• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New manager

That might just apply for football league clubs not non league
It would seem that a number of supporters have mentioned Currie, however, his main claim to fame has been as assistant at both Dagenham and then Barnet. He followed John Still from Dagenham and was his assistant there until Still decided that because of health and poor results he would retire. Currie stepped up and frankly was popular being an ex Bees player, but in trough was not much better from a results point. I have mentioned this before, if I was looking for a manager at this level, I would be inviting Neil Smith along for an interview.

To counter that I refer you to the following though...Matt Harrold, Billy Paynter, James Walker and Richie Foran

All managers make bad signings - even Alex Ferguson signed a few flops. Harrold and Paynter weren't good enough for the Championship at the time and got a lot of stick from the fans, but they both went on to have decent careers in the lower leagues. Foran I'll give you, Walker wasn't that bad though (remember his goal against Orient).

Anyway, please can we stop this obsession over Tilson. He hasn't managed professionally in 10 years. It's too early in the season to be talking about sacking Brown, but if he did go in the coming months, two names I'd throw out there are Keith Hill and Martin Allen.

And like Mary Poppins he would be practically perfect in every way. Just show the team the 5-0 QPR match in full. I’d have that down as Kev’s finest 90 minutes for Southend.
I'd have that down as one of the best Southend performances i've seen. Kev ran it that day, the better the sides we played the better he was - he should have spent his career in the Championship really. Then Ron went and blocked a move to Wednesday which I know went down like a **** sandwich.

Both the above have had their noses put out of joint by the club in very recent times to the point where you couldnt blame them for no longer wanting a job like this. That said Id think they would be far better at setting the team up and maybe between them and the help of other senior players the man management part wouldnt be an issue.

Err... ? After the way we put Coughlin out the door when Brown was sacked I wouldn’t bet on it ?

Most people in football managment will have been sacked one time or another. It’s an occupational hazard. We weren’t even Coughlan’s last sacking.

That might just apply for football league clubs not non league

True but it would be a really ****ty thing to stand in someone’s way like that based on a technicality.

Fair comments for and against Brown staying or going here. But can we have a moment of reflection for a second?

Totally get that the manager takes responsibility for results. Also understand the chairman is responsible for running the club. Neither are currently going particularly well, so both are quite rightly taking a hammering. However, am I the only one who thinks the players seem to have been completely neglected in responsibility for the shocking start to the season?

In all honesty, I’m massively frustrated not JUST because of the results. It’s the fact that for me the players are more than capable of being a strong outfit in this division, but collectively are completely underperforming.

Now, of course PB is responsible for getting the best out of the players, and don’t get me wrong - he is completely underperforming too. But ultimately, the performances against Kings Lynn, Stockport and Wrexham are indicative of what those can do - even in the highly questionable 3-5-2.

Frankly, it’s easy to just all shout that it’s Ron’s fault (and yes, in some respects it is). But let’s be objective for a minute. The team are badly letting us as supporters down with mediocre performances. That isn’t wholly the managers fault, it isn’t wholly the chairman’s fault either. They need to take some ownership too frankly.

Let me give you an example. Egbri. Excellent work rate, excellent attitude, all round good character. Loved what I saw at Meet The Blues Day. Model pro. Wish only the best for him. Terrible end product though. Nowhere near good enough. Letting the team down. Get working on it!

Coulson. Great passion, desire, leadership. At times excellent distribution. Fitness levels? Borderline embarrassing. Genuinely I’m significantly fitter and I’m not paid to play sport. Get your running shoes out man! Get your spikes on. Letting the team down.

No personal slight to those two by the way - every one of them has a similar report

FWIW I think the personnel are the right ones, players and manager there. Probably in the minority there. But my goodness they need to pull their head out of their backsides ad change this entitlement attitude.

We are Southend United and we are a National League club. It’s no longer about the good ol days with Eastwood battering in goals for fun and terrorising defences. That’s all gone and in the past.

We as fans for the most part have acknowledged this. I fear the management and players have not. But the reality is, we play Solihull in two weeks and we are not a ‘scalp’ nor a ‘cup final’ for anyone. We are just another National League team and we are going to have to go toe to toe at 100% to compete. The sooner the players and staff realise that, the sooner we will start getting results.

The ability is there, but the mindset is not. This mini-break is where that mindset needs to change.
Your comments on Egbri are pretty much what I've said for two seasons.
Willing, enthusiastic; clearly a decent bloke - but sadly, not up to it.
However, that Torquay winner underlined a mental frailty. They were all over the place after Eggers easily lost the ball, and at a crucial moment.

One of three things then:
they haven't been organised to do the right things over 90 minutes, OR they can't do the right things, OR they're doing what they like!
If it's the latter, then PB has a serious problem.

How can he get rid of four or five players at the same time, and find replacements who want to come to the club, and are good enough?

Phil Brown's an experienced manager. There are no certainties.
With the benefit of hindsight, PB has been struggling on the results front for some time. Yes, to his credit, he secured promotion for Southend in 2015 during a five year spell after going up through penalties in the play-offs final. But he got fired relatively quickly at Swindon after leaving Southend. In many ways, RM's decision to reappoint him given this track record was bold but has not yet delivered the results everyone hoped for.

With the benefit of hindsight, PB has been struggling on the results front for some time. Yes, to his credit, he secured promotion for Southend in 2015 during a five year spell after going up through penalties in the play-offs final. But he got fired relatively quickly at Swindon after leaving Southend. In many ways, RM's decision to reappoint him given this track record was bold but has not yet delivered the results everyone hoped for.
Brown failed to make the play offs for Swindon but had his contract extended, but was sacked not long after with the club lying in 17th place. ?Pay off

At Hydrabad Brown was subsequentlty sacked following one win in 12 games. I think he must have thrown players under the rickshaws ? Pay off

I think PB's biggest mistake was failing to jettison those that went before.

It has to have an effect if you're losing all the time, and the fact we have eight still with us from last season's last game is a problem.
I seriously thought re-signing White and Demetriou, and keeping Ferguson, was asking for spent forces to become driving forces.

However, the midfield signings have been woeful.

Agogo, Atkinson and Dunne? Blimey! Dalby was also a gamble that's bearing little fruit thus far.
People talk about supply lines to the forwards, but if you're pumping the ball in the air, you've got to have two who can win aerial challenges, even now and again.

BUT, wouldn't we like to know how many were asked and said no?

I think his biggest mistake was to determine to stick with his old fashioned and ridiculously stubborn view that only old, mature professionals was the way to go in this league , and especially old mates well past it or injury prone

A few of us know nothings who spent a ridiculous amount of time studying every team in this league, pre season , the recent history and development of the National leagues, the rules, development, all the transfers, still followed, number of loanees, age of each player and size of each squad, , betting predictions and Managerial teams and a lot more besides, tried to point out just how competitive it was and just how many useful peak age players were growing into squads . Still never mind what do us silly old punters know even with a full 104 years of a family following Southend

Trying to put on my 'objective hat.' If there is any truth in what is being said on the 'possible new signings' thread, this thread could be considered redundant. If RM is going to back PB with new (should that be 'old?') additions to the squad, it rather indicates that he has no intention of sacking him any time soon.

I think PB's biggest mistake was failing to jettison those that went before.

It has to have an effect if you're losing all the time, and the fact we have eight still with us from last season's last game is a problem.
I seriously thought re-signing White and Demetriou, and keeping Ferguson, was asking for spent forces to become driving forces.

However, the midfield signings have been woeful.

Agogo, Atkinson and Dunne? Blimey! Dalby was also a gamble that's bearing little fruit thus far.
People talk about supply lines to the forwards, but if you're pumping the ball in the air, you've got to have two who can win aerial challenges, even now and again.

BUT, wouldn't we like to know how many were asked and said no?
All very very true. Should’ve cleared the decks when we had the chance, but who knows, maybe Brown was terrified that no one would want to come here so it was better to retain the likes of Demi and Ferguson.

Trying to put on my 'objective hat.' If there is any truth in what is being said on the 'possible new signings' thread, this thread could be considered redundant. If RM is going to back PB with new (should that be 'old?') additions to the squad, it rather indicates that he has no intention of sacking him any time soon.
Yes this thread is redundant you dont back a manager with new signings if you intend to sack him.

Back