• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New manager

Phil Brown's an experienced manager. There are no certainties.
Not at this level.
Eddie Howe hahahahahah ffs what planet are people on.
Indeed, especially given he will likely be considered for the England job post Southgate.
Your comments on Egbri are pretty much what I've said for two seasons.
Willing, enthusiastic; clearly a decent bloke - but sadly, not up to it.
However, that Torquay winner underlined a mental frailty. They were all over the place after Eggers easily lost the ball, and at a crucial moment.

One of three things then:
they haven't been organised to do the right things over 90 minutes, OR they can't do the right things, OR they're doing what they like!
If it's the latter, then PB has a serious problem.

How can he get rid of four or five players at the same time, and find replacements who want to come to the club, and are good enough?
Egbri is only 20. Not a dig at you personally but I remain disappointed that so many people are writing him off at such an early age.

I totally agree with your next two issues though. My biggest concern is that maybe they are actually carrying out PB's instructions but aren't fit enough to do it for 90+ minutes.

Not at this level.

Indeed, especially given he will likely be considered for the England job post Southgate.

Egbri is only 20. Not a dig at you personally but I remain disappointed that so many people are writing him off at such an early age.

I totally agree with your next two issues though. My biggest concern is that maybe they are actually carrying out PB's instructions but aren't fit enough to do it for 90+ minutes.
My comment you quoted was a flippant remark but still has a point. There are no guarantees. And brown managed 1 league above. Let's not pretend we're now playing in a league on another planet.

Even though it seems our owner is.

Watching the reappointment of PB and him being afforded the signings and pre season that other managers have not been afforded makes me feel that what we our seeing is PB’s lack of ability to keep on the cutting edge of football.

Almost every recruit that has been made has played for PB in the past and this for me over time his network has grown smaller and smaller by the day because as a leader you have to have players that believe in whatever it is you are trying to achieve. Those that have joined probably do have that believe but the pool of players gets smaller by the day and so we end up with a team that will end up in the bottom half.

To turn this around we need to recruit a manager that has a much larger network of players that believe the manager is the best leader.

We also need a club strategy that determines what we are trying to achieve over time.

I do feel that a recruitment policy should be based upon this strategy. ie looking at lower non league clubs for their POTY that would come to us on a relatively lower premium. And yes we may have to pay a 10/15k signing on fee but would also get some resale value.

So I guess what manager or ex professional in the football world has all of the above and would come to our club??

Not at this level.

You're quite right, of course: Egbri is only 20.
In the idea world, he would be setting the U23s alight, or something.
But that's not the case: he's playing senior football, and has been for more than a season.
It's probably ridiculous to say I'm not blaming him, but you get the idea.
As it stands, he's not much use to us, and the hope he'll make it at, say, 24, is well, wishing on a star!

Our two most successful managers, Webby and Tilly signed many players from Essex and the M25 area. As others have alluded to PB seems to rely on players who have played for him before or others past their best. Our current scouting network leaves a lot tone desired.
I once spoke to Webby about exactly this.
He reckoned that if you can't recruit a decent League 2 outfit from within the M25; 'you ain't trying!'

Our two most successful managers, Webby and Tilly signed many players from Essex and the M25 area. As others have alluded to PB seems to rely on players who have played for him before or others past their best. Our current scouting network leaves a lot tone desired.

To be fair, we do not know how players Anton Robinson may be recommending to PB that are not his "cup of tea".

To be fair, we do not know how players Anton Robinson may be recommending to PB that are not his "cup of tea".
I wonder how many of our signings over the last couple of years rather than being actively recruited have been as a result of agents with players no-one else wants approaching a club they know no-one else wants to sign for.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm being melodramatic because of where we are and how we are as a club but maybe sacking Luggy was the real turning point? Had he been allowed to carry on we would probably of got promoted the season after as Brown kept most of his squad...its not like we were all calling for his head - was just a weird Ron decision.

Bang on people saying without him his first season we were brown bread...heading for where we are now, but he bought in some absolute gems - amongst the duds. More importantly he got a mixture of experience and youth working well together. It's a real shame he is unwell as he would of been perfect to have replaced Sol.

I'm sure I saw a quote from PS after he was sacked saying he had intended to leave Southend at the end of the season in any case. It's easy to forget how much criticism he was getting from Southend fans before he was sacked but fans are so fickle and have very short memories. Also he didn't exactly set the world alight at Yeovil after he left us

I'm sure I saw a quote from PS after he was sacked saying he had intended to leave Southend at the end of the season in any case. It's easy to forget how much criticism he was getting from Southend fans before he was sacked but fans are so fickle and have very short memories. Also he didn't exactly set the world alight at Yeovil after he left us
Might be because he has Parkinson's disease

That is true, many were slating his brand of football. But i dont remember anyone calling to sack him.

Might be because he has Parkinson's disease
I'm not sure what part of my post your comment relates to. PS was diagnosed with Parkinson's before he joined us. If you're suggesting his lack of success at Yeovil was down to his condition worsening then that would have applied if he had stayed with us.

That is true, many were slating his brand of football. But i dont remember anyone calling to sack him.
Here's one thread calling for him to go. There are others as well. As I said in an earlier post we fans can have very short memories

Maybe I'm being melodramatic because of where we are and how we are as a club but maybe sacking Luggy was the real turning point? Had he been allowed to carry on we would probably of got promoted the season after as Brown kept most of his squad...its not like we were all calling for his head - was just a weird Ron decision.

Bang on people saying without him his first season we were brown bread...heading for where we are now, but he bought in some absolute gems - amongst the duds. More importantly he got a mixture of experience and youth working well together. It's a real shame he is unwell as he would of been perfect to have replaced Sol.
I think the Chairman was a bit overpowered by the fact that PB had managed a Premier club and has a fair amount of energy and likeability. But in professional football, like many walks of life, you are only as good as your recent record indicates and on that basis RM's re-appointment of PB was always a real risk.

Back