• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New captain

Who would you choose?

• Total voters
Milligan if he is a nailed on starter every game. Failing that Kiernan whose injuries woes are hopefully long behind him now

In case you can't be bothered to plough through the Echo article plus adverts, this is how voters on an Echo online poll have voted:

An online Echosport poll on who should be the next club captain attracted more than 1,200 votes and saw White and Milligan locked level as both received 39 per cent of the choices.
Shrimpers striker Cox, who is currently sidelined with calf injuries, finished third in the poll with 18 per cent of the votes while Mantom was in fourth with four per cent.

So a strange thing happened when I tried to vote. Was lining up to vote for Milligan when my phone slipped slightly out of my hand and I ended up pressing White by mistake. Without the ability to change my vote I could do nothing. That one vote ended up making all the difference!

Mantom wore the armband last night but Milligan was the one leading. When there was an injury break he even conducted a post mortem on the first goal we conceded.

John White would make an excellent club captain as ambassador with his charity/kids visits.

Lets not forget that it was John White who went to Cambridge to represent the club after that infamous incident.......Something not many people would do full stop.

So a strange thing happened when I tried to vote. Was lining up to vote for Milligan when my phone slipped slightly out of my hand and I ended up pressing White by mistake. Without the ability to change my vote I could do nothing. That one vote ended up making all the difference!
See. that's what happens when you vote in an Echo poll. If you want I can move your vote above to JW if it would make you feel better?

See. that's what happens when you vote in an Echo poll. If you want I can move your vote above to JW if it would make you feel better?

Why not?

To be honest either is a good option as I believe having leadership skills all over the pitch is more important than one singular captain anyway and the likes of Kiernan and Cox and Mantom on top of White and Milligan can only be a good thing anyway.

Does League One Southend United give the captaincy to a man who has captained an international team in World Cups (and played in four of them) and who has been brought in to form part of the coaching set-up in following years?

KB “hasn’t thought about it yet.....”

Does League One Southend United give the captaincy to a man who has captained an international team in World Cups (and played in four of them) and who has been brought in to form part of the coaching set-up in following years?

KB “hasn’t thought about it yet.....”

Translation........Obviously I have, I just want to see Milligan settle in first over a few friendlies...If not it will be Kiernan

Those who were at Billericay, was Milligan vocal?

The only surprise in the article for me was that Sam Mantom was obviously next in line.
I reckon Mantom being given the captain's armband last season was a major contribution to his dips in form. I've always rated the bloke and I still do but at times he was trying too hard and ended up neither fish nor fowl at times. Free of the armband I hope that he will produce the sort of form and performances that showed what a good player he can be for the side. It worrys me that some sections of the crowd have now decided that he's rubbish and slate him way too often. The way for players like Mantom to show their true form is when the supporters back them through thick and thin.

I reckon Mantom being given the captain's armband last season was a major contribution to his dips in form. I've always rated the bloke and I still do but at times he was trying too hard and ended up neither fish nor fowl at times. Free of the armband I hope that he will produce the sort of form and performances that showed what a good player he can be for the side. It worrys me that some sections of the crowd have now decided that he's rubbish and slate him way too often. The way for players like Mantom to show their true form is when the supporters back them through thick and thin.
Mantom for Me is not skipper material!
He seems to be a confidence player and when going well can hold his own,when things not so good for him seems to beat himself up.

Back