• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Ground & Local Elections

overseas shrimper

Life President⭐
I see the Conservatives lost Southend and the council is now in no overall control. Does anyone have any idea how this might effect 'progress' (I use that word cautiously) on the new ground?

I’d say it depends on which councillors specifically lost their seats and what the newcomers think individually (if that’s known yet). First prize for stating the bleedin obvious goes to me! Some Tories had been quite supportive and others were probably dead against. I hope that utter berk John Lamb lost his seat

Quite disappointed that the people of Castle Point are happy to let our Council continue with the complacency that they've had for years. Quite a few independents out there deserved a chance to make a difference in my book.

Spoke to the Local Tory candidate yesterday.
He said that despite "it looking like that" although he wasn't in planning he was sure that the council were not delaying FF until Seaway went through.
He thought that they could both go through, but seaway was a really good deal for the Town.
When I asked if he was sure the Town could sustain two multiplex cinemas . he just went Umm....

As for change , I am not sure whether the ruling coalition, which will eventually take over , I imagine Con / Ind as opposed to Lab /Ind , will be little different to the current Conservative council regarding major issues.

Tories ousted in Basildon, but still still have most seats in NOC
Slimeball Kerry Smith manages to hold on to his seat, though in his defence ,he is the only one you see canvassing at night and making the right noises re roads and selling land off

Meg Davidson (tory) got back in in my seat which is an area adjacent to The Hall and FF, she and the Indy (who came 2nd) would not give a straight answer to all/any SUFC questions. I don't expect a change to a coalition local guv to alter the delays etc from SBC.

Meg Davidson (tory) got back in in my seat which is an area adjacent to The Hall and FF, she and the Indy (who came 2nd) would not give a straight answer to all/any SUFC questions. I don't expect a change to a coalition local guv to alter the delays etc from SBC.

Makings of a parliament MP there MG:Hilarious:

Not really, both seem quite pleasant, well meaning but non footie people who look at you when talking to you, unlike my expense cheating, house swapping Wet Spammer D. Amess.
Ex Basildon Mr Amess as well jumping out when going got tough, was my MP for a few years, along with Harvey Procter:ROFL:

The conservatives are still the largest party but have lost their majority. I think its almost certain they will be replaced as the administration in Southend, most likely we'll see a return of an Independent/ Labour/LibDem coalition if they can agree a deal. The Tories have never liked/wanted to share power with anyone, so a period in opposition for them I think.

Sadly Mr Lamb is still on the council as his seat wasn't up for election, but the LibDems did win West Leigh (his ward) so he ill be sweating for his seat next time. Good to see Paul Collins win for the LibDems in Eastwood, long time West Stand Season ticket holder.

Ex Basildon Mr Amess as well jumping out when going got tough, was my MP for a few years, along with Harvey Procter:ROFL:

ahh the old days when Billericay used to be one of the first to declare.
I knew Harveys agent, used to drink with his son, He used to refer to me as "that Pinko friend of yours"

Teresa Gorman wasn't a great deal of cop either.

Moonman was the last decent MP Bilericay had

ahh the old days when Billericay used to be one of the first to declare.
I knew Harveys agent, used to drink with his son, He used to refer to me as "that Pinko friend of yours"

Teresa Gorman wasn't a great deal of cop either.

Moonman was the last decent MP Bilericay had

100 percent agreed, true gentleman and a sad lost

IIRC he will now have to stop going to RH or declare an interest and not vote of any issues he may have a conflict of interst on

Do people who go to the cinema have to withdraw from issues re new multi-screen cinemas ??

Didn't think so !

I don’t think he should declare an interest at all unless he has a financial or other concrete personal stake in the decision being taken. Using the services of a company or other institution is not an interest and does not contravene the Nolan principles of public life at all.

I don’t think he should declare an interest at all unless he has a financial or other concrete personal stake in the decision being taken. Using the services of a company or other institution is not an interest and does not contravene the Nolan principles of public life at all.

Under the rules at least the biggest decision on the future of our Town can be made by people who have no idea or even an interest in football........

The last thing any council needs is someone who might have some reasonable knowledge on the subject, when it comes to making a decision.

I think this was mentioned a week or so ago when referring to Ron Woodley , a comment was made , Rigsby I think, that RW only goes 5 times a season now due to the conflict, I am sure that previous councillors have fallen foul as well .

As for the Nolan principles

I think it boils done to how this is interpreted

Honesty – Holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest.

https://www.leadinggovernance.com/blog/nolan-principles-20-years

is interested in , or has in interest in ???

Given that in modern parlance Disinterested (does not have an interest in) and Uninterested (Is not interested in) have merged into one and the same meaning who would want to make a call on that !!

Back