• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New ground update?

Not that it matters i guess once our beloved hall is bulldozed. But are their pictures of whats being built there?

He needs to get cracking on it - he can't develop Roots Hall or have any of the flats at FF occupied until phase 1 of the stadium is built - mind that was phase 1 of the current approved planning application with 13000 odd seats
So we will move seamlessly from rh to ff? That’s the plan. I mean of course this will have to be adhered to as we need a stadium but let’s hope the schedule at ff is stuck to with regards to stadium before the flats. The stadium imo will take up to two years from now to reach completion

Not that it matters i guess once our beloved hall is bulldozed. But are their pictures of whats being built there?
Bit beige but at least they aren’t the same colour as those white/grey modern ‘masterpieces’

The council say there’s a limit in water usage per person per day which is... mad. Not political, don’t care who’s the council people it’s just a bit odd.

The rh plans look much much better than ff flats layout where it’s like living in a massive council estate in London. Not cool

Last edited:
In some respects not surprising given the saga we've all had to endure to get to this point, but most of the objections raised in this thread are either from a position of ignorance or simply a matter of personal taste (which I imagine has been somewhat clouded by the all-consuming hatred some espouse for Ron).

Firstly, this is absolutely nothing new. For anyone who has been paying attention (and thanks to a few dedicated posters who go through each iteration of the planning docs, and contribute to some v interesting discussions in the Fossets section of the forum), the news of a reduced capacity and flats replacing the hotel was thoroughly discussed back in September of last year.

A capacity of over 16,000 will absolutely be more than sufficient for us in almost every conceivable future scenario. We can, with good new ownership, strong management, and some luck establish ourselves as a L1 club with championship ambitions with the stadium as proposed in these plans. Anything higher than that is a) pretty damn unlikely - honestly go and look at the names of the clubs at the top of L1 right now and tell me which ones you think we ought to be competing with; and b) attendance numbers start to diminish in importance given the obscene TV deals in the Prem and filtering down to the Championship. 16k+ is more than enough.

Secondly, complaints over the phasing are, as far as I can tell, driven by a blind pessimistic presumption that nothing good can ever come of this development (understandable given the tribulations over the years). But things have changed. The training ground has been developed. The club is for sale. The council want their thousands of new homes. This is going to happen now. And the idea that any new owner waiting in the wings to buy us because of our potential is going to be happy to plod along with us in a 3-sided stadium with its main stand and revenue generator missing in perpetuity seems a bit unlikely. Even after phase 1, the 3 stands will give us significantly more revenue streams, fewer overheads and a much more pleasant experience than the current state of Roots Hall.

And please, if you are still talking about us having no revenue streams because the hotel has been dropped, do yourself and everyone else a favour and find some of @C'mon you Shrimpers posts in the stadium section, because he has done the work for you. There are bars, cafes, food outlets, boxes, ballrooms, and space that can be tailored for whatever the new owners have in mind (office space etc.).

In terms of the design of the stadium itself - it looks pretty good to me, but appreciate that is down to personal taste. Safe standing to create a proper home end will be great, and I actually don't mind the flats built into the main stand. It gives a sense of scale to the ground that we could never achieve through seating alone as we'll never need a 40/50k stadium.

Finally, and probably most disappointingly, the frequent complaints in this thread about this being a housing development with a stadium built on, or us being stuck in a 'ghetto' (from posters with a dubious history of talking about ethnicity of our prospective new neighbours). Honestly, get a ****ing grip. We're currently sitting on a former rubbish dump down Vic Avenue, it's hardly the Ritz. Football stadiums should be in amongst housing, it's where up until 20 years ago, they've always been. Give me this over a stadium attached to a drab and dying retail park any day.

Having lived for a few years in the Olympic Village in Stratford, and actually looked at the Residential plans for this development unlike some of the critics, these modern developments really aren't this eyesore people are thinking of. They are generally quite well designed, have cafes/shops on the ground level and multiple green spaces. I genuinely think in 5/10 years time this will be a desirable part of Southend to be in, and with the right ownership we will be able to take advantage of thousands of new prospective fans right on our doorstep.

I know the last few years have been incredibly depressing for all of us, but really please do try to tone down the 'everything is **** and I hate it' stuff around the stadium. Provided the sale of the club goes well, we've got plans in place for a really bright future, and when we eventually get there I do think the vast majority will be delighted with it.
Top post! Thank you for countering all the negativity on here.

Looking at the designs, the only thing that shows the main stand as being the main stand, is the flats that shadow it.

Am I right in thinking that all sides of the stadium are now the same height?

Basically like the keep moat with flats.

It was a long time ago now, but I'll be honest, I can't recall the Contractor installing additional piles to accommodate an extension of each stand.
You have the space at the CCS, so that is the biggest hurdle, but make no mistake, expanding a structure is a big and expensive job - as you add rows above a certain height, the costs start multiplying (obviously, the further back you go, the higher you go, and the more weight of steel you are adding).

You would know Sherif I know that was the original plan but perhaps it was scrapped due to delays and mounting costs on a fixed budget. I don’t suppose we will ever need it, and as you say the cost would be massive but hey we live in hope!

Bit beige but at least they aren’t the same colour as those white/grey modern ‘masterpieces’

The council say there’s a limit in water usage per person per day which is... mad. Not political, don’t care who’s the council people it’s just a bit odd.

The rh plans look much much better than ff flats layout where it’s like living in a massive council estate in London. Not cool
How utterly bizarre about the water.

How utterly bizarre about the water.
Since the 2010 Building Regulations were implemented all new dwellings have had to comply with part G2 Water Efficiency, theoretically limiting the use of water per person per day. It is nothing new and it appears they have imposed by condition the lower target use in this instance, which is an option the regulations allow planning authorities to put in place. To meet the requirements plumbing installations have limited flow rates for taps and showers, dual flush W.C.s, limited capacity for baths and grey water systems for watering gardens etc. As I said, it has been a requirement for new dwellings for over a decade now so anyone living in a recently built property will be living with these restrictions already. Quite honestly, very few people notice any difference in their day to day life it just controls extravagant use of water.

Since the 2010 Building Regulations were implemented all new dwellings have had to comply with part G2 Water Efficiency, theoretically limiting the use of water per person per day. It is nothing new and it appears they have imposed by condition the lower target use in this instance, which is an option the regulations allow planning authorities to put in place. To meet the requirements plumbing installations have limited flow rates for taps and showers, dual flush W.C.s, limited capacity for baths and grey water systems for watering gardens etc. As I said, it has been a requirement for new dwellings for over a decade now so anyone living in a recently built property will be living with these restrictions already. Quite honestly, very few people notice any difference in their day to day life it just controls extravagant use of water.
Well there you go :).

From what I can see. We now have a keep moat stadium but with a load of flats at one end. The main stand looks the same height as the other sides.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326_153126_com.microsoft.emmx_edit_378163105941254.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_153126_com.microsoft.emmx_edit_378163105941254.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 73
The latest designs just don't excite me. It's a three sided stadium on a housing estate missing the main stand. We laugh at how bad Oxford is without a stand behind a goal but we're talking about the main stand here. It's going to be ****.

Is there a contractual obligation on how long before the main stand is built?

Feels like with every change Ron makes he's changing the balance of who benefits more between the club or his back pocket with his back pocket being favoured every time.

I think rigsby had the right idea. It should have been built down by the Kursaal on the Seaway site (if that's what it's called). As it is that looks like it's going to remain a wasteland for the rest of my life.
That's an interesting question. What if the new owners decide they don't want to play at fossets? They then wish to build their own stadium as you say down by the kursaal. Certainly would throw a spanner in things. Although the rate at which fossets is being built the latter might be built quicker!

If Ron truly intends to sell and definitely doesn't want to be SUFC's landlord and if he wants the sale to go through in time for next season, why not wait 3 months and see what size stadium the new owners want and build it to their specifications before selling on. That is, of course, if he was being genuine last Friday. The stench of deceit gets stronger every day.
TBF the main stand is scheduled to start 2 years after the other 3- I think that plenty of time for a money bags new owner to build something different. The council have already approved a much larger 4th stand with hotel once so should have no issue with allowing that again..

The latest designs just don't excite me. It's a three sided stadium on a housing estate missing the main stand. We laugh at how bad Oxford is without a stand behind a goal but we're talking about the main stand here. It's going to be ****.

Is there a contractual obligation on how long before the main stand is built?

Feels like with every change Ron makes he's changing the balance of who benefits more between the club or his back pocket with his back pocket being favoured every time.
Apparently they are looking to move away from their 3 sided ground.

Back