• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Mobile Phone

The Big Shrimp

Zone Photographer
Looks like I need to change my current contract & therefore end up with a new phone.

What I need to know from the people in SZ land is what phone should I look to get & what are the ones to avoid? I doubt for the £18/20 a month contract that I will probably go for, that I will get a Blackberry or an iPhone.

What do I want in my phone? Decent camera is a must & easy to use is another. I currently use the net on my phone to get footie scores, but I'm sure I would use the net more with the right phone. I also keep a fair amount of music/ringtones on my phone too.

Some of the phones I've briefly looked at include, various touch screen & sliding phones with qwerty keyboards. Confused.com!

Looks like I need to change my current contract & therefore end up with a new phone.

What I need to know from the people in SZ land is what phone should I look to get & what are the ones to avoid? I doubt for the £18/20 a month contract that I will probably go for, that I will get a Blackberry or an iPhone.

What do I want in my phone? Decent camera is a must & easy to use is another. I currently use the net on my phone to get footie scores, but I'm sure I would use the net more with the right phone. I also keep a fair amount of music/ringtones on my phone too.

Some of the phones I've briefly looked at include, various touch screen & sliding phones with qwerty keyboards. Confused.com!

Iphone all the way mate get one I can unlock it for you and jailbreak the software too so you can get custom made apps and download apps you otherwise have to pay for :)

It's incredibly risky jailbreaking the iPhone... It voided my mates warantee 2 months into an 18 month contract.

It's incredibly risky jailbreaking the iPhone... It voided my mates warantee 2 months into an 18 month contract.

I'm a good boy & don't do things like that! I ruin my old PS1 years ago doing that!!

Just seen a BlackBerry Curve 8900, which looks & sounds good, although unsure about the 3.2MP camera on it. Any good?

Iphones are stupid amounts more expensive on contract, so thats a no go!

You get what you pay for.

There are a few threads IPhone related, have a good look at them. Slipper sums it up nicely.

You get what you pay for.

There are a few threads IPhone related, have a good look at them. Slipper sums it up nicely.

Exactly! There are a few bargains to be had out there, its sifting through the BS, redemptions & hidden costs such as voicemail & internet charges for example! Its why I like my simples Virgin contract!

Still hunting through loads of phones & offers!!

Exactly! There are a few bargains to be had out there, its sifting through the BS, redemptions & hidden costs such as voicemail & internet charges for example! Its why I like my simples Virgin contract!

Still hunting through loads of phones & offers!!

I think the main thing is to be happy with the phone you get. I dont know many who are unhappy with the iphone. Reading a lot of these threads Trueblue seems to have tried every phone there ever was and he seems to prefer the IPhone.
However, its down to personal choice. New O2 shop in Southend has them all on display for you to try without them having to unpack a new one. Probably owrth a trip.

I think the main thing is to be happy with the phone you get. I dont know many who are unhappy with the iphone. Reading a lot of these threads Trueblue seems to have tried every phone there ever was and he seems to prefer the IPhone.
However, its down to personal choice. New O2 shop in Southend has them all on display for you to try without them having to unpack a new one. Probably owrth a trip.
Agreed to a point.

The iPhone is far better than any other phone as a toy, and I still use mine at home, connected to the wifi. Problem is if you are a heavy user of the actual phone, it runs out after 3-4 hours at best, so I tend to take my blackberry out with me which can last a whole day. Blackberry is also more convenient for knocking out emials / texts while out and about if needed.

Ideal world BigShrimp - get both - i pay about £60ish a month for the iphone and only about £20 for the blackberry.

the nokia e71 is a nice phone, my friend has it on 3 contract, £18 a mouth with unlimited texts and internet, he is always on youtube or downloading apps, its a great phone compared to blackberrys.

Might be worth a trip into town later. Having gone through the options, as I don't want to spend more than £18/20 a month.

I got a blackberry on a contract which is effectively £20 per month. Depends what features you want other than the basics

I have an LG POP for £10 a month. Maybe I'm a luddite but it's far in excess of what I want. The phone, not the cost.

Agreed to a point.

The iPhone is far better than any other phone as a toy, and I still use mine at home, connected to the wifi. Problem is if you are a heavy user of the actual phone, it runs out after 3-4 hours at best, so I tend to take my blackberry out with me which can last a whole day.

I usually put mine on charge on my desk at work during the day so its not usually a problem. However, one of my boys got one of these which seems to do the trick:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Extended-Clip-On-Battery-Apple-Iphone-4g,8g,16g-2250mAh_W0QQitemZ330341093985QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=3e08d1c91230a0e203e056a0ffebbdd7

My iPhone contract costs me £45 a month, I got the iPhone for free, have free web browsing with a "fair usage" policy (Unless it's throw the wifi), 1200 minutes and 500 texts... That's with Orange.

Back