• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News New Leeds United Bid for Barney courtesy of the Yorkshire Evening Post

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
It would seem our League 1 rivals have made a definite bid for Lee Barnard...

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/leedsunited/Leeds-United-Whites-launch-bid.5999626.jp

Leeds United have launched a £175,000 bid for Southend United striker Lee Barnard.

But Elland Road manager Simon Grayson is ready to abandon his interest in winger Max Gradel if negotiations with Leicester City fail to reach a rapid conclusion.

Leeds followed up an initial enquiry about Barnard with a concrete offer yesterday, joining Southampton and one other unnamed club in the fight for the 25-year-old's signature.

Southend were forced to deny newspaper reports that Leeds had already secured Barnard on an undisclosed fee, but United are firmly in the running to sign a forward who scored 17 goals during the first half of the League One campaign.

Southend, meanwhile, are also biding their time as several clubs vie to tempt Barnard away from Roots Hall before the transfer window closes.

United's bid of £175,000 exceeds the £150,000 offered by Southampton earlier this week, but Southend revealed that a third club were also interested and rejected claims that the forward had already been sold to Leeds.

Sources in Essex indicate that Southend have turned down Leeds' offer of £175,000, although the club seemed resigned to losing their top scorer.

A statement issued by Southend read: "Following reports that Lee Barnard has transferred to Leeds United, Southend United can categorically deny that this rumour is true.

"Although there has been three interested parties during this transfer window, no offer has currently been accepted by the football club.

"At the moment, we fully expect Lee to be in the starting line-up for Saturday's game against Wycombe Wanderers."

Think this was on the echo website this morning and think we've declined it.

.......... for now

Yeah, it will be for a guy available on a free in 6 months time.

Shame. He's been very good for us and I fear we will miss him terribly.

But then, when Henry left it freed up all the other Gunners to play more freely and score more. Maybe that'll happen to us. Just... maybe... no?

The saddest part about it all is that poor old Barney might have to move to Leeds. No wage is worth that...

Although to be fair to you, Shrimpboy, "hoping" is not the same as "expecting".

I'm hoping that they'll stick a '0' on the bid by the time it's accepted, but I'm not expecting that!

So, I take it that we are no longer attempting to secure his signature ourselves, if we ever did make any serious attempts. Totally out of the question that he'd re-sign I suppose?

Although to be fair to you, Shrimpboy, "hoping" is not the same as "expecting".

I'm hoping that they'll stick a '0' on the bid by the time it's accepted, but I'm not expecting that!

So, I take it that we are no longer attempting to secure his signature ourselves, if we ever did make any serious attempts. Totally out of the question that he'd re-sign I suppose?

I reckon. Ron's statement suggests so, even if it does sound a bit like it was written by a teenage boy who's just found out that the class 'looker' isn't interested in his advances.

If we were top 6 and pushing for promotion with a new stadium half finished, maybe. But the guy has been at the top of the game before (albeit on the fringes) and is probably desperate to get back there again.

And, as much as it saddens me to say it, that probably isn't going to happen if he stays here. For sometime at least.

I reckon. Ron's statement suggests so, even if it does sound a bit like it was written by a teenage boy who's just found out that the class 'looker' isn't interested in his advances.

hehe very good.

£250,000??? for one the best goal scores in the league??? i think he would be wroth 1,000,000 but i be happy if they sell him for half a mil, got rember these clubs that comming in for him need him, they all need to go this year, there for the price will go up

Last edited:
What, for a player that's out of contract in the summer? I agree with Smiffy.
Agreed his price will be low due to short term remaining on contract, but think staying up is worth far in excess of 175000. His presence boosts our chances of staying up greatly.
I say keep him until his contract is up unless its a stupid offer.

From what everyone is saying. Barnard will be gone today, tomorrow or at least by the weekend. IF we get a bid of £200k I think we will take it. Sad to see Barnard go, but this is business.

Good luck Barney and thanks for all your hard work and goals!!!!

£250,000??? for one the best goal scores in the league??? i think he would be wroth 1,000,000 but i be happy if they sell him for half a mil, got rember these clubs that comming in for him need him, they all need to go this year, there for the price will go up

:thumbdown: Wrong!

Someone posted keep him unless stupid offer comes in. I not sure but I think it would cost us a bit more than 200k if we went down. However, it seems the club are ready to sell but IMO 175k is an insult even if he is out of contract end of season.
I agree with the keep him here brigade after all that's what leeds are doing with Beckford and unless they have done a deal with Everton, they won't be cashing in on him will they?
Or maybe I'm just talking out of my backside which is probably the most likely.

:thumbdown: Wrong!

yeah unfortunatly you're right. I'm hoping Saints get him on a trade deal with this Matt Paterson fella with a bit of cash thrown in.

Although I don't look forward to playing a Southampton with a front two of Barney and Lambert.

yeah unfortunatly you're right. I'm hoping Saints get him on a trade deal with this Matt Paterson fella with a bit of cash thrown in.

Although I don't look forward to playing a Southampton with a front two of Barney and Lambert.

I heard about the Patterson rumour this morning, and i must admit it is more tempting to me than selling him to Leeds (to me at least if not Tilly!). I would imagine Lee would be more tempted by playing regular football at somewhere like Southampton than being on the bench at Leeds but you never know what kind of money he is going to be offered.

IF/when barney goes I'd like it to be in a part swap deal for Patterson so that we could have a front two of Patterson (Target Man) and Spencer (Fox in the box).

UTB

Back