• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Looks suspiciously the same as the Respect campaign and various other initiatives that have never been implemented with rigour!

Believe it when I see it - if referees struggle to enforce holding and pulling at corners, are they really going to enforce this!!

Standards have improved over the years - remember when it used to take 2 or 3 minutes to get a wall back to near 10 yards for example ........... and another drive is to be very much welcomed. :smile:

It is about time that highly paid professionals in the shape of managers and players started to act like professionals. :thumbsup:

BBC "Not one player has been sent off in the Premier League for insulting or abusive language towards a match official in the last five seasons". Why ??

...and what rule change ? The Laws of the Game stated this beforehand !
Yes this is quite right. The "new" changes have been part of "the Laws of the Game" for many, many years. Unfortunately Referees at the highest level have consistently failed to enforce the Law. They have said that "I am unable to hear the foul language" or" It was only said in the heat of the moment" or "It is normal industrial language". In reality it really meant that if a Referee send off a player for this offence, the Official would receive a poor mark from the Manager of that team therefore endangering his position in the League Referees rating list

Yes this is quite right. The "new" changes have been part of "the Laws of the Game" for many, many years. Unfortunately Referees at the highest level have consistently failed to enforce the Law. They have said that "I am unable to hear the foul language" or" It was only said in the heat of the moment" or "It is normal industrial language". In reality it really meant that if a Referee send off a player for this offence, the Official would receive a poor mark from the Manager of that team therefore endangering his position in the League Referees rating list
but all the ref has to do is go into the changing room before the game and spell it out.. My sons under 18 team officials do it so why not prem...

I think you've just hit the nail on the head.

Actually, the Referee is in a no win situation.

Anyone remember when Steve Bennett sent off a Liverpool player (Mascherano, I think) for foul and abusive and was roundly abused by all asundry for spoiling the game and being the centre of attention. No one no one else followed him.

More to the point, refs at the highest level (and this is from the horse's mouth) are briefed NOT to send off players for foul and abusive on the basis that people pay good money to see world class players play, not be sent off for saying "****".

But yes, the Respect campaign has essentially failed. We still see assaults on park football, refs hounded out of the game with abuse that makes the Labour leadership debate look like gentle banter (I was once told by some scrot that he hoped my kids died of cancer!). And at the highest level we still see players and managers habitually taking the **** by diving, play acting and a refusal to accept personal or professional responsibility.

If the FA really wanted to do something sensible with its directives to refeees, it would be to deal with diving and for the FA themselves to act retrospectively when someone rolls on the floor like they've been shot or clutching their face when they've not been touched.

... If the FA really wanted to do something sensible with its directives to refeees, it would be to deal with diving and for the FA themselves to act retrospectively when someone rolls on the floor like they've been shot or clutching their face when they've not been touched.

You say retrospectively. I'm still waiting for Duguid to get punished. :)

Back