• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

turkishm

Director
PB, dont concede, seems to have gone out the window lately, if he is here next season, for me top of his shopping list is going to be defenders. The present set up, for me dont look good enough.

they wont in a system that they are still relatively inexperienced at using and doesnt often work against the most used systems in the division. add into that wingers playing both wing back roles, while an attacking full back gets shifted to centre back with arguable 2 better centre backs on the bench, and its not exactly much of a mystery any more...

100% agree. I am happy with the full backs - Coker, White & O'Neill. Assuming Bentley leaves I would like to try Ted Smith in goal and if it's a bit early for him then get in a loan keeper 'til he is ready. Barrett I would like to retain as cover for injuries but get him in the coaching set up for the future as he is Southend through and through. The central defence requires two/three new faces who are tall, can mark tight and don't back peddle at the first sign of an attack. Bolger & Prosser seem to have all but left and Thompson is not good enough IMO. Currently Barnett is having to come back to defend on every set piece as there is no one else much over 6ft which just highlights the lack of height.

100% agree. I am happy with the full backs - Coker, White & O'Neill. Assuming Bentley leaves I would like to try Ted Smith in goal and if it's a bit early for him then get in a loan keeper 'til he is ready. Barrett I would like to retain as cover for injuries but get him in the coaching set up for the future as he is Southend through and through. The central defence requires two/three new faces who are tall, can mark tight and don't back peddle at the first sign of an attack. Bolger & Prosser seem to have all but left and Thompson is not good enough IMO. Currently Barnett is having to come back to defend on every set piece as there is no one else much over 6ft which just highlights the lack of height.

Spot on.
Poor old Barrett is being pulled all over the place trying to head the ball out, as he knows Thompson isn't the best in the air. More height to the back four is a must.

Spot on.
Poor old Barrett is being pulled all over the place trying to head the ball out, as he knows Thompson isn't the best in the air. More height to the back four is a must.

I agree that he normally does some defensive work during a game, as did BBBC, its in his job description. Yesterday I don't think Barnett and the penalty box and surrounding area had even a nodding acquaintance.

Whilst I like both Thompson and Barrett individually they just don't work as a partnership. I do feel that part of the reason is the lack of height, I hope we can bring in at least one defender who will be more dominant in the air.

We have a goal difference of +1 - quite poor for a team that was looking to get into the play-offs - and we have conceded 4 goals on more than one occasion this season.

Even though I would prefer to win 3-2 compared with 1-0, I still say that keeping a clean sheet in many games is both a way to avoid relegation and a way to be there competing for promotion.

So I would agree that some new blood in defence is a priority for next season.

If Barrett is to play less of a role next season then a seasoned experienced defender (perhaps one dropping down from the league above) would be on my shopping list.

A new central pairing is a must. We always look vulnerable especially at corners and free kicks. There's no denying our current 2 are fully committed, often putting their bodies on the line, but they hardly ever win balls in the the air. Thomos distribution out of defence also leaves a lot to be desired.

Having watched Leicester City's last two games, I was impressed with their defence. The way they organise themselves, the way they attack the ball and amount of ball they are able to head clear in their own area. Even if they are unable to cleanly win the ball they put enough pressure on the attacker so as to deny them a clean header. It also appears that almost every loose ball cleared by the defence is picked up by a Leicester player. It occurred to me that this commitment and organisation should be drummed into our own defence. The fact that Leicester have no big names in defence but are willing to perform the basics of defending should be applied to Southend

For me, an experienced keeper on a one year deal who can compete with Ted. If Ted's not yet ready then he can play, and if Ted is ready then he can help use his experience to bring him along. That said, it's obviously easier to talk about signing someone good enough for this level who would be happy to sit on the bench while a youngster starts.

With White and O'Neill I don't think they're the best options, but they'll certainly do. We should have other priorities this summer, both will do a job at this level and have another year on their deals. This one is one to look at next summer.

In central defence, I'd like to see a pairing of players with a bit of experience at this level who are still near the top of their game. Adam Barrett won't be able to play week in week out for that much longer and Adam Thompson is still developing. For me, in a strong side neither would be first choice but very high quality back ups. If it's still Phil in charge and he wants to continue with three at the back, then possibly another one on loan. Prosser isn't good enough for me, I'd keep Bolger but if the rumours of him not fitting with the squad may mean we're better off considering other options.

Would be good if one of those centre backs could also cover at left back, or work on that role with McLaughlin or another player, to give some cover for Coker, provided we can hold on to him over the summer.

Having watched Leicester City's last two games, I was impressed with their defence. The way they organise themselves, the way they attack the ball and amount of ball they are able to head clear in their own area. Even if they are unable to cleanly win the ball they put enough pressure on the attacker so as to deny them a clean header. It also appears that almost every loose ball cleared by the defence is picked up by a Leicester player. It occurred to me that this commitment and organisation should be drummed into our own defence. The fact that Leicester have no big names in defence but are willing to perform the basics of defending should be applied to Southend

Spot on! The key point about Leicester is that they play it simple, no messing. Ranieri always plays with 4 at the back of which the two centre backs are key. It is important to note that neither player is blessed with speed and virtually the same players are kept in to develop the teamwork and consistency. They are also very well organised and it is very noticeable that MIDFIELD are just as essential to the defensive concept of keeping a clean sheet. They move up and down the pitch as a well organised unit, ensuring there are no GAPS between the back four and midfield. Leicester were scoring goals for fun earlier and Vardy has now reached 20. However they are now winning 1nil regularly as those partnerships in midfield and defence have developed. They are not fiddling about with systems every game or changing it. 3 times a during a match! Apart from Vardys clear skill, again much of this success is down to the consistency of playing 4-4-2 and not constantly tinkering.
So whilst we need strengthening at the back, it is imperative to consider the linked role of midfield and the importance of simplicity , organisation and consistency

Spot on! The key point about Leicester is that they play it simple, no messing. Ranieri always plays with 4 at the back of which the two centre backs are key. It is important to note that neither player is blessed with speed and virtually the same players are kept in to develop the teamwork and consistency. They are also very well organised and it is very noticeable that MIDFIELD are just as essential to the defensive concept of keeping a clean sheet. They move up and down the pitch as a well organised unit, ensuring there are no GAPS between the back four and midfield. Leicester were scoring goals for fun earlier and Vardy has now reached 20. However they are now winning 1nil regularly as those partnerships in midfield and defence have developed. They are not fiddling about with systems every game or changing it. 3 times a during a match! Apart from Vardys clear skill, again much of this success is down to the consistency of playing 4-4-2 and not constantly tinkering.
So whilst we need strengthening at the back, it is imperative to consider the linked role of midfield and the importance of simplicity , organisation and consistency

Agreed,

City attack in numbers yet rarely defend in numbers,when they defend corners they often leave 2 up for the ball over the top or down the lines.

Too many managers over complicate playing wierd formations demanding their players adapt and when they can't the manager changes players and so on.

It's strange that the tinkerman is likely to win the league because he hasn't tinkered. When Ranieri did it at Chelsea it was done with a squad of riches who were all better than most of their opposition. The result of the top teams doing that has been the smaller perm teams doing it and then it following on further down the league. We don't have the riches though, so find your best team and stick with it. The only exception being the 2 games in 3 days at Christmas... Which was one where PB left the same team in place

Decent commanding centre half, who can also score from set pieces, job done. White, Barrett, Thompson and Coker have all been injured but have proved they can play comfortably at this level.

Back