• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Grayson

Life President⭐
It's that time again where I'm looking for a new laptop, and I'm looking to draw from the combined wisdom of the Zone!

Now I've finished university and starting to earn money, I'm looking at getting a high quality machine that will last me 3-4 years. I want a strong machine with decent battery life. The most demanding things I use it for are Football Manager and watching TV/sport online.

In terms of brand, I've narrowed it down to Apple, Lenovo, Sony and Samsung. What experiences do people have of the products of these four companies?

I'm currently favouring the Lenovo ThinkPad T430 (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=4D530359BAAAC7402F497B45DC6E93B6) which has a sale on ending today, so ideally I'd make a decision this evening on this one.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

I've got a Samsung and very happy with it. Do you need it to be portable?

I also have a Samsung which came free with my mobile contract - the RV511. It's perfect for FM, and is big enough for documents, websites etc.

I don't need it to be portable, but I don't want one too big or heavy, so would prefer one that I could carry to work easily.

I also forgot to mention a budget - I can stretch up to £1000, but preferably around the £800 mark. Happy to spend less if there's a great deal too, of course!

I'll check out Samsung in more detail.

Best to stretch to an i7, that will be lightening fast. The RF711 looks a good spec. Try a few out in shops because sometimes the keyboards and track-pads can be weird, especially if you get something small. I've got a SF310 from work which is great, but the trackpad is a bit annoying.

I've gone for a Samsung Series 5 550P and it's a lovely bit of kit. Cost £700. It seems good value for money and is lightning quick. Happy with the Samsung recommendation!

Back