• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New ground update?

Hopefully the new owners will scrap the flats plans on main stand, then build conference room/hotel/bars etc to use the stadium 24/7.

Lol. Just the way to get fans onside. Another round of waiting for planning permission.

That's the first time I've seen the artists/computer impression of the revised plans and I have to say I'm not impressed........ if I was going to be the new football club owner I would tear up those plans and start again, even makes Colchester's stadium look good at the moment. Your not doing our club any favours Ronald but I suppose it feeds your greed the sooner you go the better for all concerned........
It looks like an 80s housing estate with a football pitch built under it.

Apologies if this has been discussed a few times but apart from a couple of conference rooms and cafe - how will SUFC make money away from the football match days at the new ground?

Apologies if this has been discussed a few times but apart from a couple of conference rooms and cafe - how will SUFC make money away from the football match days at the new ground?
  1. Weddings & other large events, school proms?;
  2. the housing built into the 4th side will almost certainly be leasehold meaning upfront revenue for unit sales and then ground rent collected
  3. reduction in running costs: modern materials and fixtures/fittings means less money spent on upkeep etc;
  4. increased matchday revenue as fewer local amenities (fans will drink at the ground, not the blue boar etc.)
  5. maybe gigs like Col U?

Its now turned into a new build housing complex with a football ground attached to it as an almost after thought.
Been saying this ever since the current design was first shown. I absolutely hate the flats being part of the stadium, looks awful. I just hope any new owners can take over the design and ditch the flats and give us an actual stadium and not a sink estate.

So if the new proposal is only 10,000 seats in phase one - it means the conditions for developing Roots Hall won't be met. Either those conditions will need to be changed or the council could insist that the new planning application for 10,000 seats in phase 1 is not an adequate replacement for Roots Hall

1679607697306.png

Bromley were advertising wakes and are nowhere near any cemetery or crematorium. Perfect venue for us. The income from the new ground will rely on a good commercial department and from what I hear we have a good group of young and keen staff.

Doesn’t appear a huge amount of scope for expansion if we ever needed it (unlikely)

With all the flats the main stand will be ruled out for expansion? The West stand is near the Crematorium, so unlikely. The East stand borders the protected site and then you have the South stand with the plaza and tower blocks.

@Sherif H whats your thoughts on potential for increasing capacity with these plans?
Looks pretty limited to me.
The obvious shout would be to add rows to the rear of the two ends, but that in turn necessitates an increase in height of the roof which then lkkely causes rights of light issues with the flats - not knowing who will ultimately own the flats makes it very difficult to make a reasoned judgement.

The main stand could be developed in a modular fashion - something I have previously proposed to the Club. That way you focus the budget on the areas that matter - the flexible space which gives you the banqueting, hospitality and other non-matchday revenue generation, but retain the flexibility to remove or remodel the seats in front, allowing the conversion of this side for events such as concerts etc.

It is now basically a housing estate with a stadium bolted on and very little space for genuine future proofing.

Looks pretty limited to me.
The obvious shout would be to add rows to the rear of the two ends, but that in turn necessitates an increase in height of the roof which then lkkely causes rights of light issues with the flats - not knowing who will ultimately own the flats makes it very difficult to make a reasoned judgement.

The main stand could be developed in a modular fashion - something I have previously proposed to the Club. That way you focus the budget on the areas that matter - the flexible space which gives you the banqueting, hospitality and other non-matchday revenue generation, but retain the flexibility to remove or remodel the seats in front, allowing the conversion of this side for events such as concerts etc.

It is now basically a housing estate with a stadium bolted on and very little space for genuine future proofing.
Thanks mate. Exactly what I was afraid of.

Broadly agree but, playing devil's advocate, possibly club be forgiven if the new plans for the 4th side are demonstrably better for the club?

Oh I agree would be amazing.

However, this would incur further costs.

Let's say the stars align and we do get a new owner by start of next season.

Their costs are then:

1. Purchase price of club
  2. General running costs (wages etc)
  3. The cost of a 4th stand
  4. The cost of upkeep/repairs/maintenance at roots hall
Suddenly we are looking for someone with very deep pockets.

Not impossible no, but I reckon there are far more attractive clubs with infrastructure already in place available to purchase for around the associated costs in doing up the old place, while funding a quarter of the new one.

I think whilst it looks **** with the flats, we don't need a 18,000-20,000 seater stadium.

If we were to ever break into the Championship/PL, attendance wouldn't matter because most of the money comes from broadcasting. Especially with the EFL wanting to break the 3pm curfew with their next broadcasting deal.

If we are in L1/L2/NL, then we would never need the capacity because we won't attract that many fans.

I think whilst it looks **** with the flats, we don't need a 18,000-20,000 seater stadium.

If we were to ever break into the Championship/PL, attendance wouldn't matter because most of the money comes from broadcasting. Especially with the EFL wanting to break the 3pm curfew with their next broadcasting deal.

If we are in L1/L2/NL, then we would never need the capacity because we won't attract that many fans.
It’s ridiculous. It’s all just ridiculous. How hard is it to just build a stadium? It’s been how many years? And the state of rh.

It’s ridiculous. It’s all just ridiculous. How hard is it to just build a stadium? It’s been how many years? And the state of rh.
If it was just about getting out of Roots Hall at the lowest cost, I can tell you we have built modular stadiums for Clubs in 90 days - see Edinburgh Rugby as a great example.
Generally speaking though, with a traditional stadium it is about a 5 year process from inception to completion, but there are unfortunate cases like ours where financial conditions have led to multiple iterations of the proposals, and at that point it is a self-perpetuating cycle of disappointment.

In the end what this stadium ends up looking like, particularly in respect to the 4th side, will now depend on the new owner. I’m sure we will hold them accountable. Deep pockets required to meet our expectations..

Back