• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 02 2004,00:45)]I have no doubt we could attract much larger crowds than we currently house at RH but unless we really are in Div 1/2 then might be worth sticking to a 16,000 with additional expansion to say 25,000 if needed.
IIRC from when we first started planning a new stadium, the idea was that the stadium would be 16,000 but would have the abilty to expand to 25,000, which in my idea, would be the best option. Jeeze, I'm agreeing with FM!
biggrin.gif

You only have to look at the likes of wigan and reading, who a few years back were averaging crowds similar to ours at springfield park and elm park respectively, but now look at them, brand spanking new stadiums have transformed 4-5000 gates into 10000+ and helped make them into very good sides indeed. Ive know doubt if we was to get into even the second division we could average 7000+ easy with a new ground, if not more,and a few times a season i think we could nudge 15000 with local games. A new ground attracts new fans FACT, it shows the club are going places and people want to be a part of it. To play in a new stadium adds a bit of pride to the area and people who wouldnt normally come to watch us suddenly think, hey southend are on the up. Its great i just hope we arent let down AGAIN!!. In my opinion we should stick with the 16,000 capacity plans aswell, 20000 is just too big for us at the moment, if we was to get into the first then yeah add the extra 4000 seats. We dont want a stadium like darlo who get 5000 in a 25000 stadium its like a morgue and wouldnt benefit us what so ever. Plus i hope its built with acoustics in mind, the stands need to be close to the pitch, joint all the way round and maybe a domed roof would help in making for a terrific atmosphere, we dont want a lego type ground like northampton for example, the atmosphere there is awful because of the way its built. So RON i urge you to consider this when drawing up the plans, we want a cauldron not a library!!...

biggrin.gif

What a way to kick off the club's centenary year... by playing at Roots Fossetts Hall Farm Stadium.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 03 2004,13:03)]What a way to kick off the club's centenary year... by playing at Roots Fossetts Hall Farm Stadium.
Which won't happen.

Surely we now have to wait for the planning application process for the football stadium. This approval was only for the B&Q application, wasn't it? (Although I know that the application is intrinsically linked to the stadium). Surely now there must be a period of planning application, tender and then procurement for the stadium itself, all of which, if memory serves me right, Ron Martin told me personally would take around 18 months to complete. And that's before a single foundation stone is laid. Another 18-24 months to build and, even if we started now, would not see SUFC gracing it until the 2007/08 season ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 06 2004,23:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 03 2004,13:03)]What a way to kick off the club's centenary year... by playing at Roots Fossetts Hall Farm Stadium.
Which won't happen.

Surely we now have to wait for the planning application process for the football stadium. This approval was only for the B&Q application, wasn't it? (Although I know that the application is intrinsically linked to the stadium). Surely now there must be a period of planning application, tender and then procurement for the stadium itself, all of which, if memory serves me right, Ron Martin told me personally would take around 18 months to complete. And that's before a single foundation stone is laid. Another 18-24 months to build and, even if we started now, would not see SUFC gracing it until the 2007/08 season ...

WS
I was only going by what Ron Martin said on the official sh*te... but made my statement with tongue firmly in cheek as I cannot really see it happening.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ May 03 2004,13:03)]You only have to look at the likes of wigan and reading, who a few years back were averaging crowds similar to ours at springfield park and elm park respectively, but now look at them, brand spanking new stadiums have transformed 4-5000 gates into 10000+ and helped make them into very good sides indeed.
Nothing to do with two VERY rich men pouring money into their clubs then ?  Both clubs' crowds (esp Wigan) are lowish relative to their league positions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ April 30 2004,20:48)]Having said all that I think that it is vital not to harrass, hound or gloat over the Karers. We have got what we want (we hope!) and they haven't and it is now time to start proving that we ARE NOT all the nasty things that they claimed we were. It would be worth at least trying to build bridges alongside the stadium ...
biggrin.gif
Bridges ? Only if they improve access from the Spread Eagle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ May 07 2004,15:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ May 03 2004,13:03)]You only have to look at the likes of wigan and reading, who a few years back were averaging crowds similar to ours at springfield park and elm park respectively, but now look at them, brand spanking new stadiums have transformed 4-5000 gates into 10000+ and helped make them into very good sides indeed.
Nothing to do with two VERY rich men pouring money into their clubs then ?  Both clubs crowds (esp Wigan) are lowish relative to their league positions.
Spot on, Mick.

If anyone thinks that Reading's growth in fan-base is due to anything other than the enormous wealth of Mr. John Madjeski, they're greatly mistaken...

I think a 15,000 all-seater would be fine... we might then normally have it 1/3 full, have it half-full when doing well, and fill it for big games or local derbies...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ May 07 2004,15:59)]Bridges ?  Only if they improve access from the Spread Eagle.
Can't they move it brick by brick? Else it will have to be a dedicated moving walkway like the one's you get at airports.

Back