do, but I fear it'd be pointless as Hitchcock would **** over them all.

Maybe the next Battle should be something a bit more 'throwaway' as it's ultimately a bit hard to shift people's perceptions of films / directors / bands they've liked all their life?

Perhaps it should be 'Best fizzy drink?' or even 'Best unnecessary sex scene in a 15 rated movie'?

Over QT or Marty....I dunno?

It's all subjective, directors, in any case. A lot of people like lesser known directors so the 'popular' vote would only go to the people they know without reflecting on the quality of the lesser known ones. My favourite is Bill Forsyth but who's heard of him apart from a few eccentrics and people who like the off-beat?

What about reviving Your 100 Favourite Hymns? Or 'Favourite places for the English Defence League to march at'?

I think these polls are a load of bolleaux and the results are clouded by tactical voting and those voting for obscure left field options to try and make themselves look clever/educated.

The question we all want answered is 'Who is SZones hardest poster'?

In order to make things as interesting as possible users should be unable to nominate themselves but will be obliged to compete if nominated into the final 32 by others. The mods should change the SZ terms and conditions so the full power of the law can be brought into force if nominated members fail to turn up for a heat/fight.

I believe this way we will have a good balance of those who court confrontation and those who can look after themselves without looking for trouble.

A good example of the former would be someone like Begbie from Trainspotting who is obviously a nutcase.

A good example of the latter would be Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid who is obviously nails but would be unlikely to provoke a fight by flicking peanuts in a pub or throwing chips in a late night queue at a taxi rank.

Last edited:
or South Park

Without wanting to sound like an eternal bore, The Simpsons would walk it with Family Guy in second I suspect.

And that's because all of these poll threads are nearly always won by the common denominators. That's why the 'totty' ones or more throwaway ideas are better IMHO, as you can sway people opinions and show pictorial evidence.

But trying to convince someone that Kubrick is better than Spielberg without forcing them to sit through 25 hours of film? Never going to happen alas.

Whereas trying to convince people that Milky Bar's are better than Snickers by showing them Simon Pegg dressed as the Milky Bar kid or that Anin Bing is the hottest wag? Much more doable.

Without wanting to sound like an eternal bore, The Simpsons would walk it with Family Guy in second I suspect.

And that's because all of these poll threads are nearly always won by the common denominators. That's why the 'totty' ones or more throwaway ideas are better IMHO, as you can sway people opinions and show pictorial evidence.

But trying to convince someone that Kubrick is better than Spielberg without forcing them to sit through 25 hours of film? Never going to happen alas.

Whereas trying to convince people that Milky Bar's are better than Snickers by showing them Simon Pegg dressed as the Milky Bar kid or that Anin Bing is the hottest wag? Much more doable.

completely agree.

Back