• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The new ABBA penalty format is to be trialled across Football League competitions in 2017/18 with the potential to first see it at Roots Hall as soon as tomorrow week.

The team going first will take one kick, the opponents will then take two consecutive kicks followed by the original team taking two consecutive kicks and then the opponents again taking two and so on, two at a time.

As Shaun Harvey, EFL Chief Executive said in his usual bullshitting way: “We welcome innovation at the EFL and I am pleased to see that the EFL is able to play its part in an important development for football.

“IFAB have identified a theory that the current arrangements for penalty kicks potentially provide an unfair advantage to the team taking the first kick so we are keen to see if the new system has an impact on one of the most discussed issues in football.

“We all want football matches to be decided in a fair and consistent manner and I am sure the new system will add an interesting dynamic to the conclusion of matches in our competitions if required.”

And, of course, at the end the winner takes it all.

Is this for real? What an absolute farce. Football isn't broken so stop trying to fix it.

Because it needed changing? Rather they go after corrupt and dodgy owners.

I seriously had to check the calendar to make sure this isn't 1st April. Surely its not genuine?

of all the things in football that need changing, they come up with this? Anyway I thought they tossed a coin, the winner got to choose either which end, or whether to go first, not both. And I also thought the general consensus is its better to go first?

I just know I'm setting myself up to look a right berk here, someone is going to point out why its an obvious joke in a minute..

They do this in tennis when there's a tie break. The first person serves then the other takes the next 2 and so on.

I'm not sure why the need to change this though, it didn't need changing.

I didn't think anything could surprise me in football anymore, but I was wrong, as is this theory. Absolutely ludicrous change for no good reason.

Totally agree. God knows how much it cost the FA to come up with this idea :thumbdown:

Like it or not, you can't really blame the FA. As per Mick's post, it's a decision by the EFL. UEFA have trialled it too, in youth tournaments.

It might make penalty shoot-outs more of a 50/50 than they currently are (when the sides are evenly matched that is) and it costs nothing to implement. I don't see the issue.

I guess that they want to try something different, and the concept actually does make sense. Teams going first in penalty shootouts tend to win, meaning a toss of a coin has too much influence on a result. With this idea, the pressure changes from one team to the other, making it fairer. It's exactly the same process used in a tie break in Tennis with who is serving.

I would actually go further and scrap penalties and bring in a more skilled idea. One player runs with the ball from about 30 yards out and has just 1 shot, they can shoot whenever they like. The keeper is allowed to come off the line. Same process as penalties, 5 attempts each.

Like it or not, you can't really blame the FA. As per Mick's post, it's a decision by the EFL. UEFA have trialled it too, in youth tournaments.

It might make penalty shoot-outs more of a 50/50 than they currently are (when the sides are evenly matched that is) and it costs nothing to implement. I don't see the issue.

I wasn't aware of that.

Through experience, it costs money to implement anything in any business. You have to do a study test, several meetings and many presentation to get people to buy into the idea. It certainly isn't cheap.

Seems to make sense and there's zero harm in giving something a try. the same idea works great in tennis with the pressure switching completely every two points. Currently in shoot-outs there's less pressure on the kicker of the team going first because even if it gets to sudden death and they miss the keeper can still get them out of bother.

Penalty shoot-outs are broken currently. It's a complete fallacy that they're a lottery. The better side almost always wins if it goes to pens.

I guess that they want to try something different, and the concept actually does make sense. Teams going first in penalty shootouts tend to win, meaning a toss of a coin has too much influence on a result. With this idea, the pressure changes from one team to the other, making it fairer. It's exactly the same process used in a tie break in Tennis with who is serving.

I would actually go further and scrap penalties and bring in a more skilled idea. One player runs with the ball from about 30 yards out and has just 1 shot, they can shoot whenever they like. The keeper is allowed to come off the line. Same process as penalties, 5 attempts each.

Don Howe, the old Arsenal coach, was championing that idea way back in the Seventies. obviously he didn't have much success with it.

The issue is the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude that has taken English football right to the bottom over the last few decades.

English football is at the bottom because our top teams don't have English players and are not managed by English managers. It is far easier to spend millions on an "off the shelf" Spaniard or German than it is to develop kids in the players. (just look at the number of players Chelsea loan out every season).

Anyhow, I don't actually have an issue with this. England will still go out of major tournaments regardless of what order they are taken in and its a minor change.

What does worry me is the on-going discussion about changing the playing time to 60 minutes (ball in play) or moving away from a game of two halves.

Seems to make sense and there's zero harm in giving something a try. the same idea works great in tennis with the pressure switching completely every two points. Currently in shoot-outs there's less pressure on the kicker of the team going first because even if it gets to sudden death and they miss the keeper can still get them out of bother.

Penalty shoot-outs are broken currently. It's a complete fallacy that they're a lottery. The better side almost always wins if it goes to pens.

It does you're right and has worked it that way in Tennis for as long as I can remember.

They used that exact method in the old Major Soccer League back in the 70's / 80's but the real football world didn't like it & it never caught on.

Back