• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
With all the good news surrounding the proposed new ground aren't we forgetting one thing? What about the Spread, I don't fancy drinking in a TGI's or something similar or buying some cans from Waitrose. Perhaps, like the Americans did with London Bridge years ago, the Spread could be moved stone by stone to a suitable spot near the new ground. Or maybe a mini bus could leave there at 10 to 3.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ May 06 2004,11:28)]Perhaps, like the Americans did with London Bridge years ago, the Spread could be moved stone by stone to a suitable spot near the new ground.
Perhaps, like the Americans, we could think we're paying for the Spread to be moved, then realise we've moved the Cliffs!
sad.gif

( I do believe they thought they were purchasing Tower Bridge at the time, or is that just an urban myth? Surely the Yanks aren't that dense. Are they?
rock.gif
)

I'm always been told that that was exactly what happened but to be honest, even they couldn't have been that stupid....?

As for the Spread, yeah, I've considered this. theres not too many drinking establishments round that way so they'll have to come up with something. Maybe a few good bars inside the ground is the way that they'll go?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ May 06 2004,11:42)]( I do believe they thought they were purchasing Tower Bridge at the time, or is that just an urban myth? Surely the Yanks aren't that dense. Are they?  
rock.gif
)
It is an urban myth, the old London Bridge was put up for sale in 1968 because it had to come down, and a certain Robert P. McCulloch, Sr bought it because he wanted something unique to build in Havusu City.
Around the bridge are old english village type houses and was also scene for cr*p film jack the ripper in the USA or something, its Arizonas second biggest tourist attraction after the grand canyon.
Fancy eh? a bridge and a ditch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 06 2004,12:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ May 06 2004,11:42)]( I do believe they thought they were purchasing Tower Bridge at the time, or is that just an urban myth? Surely the Yanks aren't that dense. Are they?
rock.gif
)
It is an urban myth, the old London Bridge was put up for sale in 1968 because it had to come down, and a certain Robert P. McCulloch, Sr bought it because he wanted something unique to build in Havusu City.
Around the bridge are old english village type houses and was also scene for cr*p film jack the ripper in the USA or something, its Arizonas second biggest tourist attraction after the grand canyon.
Fancy eh? a bridge and a ditch.
Should have built the bridge over the ditch. What does the bridge currently span? A river... or dry land?

if the Spread and Lion and the club have any sense they will provide transport from the pubs to the ground.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ May 06 2004,12:02)]if the Spread and Lion and the club have any sense they will provide transport from the pubs to the ground.
And perhaps Essex police will close the roads en route and provide motorcycle outriders?

Pulling down the Invisible Man looks like a big mistake now.

Drinking establishments (I wouldn't call them pubs) in new football stadia are normally naff and soulless.

Failing some sort of transport link with the Spread, the club should make sure there's a really decent pub at the new ground, to which away fans are also welcome. Maybe something for the Trust when the time comes.

If the club has any sense whatsoever they will make sure there is some sort of pub near to/inside the ground which is owned by them, and therefore any profits go straight back into the club.

I can't see transport between the Spread and the ground happening.....

On a sad note, I've just realised that moving away from the Hall will be disasterous for the Spread. i (obviously enough) don't drink there, but can you see the place surviving without the club next door?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ May 06 2004,12:02)]if the Spread and Lion and the club have any sense they will provide transport from the pubs to the ground.
If SUFC have any sense they will realise that there is nowhere around there to drink and will provide pubs/drinking places of their own, and make the money that The Spread etc are earning at the moment.

Perhaps some smart, local businessman/fan will design a new pub/s in the area and reap the rewards ...

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 06 2004,13:03)]Perhaps some smart, local businessman/fan will design a new pub/s in the area and reap the rewards ...

Kev
Maybe the (don't) Karers can open a pub
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 06 2004,13:03)]Perhaps some smart, local businessman/fan will design a new pub/s in the area and reap the rewards ...

Kev
Like the "Rusty Bucket" pub on the roundabout just past Waitrose. Oh no sorry , that has turned into a MaccyD's.

Back