• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Like Tyga I live in Australia and don't post too much. I come on here to catch up with the latest news and too see who is drawing the ire of most posters. :stunned:

I like that there are different sections of the site and not it's not just about football, Canvey Shrimpers Prediction League is a particular favourite (especially after winning once :smile:).

So if we could keep most of the areas of the current website I'd be happy.

Likewise, I've been browsing for a long time. I contribute financially to the up keep of the site too. I would say I am on the zone at least one, or twice a day for 10 - 15 minutes, longer at weekends before and after matches.

Like the posters above, I live overseas (China). I use the site to keep updated about the day to day, transfers and most importantly match day reviews. I do also frequent the Ex-Shrimpers, and Homer's bar as part of my trawl. Occasionally the tech zone. I do love a poll!

I've never heard it called Shrimper Moan, and there are posts that reference the "constant moaning" but I do believe that's part and parcel of online football fans forums.

I personally wouldn’t get hung up on the fact you have more members than regular posters. I post semi-frequently when a certain thread takes my interest and I feel I can add something. But at other times I’m simply happy to just read through the opinions of others and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

As for whether the Zone is becoming redundant because of other social platforms, I still feel it has a place. For example if there was no Zone we’d have to resort to trawling through Twitter or Facebook. The beauty of Shrimperzone is it is a collection of like minded individuals and now has quite an established community. I feel like the original site owners and contributors should be really proud of what this site has become.

Oooohhhh... a bit unnecessary I think.

And whilst the zone is a place I love and have sponsored/supported for years, I think it's this type of thing that actually cheeses a lot of people off; too many people can never let things go, keep having digs at each other in all manner of threads, the past is constantly dug up, revived and presented as new again in all manner of irrelevant arguments which makes the threads sometimes a bit boring and definitely a turn off.

Why does Mark Stevart (someone who's completely harmless) have the tagline "I post like an idiot" under his name?

Why does Mark Stevart (someone who's completely harmless) have the tagline "I post like an idiot" under his name?

I thought that was him trying to be funny.

But seriously, everyone has gripes every so often with one or two other posters but we seem (generally, not just on this board) to have lost the art of not only debate but to be incapable of accepting someone else's opinion as valid if it doesn't match ours. Last season almost every match ratings thread before PB went degenerated into a slanging match between the same sets of posters and it became very boring.

Pubey, I know you had issues last season over something or other - no idea what - and I thought that's what you were referring to so apologies if I was incorrect.

But as an ardent supporter of the zone and main sponsor for many years, I've given my answer to the question asked. If I'm thinking that, then what are other less enthusiastic people thinking?

I come on here daily when possible, even in the off season, but no longer post anywhere near as much as I used to. However, when I do I hope to add something, either by way of making someone laugh, providing a bit of inside info (I don't get much but when I do it's usually interesting) or just some hopefully well formed opinion about the game/a player/the management/whatever, all of which I am happy to discuss until the cows come home.

What I don't particularly want to read is just inane claptrap and personal insults and I know I'm not alone in that. This is where the mods have such an incredibly hard job in trying to keep everything nice and friendly (which is something I think they do pretty well actually), and I know it's something they strive to do because of the vast number of posters who, for similar reasons to me, have either left the zone or become "lurkers".

I think I've just accepted that this is what it is as a new generation of fans come through and old fogeys like me slip off quietly into the distance, full of cynicism as we watch the youngsters and their newly found hope, simply knowing that we've been there, seen it, done it, read the book, watched the film and bought the t-shirt. These kids have no idea how the hope will at some point turn to despair as the blue shackles of Southend United FC slowly wrap themselves around their auras and personas, never to depart, thereby committing the incumbents to a lifetime of frustration, expense, annoyance and dejection, with every so often an event that produces joy and adrenalin at such a level that it makes it all worthwhile.

Actually, that sounds like the zone a bit, doesn't it?

This popped up on my Facebook - 9 years ago today the SZFC Sunrise to Sunset match raising over £8,000 (I think) for the Angelina Our Star charity (I think?!). Amazing day and playing against Ricky Holmes was slightly surreal.

djiyngw.png

Posters from other teams when they talk about recent/forthcoming matches
Funny ones (posts not posters)
Match ratings
Pre match chat
Transfers etc

Dislikes
The ongoing bickering between posters
Being mean to other posters

It was just a bit of fun at the time, no harm meant by it and it has been changed back.

It was just a bit of fun at the time, no harm meant by it and it has been changed back.
Ok well I'm 'telling you what I think' - I don't think it's funny and I don't think it comes across well at all.

Glad it's been changed back.

There isn't a lot wrong with the Zone. I would like a few more match reports from less regular posters to be put on & sometimes I get the impression some posters are just waiting for others to either start " the ball rolling" or be able to jump on a match report with a few lines of contrary argument with little new logic behind the post.
The politics threads get tiresome as the same posters repeat the same stuff ad nausea and do not appear to read or comprehend the arguments debated; too often with an ego, superior, know all style. How that can be altered is beyond anyone as that is likely a reflection of politics in general.
The new threads, such as the recent first trip to Roots Hall by the guy doing the 92 was, imo, excellent, and I would encourage anyone to start a thread on an interest of theirs as there will be others on here who will be interested.
keep up the good work ladies and gents as this is, IMO, the best football forum I know of by a country mile.

This popped up on my Facebook - 9 years ago today the SZFC Sunrise to Sunset match raising over £8,000 (I think) for the Angelina Our Star charity (I think?!). Amazing day and playing against Ricky Holmes was slightly surreal.

djiyngw.png

Remember this well, making like about 100 puddings for the post marathon chow down!

Likes: the reasoned debate on most forums which very good, match reports and general humour throughout the site and the the great job done by admins.

Dislikes: political threads - personal view, but don’t quite see the purpose of them, umpteen pages of reptitive content and now seemingly reduced to political point-scoring.

As for them who love a good conspiracy (the know it all brigade) ...aarrgghh......should get a life and try to understand there’s every chance they might well be wrong in their ‘facts’.

Admau1....

Its been a few years but did i get the SUFC v Manure video off you at Daggers ? Adam ? I was Shrimp &2 Veg back then.

Last edited:
I post quite a lot and perhaps now is a good time to say "I'm sorry - truly sorry."

I do like it when posters from other clubs come on to the site and give their views - both of us and their own team. Seeing things (such as the state of Roots Hall :sad:) from another viewpoint gives a more balanced view of things.

I'm not sure how we could encourage posters from other clubs ......... perhaps someone would be willing to sign onto the site of every other team in the league and say "you are welcome to come on Shrimperzone and it would be good to see you post" ...............

......... quite a task - and no - I am not volunteering to do that!

Forgot to mention dislikes ........ but they are the same as many have mentioned above .......except ....

I really, really (and really again) dislike with a passion called hate the Americano spell checker on here. It drives me up the wall, round the bend and creates steam that emits from both ears simultaneously. There - I feel better for that.

As others have said in other posts, I don't post as I don't have anything to add. Enjoy reading the thoughts of others about the best team in the world as I continue to be an exile (although from recent reports seems like Southend isn't what it was, but the Essential Southend Landmarks thread brings back interesting memories). Long live Shrimperzone and I look forward to the musings through the close season.

I lived abroad in the late 80's/early 90's (well Jersey!) and the only way of keeping in touch was I arranged to have Southend programmes sent out after each home game or Teletext. So i fully appreciate the difference a site like this makes although Social Media/Internet with even the Evening Echo available online.

News Scoops; Match Reports; diverse views; combined knowledge from a large audience and humour!

Dislikes:

Formation of cliques (you are either 'in' or 'out') which can have an effect (if you are the latter) of posting and being invisible which may discourage future posting.

Unnecessary enmity between posters.

It's technically my 2nd account but I didn't post much on my previous one either. My username was a bit outdated and couldn't see a way to change it.

Whoops probably should of replied with quote.

Back