• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Car Advice

Looking for some advise regarding a new car.

Both the Mrs and myself have got an old car on it's last legs. We are thinking towards the future (having a family) etc, and thoughts are with possibly getting a brand new car, but which one? Where from? etc!

Any advice greatfully received, from experience getting a new car, to what you would recommend.

Depends what you need really. A lot of people think they will never have a new car but the way they can be financed these days its not as dear as you think and it comes with the benefit of a 3 year warranty, no mot required for 3 years and a years road tax. What have you got in mind?

We were in a similar situation last year and bought an 18 month old Golf.

We love it - fantastic car. Easy to drive and park, cruises well, enough poke to make it fun, bags of space and really safe. Decent reliability. A car we'll keep for 10 years and run into the ground.

Exactly, I always thought I wouldn't have a new car, but it does appear that it might actually be a good idea to do so.

We don't need anything too fancy, just a nice (safe) family car.

Had originally thought a Ford Fiesta, the only apparent downside there is they don't offer interest free repayments.

Bought from new a Modeo Estate,now its nineth year and never had a major problem,great leg room at the back and a boot that can take the kids cots,toys,play pens and still tons of room for luggage
2 litre and still get 48 mpg

Would advise to haggle with a new car, amazing what adds on you can get especially from different Ford dealers who want a sale and are willing to go the extra mile if it means a sale

Getting a new Focus Zetec on Friday. Reasonable monthly payments, negligible (£20 pa) road tax, really economical, built in sat nav. It's a direct replacement for one I've had the last two years, which I have loved.

That said, as long as it goes forward and backward when I ask it and has somewhere to plug in my iPod, I'm happy.

Bought from new a Modeo Estate,now its nineth year and never had a major problem,great leg room at the back and a boot that can take the kids cots,toys,play pens and still tons of room for luggage
2 litre and still get 48 mpg

Would advise to haggle with a new car, amazing what adds on you can get especially from different Ford dealers who want a sale and are willing to go the extra mile if it means a sale

My bro-in-law has just started as a car salesman for VW. He says that commission isn't massive on the basic sale but they get a good (and multiplicative) %age on each additional extra.

I've no idea on the numbers, but say you buy a basic car and they get 5% commission. Then for a £10k car that's £500. However say you buy 3 extras (at £500 each) for that car. The commission rate is the basic % multipled by the number of extras (They might make 5%*#extras = 15% on the extras (which at £1500 = £225 commission)).

Therefore they might negotiate hard on the extras (and be willing to use this as a bargaining tool). They could drop the basic price quite a bit if you buy a few extras you want/need.

A Porsche 911. Why settle for second place.

I hasten to add I know as much about cars as Kevin Maher does about particle physics.

Looking for some advise regarding a new car.

Both the Mrs and myself have got an old car on it's last legs. We are thinking towards the future (having a family) etc, and thoughts are with possibly getting a brand new car, but which one? Where from? etc!

Any advice greatfully received, from experience getting a new car, to what you would recommend.

Depending on your budget my suggestion would be a Vauxhall Insignia, they are a really great car and look really classy for not that expensive money.

Depending on your budget my suggestion would be a Vauxhall Insignia, they are a really great car and look really classy for not that expensive money.

Is there a more boring car than an Insignia?

Getting a new Focus Zetec on Friday. Reasonable monthly payments, negligible (£20 pa) road tax, really economical, built in sat nav. It's a direct replacement for one I've had the last two years, which I have loved.

That said, as long as it goes forward and backward when I ask it and has somewhere to plug in my iPod, I'm happy.[/QUOTE You should see if you can get a bubble car like your Dads and uncle Charlies one , a real legend on the driveway in Bilton road .

Id take the Insignia over a Golf every day (my brother has and Insignia and I thought it was a lovely car), but its personal taste isn't it..

They are also different classes to each other so not really comparable.

Do you think an Insignia is better than a Golf? Genuinely?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-hatchback/summary/26158-5

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/vauxhall/insignia-hatchback/summary/25825-5

Seriously - I've always found the Vauxhalls I've driven to be underpowered, boring, and dreadfully styled.

Honestly, NO!

VW make excellent cars but as a reasonably priced vehicle fit for a family an Insignia is a great car. If you have more of a budget I would look more towards the VW Passat or Audi A4.

Honestly, NO!

VW make excellent cars but as a reasonably priced vehicle fit for a family an Insignia is a great car. If you have more of a budget I would look more towards the VW Passat or Audi A4.

Looks like you're leaning towards a saloon than a hatchback. Personally I think hatchbacks are better for families (I know you can get an insignia hatchback). As Jam_Man says, it's personal preference.

Back