• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New PC

pickledseal

cowboy
Looking at getting a new PC. Need to control and store all my media plus a bit of work every now and again... I have a decent enough laptop and my old PC is now 7 years old. It's doing okay, but struggles when I want to do a couple of things at once!
Was thinking of something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/388942-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-0425

Any advice? I have £300 saved up and didn't really want to spent much more than £100 on top of that.

Many thanks.

Seems a little expensive? I'd guess good quality thought? And good service?

It's got 2Gb of RAM in there, a decent enough harddrive and a reasonably new (2 year old) DVD writer. Case would do the job I'm sure...

Thanks for the advice guys.

If it's an older PC then th3 RAM probably isn't going to fit into a new motherboard. If you are going to run Win 7 or Win 8 64 bit then you will want 8gb RAM minimum.

If it's an older PC then th3 RAM probably isn't going to fit into a new motherboard. If you are going to run Win 7 or Win 8 64 bit then you will want 8gb RAM minimum.

He won't need 8Gb for Windows but RAM is so cheap at the moment, why not buy 8GB?

It's got 2Gb of RAM in there, a decent enough harddrive and a reasonably new (2 year old) DVD writer. Case would do the job I'm sure...

Best way of saving money would be to build it yourself, would you want to give it a try?

Prices are straight from Overclockers.co.uk, but if you search around you may be able to get it cheaper.

AMD A8-5600K Black Edition 3.60GHz (Socket FM2) £79.99
ASRock FM2A55M-DGS AMD A55 Chipset (Socket FM2) £47.99
OCZ CoreXtreme 500w '80 Plus' Power Supply £29.99
Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PV38G160C9K) £23.99

Sub Total : £151.63
Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
DPD Next Day Parcel
(This can be changed during checkout) Shipping : £10.00
VAT is being charged at 20.00% VAT : £32.33
Total : £193.96

He won't need 8Gb for Windows but RAM is so cheap at the moment, why not buy 8GB?

Best way of saving money would be to build it yourself, would you want to give it a try?

Prices are straight from Overclockers.co.uk, but if you search around you may be able to get it cheaper.

Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PV38G160C9K) £23.99

DPD Next Day Parcel

I build my own, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone who isnt at least fairly clued up.

Overclockers do some good pre built machines though.

DPD Next Day Parcel

If you are going to run X64 then you may as well have 8GB. Also depends what and how many apps you are going to be running.

Definitely get 64bit Windows, no reason to use 32bit anymore and as DWB says you can get 16gb ram for under £80 these days.

As a benchmark when Im using my PC I can easily get up to 5gb in use so well worthwhile.

Back