• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Contracts

Desert Shrimper

The Oil Baron
It looks to me that we have some serious financial assets on our playing staff for the first time in years.

Barrett - Should hit 10 goals this year from centre back.

Gower - In his second season of consistent match winning performances/assists.

Eastwood - A 20 goals a season man who can score goals from nothing.

Maher - Highest number of goal assists in the division. Mr Dependable.

Flahavan - Seemingly in the form of his life.

Dudfield - Without doubt one of the best centre forwards we have had at the hall in years.

Is now not the time to start extending contracts to protect our investments and ensure we don't give Fat Judas another 100k for doing nothing?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Feb. 20 2005,13:29)]Eastwood - A 20 goals a season man who can score goals from nothing.
Two from the last ten games isn't exactly prolific though ... and a tad worrying.

WS

I think that you might be jumping the gun a little there. I hear what your saying but these players are good honest pro's.They are not Premier$hite quality. Freddy has been very poor for the last few games. Barrett is a local lad who is having a very good season. Flavs has had a few good games, but would he have played so well if bart hadn't kept him out of the team? Gower is a decent player ,but no more than a League 1 player in my opinion. Maher is for me the only player that looks he could command a fee because he has been consistant for a number of years. That said i hope that all of them stay , because we will need them and a few more quality signings next season to stay up in the division above or get automatic promotion from league two next year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Feb. 20 2005,13:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Feb. 20 2005,13:29)]Eastwood - A 20 goals a season man who can score goals from nothing.
Two from the last ten games isn't exactly prolific though ... and a tad worrying.

WS
Give him a full pre-season to get his fitness up and for the rest of the players to get to know his game a bit more and then see how he goes. Even the best goalscorers go through barren runs.

I also think we need to work out his position (I'm not convinced he's an out and out centre-forward) and work out who we want to play him with and then just give them a run together. Eastwood's dip in form has coincided with Dudfield's return to the team and maybe thats not a coincidence. Theres no doubting his quality though. If his volley against Scunny after he'd chipped the ball up a couple of times had gone in then it would have been the greatest goal seen at the Hall in many a year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Feb. 20 2005,13:35)]I think that you might be jumping the gun a little there. I hear what your saying but these players are good honest pro's.They are not Premier$hite quality. Freddy has been very poor for the last few games. Barrett is a local lad who is having a very good season. Flavs has had a few good games, but would he have played so well if bart hadn't kept him out of the team? Gower is a decent player ,but no more than a League 1 player in my opinion. Maher is for me the only player that looks he could command a fee because he has been consistant for a number of years. That said i hope that all of them stay , because we will need them and a few more quality signings next season to stay up in the division above or get automatic promotion from league two next year.
I don't think these players are Premier$hite quality either but certainly players good enough to get teams promoted from this division and possibly the next. That alone means that we should protect our interests and extend contracts where necessary to ensure we're not caught out by mealy-mouthed, Peterborough based vultures at the end of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Feb. 20 2005,13:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Feb. 20 2005,13:31)]

WS
Give him a full pre-season to get his fitness up and for the rest of the players to get to know his game a bit more and then see how he goes. Even the best goalscorers go through barren runs.
Oh indeed, I'm not slating him per se. But we could do with Eastwood regularly hitting the back of the net at the moment.

WS

I think Freddy's now paying for the explosive start to his Shrimpers career in that we maybe expect too much from him now, every forward goes through a dry spell now and again. And to be honest he hasn't exactly had much playing time over the last few games has he?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Feb. 20 2005,13:50)]I think Freddy's now paying for the explosive start to his Shrimpers career in that we maybe expect too much from him now, every forward goes through a dry spell now and again. And to be honest he hasn't exactly had much playing time over the last few games has he?
Well, he's played 549 minutes of football since the beginning of 2005 - an average of about 68 minutes a game - with a return of just two goals. Let's hope he finds his shooting boots very soon, especially with the easier games coming up. Do you think there might be a lack of confidence creeping in?

WS

Well, Eastwood really doesn't seem to be getting the same amount of time on the pitch as he was and it also seems he's not been playing quite as well.

Still, SAFE don't back him for nothing and we are certain he will come through this difficult spell in his career. One goal and I reckon he'll start scoring again. Not at Easter though, because I'm back for a month!!

He's actually played in almost 80% of the games that he has been available for, far more than the likes of Wayne Gray (74.73%), Lawrie Dudfield (51.11%) and Tes Bramble (44.35%). I hope that his scoring touch returns soon and the SAFE can truly celebrate his return to form!

WS

He's not a goalscorer though and shouldn't be judged solely on the goals he gets. He's much more of a Trundle type player imo, in that he's going to get you 15 a season but add a lot more in terms of his all-round game. (I know Trundle has scored a lot of goals this season). Obviously we want him to score goals but if he only gets a couple more this year then that wouldn't really be the end of the World as long as Lawrie Dudfield (who is an out-and-out goalscorer) can keep knocking them in and Barrett, Gower and the rest can chip in with a few.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Feb. 20 2005,14:20)]He's not a goalscorer though and shouldn't be judged solely on the goals he gets. He's much more of a Trundle type player imo, in that he's going to get you 15 a season but add a lot more in terms of his all-round game. (I know Trundle has scored a lot of goals this season). Obviously we want him to score goals but if he only gets a couple more this year then that wouldn't really be the end of the World as long as Lawrie Dudfield (who is an out-and-out goalscorer) can keep knocking them in and Barrett, Gower and the rest can chip in with a few.
Agreed. As I say, I'm not having a go at the lad, just concerned ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Feb. 20 2005,15:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Feb. 20 2005,14:20)]He's not a goalscorer though and shouldn't be judged solely on the goals he gets. He's much more of a Trundle type player imo, in that he's going to get you 15 a season but add a lot more in terms of his all-round game. (I know Trundle has scored a lot of goals this season). Obviously we want him to score goals but if he only gets a couple more this year then that wouldn't really be the end of the World as long as Lawrie Dudfield (who is an out-and-out goalscorer) can keep knocking them in and Barrett, Gower and the rest can chip in with a few.
Agreed. As I say, I'm not having a go at the lad, just concerned ...

WS
One of the reasons he isn't scoring as many could be the fact that opposing teams now mark him out of the game because they NOW know how good he can be, as opposed to a new face they knew little about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Feb. 20 2005,18:15)]fredy seems a better player when gower is on the pitch
Definitely. I think in terms of genuine creativity, those two are our best. If Gower's on the pitch and Eastwood plays reasonably close to him, there's no way they can effectively mark both out of a game.

They both seem to be on the same wavelength in my opinion, just look at Freddy's goal Vs Darlington.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Feb. 20 2005,18:15)]fredy seems a better player when gower is on the pitch
Yes, I'd go along with that. Well as long as we keep winning games, I don't give a monkey who scores. Im sure against the worser teams in the league in the next few games, Freddy will break his barren spell!

Freddy plays much better with Wayne Gray.
The pace of one and the trickery of the other compliment each other.
Dudfield and Eastwood doesn't seem to work as well,but which forward line fits in with the rest of the team,especially away from home.

OK, time for some highly subjective and no doubt hotly disputed values.

ASSUMING (note, assuming) all playing to current form as per this season with two year contracts to run, and taking into account their age here is my valuation re what we might get for them if someone came looking:

Gremink £50,000
Flavs £50,000
Wilson £30,000
Hunt £250,000
Jupp FREE
Edwards FREE
Prior FREE
Barrett £100,000
Maher £100,000
Bentley £30,000
Gower £250,000
Petts £100,000
Gray £100,000
Eastwood £500,000
Dudfield £150,000
Bramble FREE

This was done in a rush - dinner on table! Eastwood gets top price because of potential and clubs will always buy that.

Total in quick calc = £1,710,000.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Back