• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New manager

So kewell gone from Barnet... searle gone from aldershot. Next up...?

Some think too early, some can't come soon enough. Maybe the chairman needs to go first.

However If Brown was to leave or be removed who would be a good replacement?

Back to Tilly?

Old players in non league management ? Mark Bentley? Stimson?

Old players currently coaching? Barret? Maher I saw mentioned

Others ? I'm not sure back to MM is a good idea

What makes sense

This.

Was my choice ahead of MM. Knows the league, did a good job with a club in a similar situation to ourselves off the pitch. You’d like to think we could tempt him away from a U21 job.
One word, Compensation. Compensation to get rid of Brown 4/5 months into a 2 year contract and then compensation to Sheffield United for Currie.

We haven't got a pot to **** in, and even if we did I can't see Ron giving it away again. For what we must have spent more on compensation for managers and backroom staff we could have a decent couple of players I would imagine

John Still. An old head on old shoulders, but he knows the game at this level and would be a great choice.
Still’s not the answer, at least not now. We need a long term answer - and to then stick with them. That new Aldershot manager is what we needed but that ship has sailed.

I’d be open to a caretaker manager whilst we get the appointment right, but Ron’s appointed Bond and Brown based on 6 match trials in which they underwhelmed so I’m not sure I trust him. It should really be Ricky Duncan’s choice rather than Ron anyway, Ron has ****ed up what seems like the last dozen managerial decisions. We need someone who is aligned with the club’s strategy.

Does anyone seriously think Darren Currie will leave the bigger, Championship SUFC for a non league SUFC?
Yes. I’d be amazed if a youth team coach turned down the opportunity to manage. Think he’s been working with Coughlan there who’ll have good things to say about us as well.

Currie seems the best choice at the moment. As for compensation, he may have some sort of clause in his contract that allows him to leave for a senior management job should it arise.

Brown is not my cup of tea. I think he has made errors in selection, tactics and media mouthing but we are so few games into the season and I can't advocate managerial change so early. Any new manager deserves until Christmas. Things can change so quickly and a couple of good results can easily change the fans views.

Still’s not the answer, at least not now. We need a long term answer - and to then stick with them. That new Aldershot manager is what we needed but that ship has sailed.

I’d be open to a caretaker manager whilst we get the appointment right, but Ron’s appointed Bond and Brown based on 6 match trials in which they underwhelmed so I’m not sure I trust him. It should really be Ricky Duncan’s choice rather than Ron anyway, Ron has ****ed up what seems like the last dozen managerial decisions. We need someone who is aligned with the club’s strategy.
From what I hear Ricky Duncan is one of the problems not the solution

Tongue firmly in cheek with that second sentence I think.
Not at all. Coughlan was here 8 years(?) during which time we were promoted and reached Wembley in the cup and maybe only once or twice finished in the bottom half of a table. It was a time of relative stability (only two managers) and whilst not without challenges the embargoes etc tended to be shortlived. I’d much rather Coughlan give a reference than someone who has lived through the club’s last 3-5 years when the wheels came off completely. Coughlan’s report should be that there are challenges but this are surmountable and the club’s potential is vast.

Back