• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New manager

Not really convinced Ron will put the trigger but if he does, I think the most likely candidate to take over will be Fagan stepping up. Plus it’s cheap and easy for Ron and he’s already interviewed him previously.
The cheapest option but I think at this point - if PB does go - Fagan may be another poor choice especially if RD is part of the set up. I was in favour of giving CF a whirl at the start of last season but not now.

Let’s try someone who has no current or past connection to the club and isn’t a mate of Ron/been recommended by a mate of Ron. Someone who isn’t a big name or arrogant. They also need to be allowed to get on and manage without restrictions. There’s a whole culture needs changing at the club, if that doesn’t change you can appoint Pep, it’ll make no difference.

Last edited:
A knowledge of the Essex non league scene and the best players within that pool. He said himself during the zoom call with Stan that he could identify numerous more talented players within Essex non league who would want to play for the club for half of the money that some of the current incumbents are on.
I'm not saying he would be the right choice....just answering your question.
One thing you can say about Tilly is the players he got from higher up were crap but his lower league picks were outstanding. Bentley, Eastwood, Bailey, Mitchell Cole, Gary Hooper to name some. However I would advocate him at the club in some capacity, scouting for example, his time as a manager is done

One thing you can say about Tilly is the players he got from higher up were crap but his lower league picks were outstanding. Bentley, Eastwood, Bailey, Mitchell Cole, Gary Hooper to name some. However I would advocate him at the club in some capacity, scouting for example, his time as a manager is done
Tilson hardly signed any bad players from anywhere. Grant came from Chelsea, Barnard from Spurs, Stanislas from West Ham, was hardly all non league picks

I would love to see Tilly come back. I’m sure the usual ninnies will tell us why Molesley would be a better bet than one of the two men who got us into the Championship though.
Brush was the brains imo and It all went to $h1te when he left, just the same as it went to $h1te when Dave Penney left.

And that's without mentioning Dervite and Federici who were outstanding, along with Hal Robson-Kanu who was also fantastic for us while he was here.
Back in the days where our loan signings were actually good!

I think Tilson would be part of our setup, and barrett and maher if RM wasnt in charge.

Yes. I’d be amazed if a youth team coach turned down the opportunity to manage. Think he’s been working with Coughlan there who’ll have good things to say about us as well.
Err... ? After the way we put Coughlin out the door when Brown was sacked I wouldn’t bet on it ?

The cheapest option but I think at this point - if PB does go - Fagan may be another poor choice especially if RD is part of the set up. I was in favour of giving CF a whirl at the start of last season but not now.

Let’s try someone who has no current or past connection to the club and isn’t a mate of Ron/been recommended by a mate of Ron. Someone who isn’t a big name or arrogant. They also need to be allowed to get on and manage without restrictions. There’s a whole culture needs changing at the club, if that doesn’t change you can appoint Pep, it’ll make no difference.
I think that only leaves Mary Poppins

Fair comments for and against Brown staying or going here. But can we have a moment of reflection for a second?

Totally get that the manager takes responsibility for results. Also understand the chairman is responsible for running the club. Neither are currently going particularly well, so both are quite rightly taking a hammering. However, am I the only one who thinks the players seem to have been completely neglected in responsibility for the shocking start to the season?

In all honesty, I’m massively frustrated not JUST because of the results. It’s the fact that for me the players are more than capable of being a strong outfit in this division, but collectively are completely underperforming.

Now, of course PB is responsible for getting the best out of the players, and don’t get me wrong - he is completely underperforming too. But ultimately, the performances against Kings Lynn, Stockport and Wrexham are indicative of what those can do - even in the highly questionable 3-5-2.

Frankly, it’s easy to just all shout that it’s Ron’s fault (and yes, in some respects it is). But let’s be objective for a minute. The team are badly letting us as supporters down with mediocre performances. That isn’t wholly the managers fault, it isn’t wholly the chairman’s fault either. They need to take some ownership too frankly.

Let me give you an example. Egbri. Excellent work rate, excellent attitude, all round good character. Loved what I saw at Meet The Blues Day. Model pro. Wish only the best for him. Terrible end product though. Nowhere near good enough. Letting the team down. Get working on it!

Coulson. Great passion, desire, leadership. At times excellent distribution. Fitness levels? Borderline embarrassing. Genuinely I’m significantly fitter and I’m not paid to play sport. Get your running shoes out man! Get your spikes on. Letting the team down.

No personal slight to those two by the way - every one of them has a similar report

FWIW I think the personnel are the right ones, players and manager there. Probably in the minority there. But my goodness they need to pull their head out of their backsides ad change this entitlement attitude.

We are Southend United and we are a National League club. It’s no longer about the good ol days with Eastwood battering in goals for fun and terrorising defences. That’s all gone and in the past.

We as fans for the most part have acknowledged this. I fear the management and players have not. But the reality is, we play Solihull in two weeks and we are not a ‘scalp’ nor a ‘cup final’ for anyone. We are just another National League team and we are going to have to go toe to toe at 100% to compete. The sooner the players and staff realise that, the sooner we will start getting results.

The ability is there, but the mindset is not. This mini-break is where that mindset needs to change.

Tilson hardly signed any bad players from anywhere. Grant came from Chelsea, Barnard from Spurs, Stanislas from West Ham, was hardly all non league picks
To counter that I refer you to the following though...Matt Harrold, Billy Paynter, James Walker and Richie Foran

So kewell gone from Barnet... searle gone from aldershot. Next up...?

Some think too early, some can't come soon enough. Maybe the chairman needs to go first.

However If Brown was to leave or be removed who would be a good replacement?

Back to Tilly?

Old players in non league management ? Mark Bentley? Stimson?

Old players currently coaching? Barret? Maher I saw mentioned

Others ? I'm not sure back to MM is a good idea

What makes sense
As long as Martin owns the club this would be nothing more than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

To counter that I refer you to the following though...Matt Harrold, Billy Paynter, James Walker and Richie Foran
Touche.

The stepup to the championship was too soon and we didnt have the budget or experience.

My endearing memory of it was during the end we made a damn good fist of it and just might have stayed up.

And compared to the last 4 years that team that went down never put in the shoddy half assed performances we have endured, they were simply just punching way above their weight.

I still remember enjoying that season to some extent, even though we got spanked a lot. Certainly havent enjoyed the last few years. We had an honest go, with a likeable squad and a southend legend at the helm.

Last edited:
Brown will not be sacked ,RM cannot afford to sack him. RM cant afford toilet paper for the dunnies let alone a big fat payout check to PB. Then have to pay another manager.

Back