• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New post (for those interested!) on The Speedway Revolution Blog!

Sherif H

Omar's older brother
Evening all,

For any of SZ's resident Speedway fans, you may have previously visited my blog (The Speedway Revolution). After a 2 month absence, I have returned with a story relating to a document which I have recently had published (via my employers) relating to how Promoters and Local Authorities may be able to work together to save what is a slowly dying sport.

The same document forms the basis of an interview I had with Speedway Star magazine this week, so if anybody buys this publication, make sure you pick up a copy next Thursday!

Sherif

http://speedwayfuture.blogspot.com

Read it the other night mate - quite interesting, although knowing local authorities I can't see many being proactive in assisting new venues unless the potential promotors who take the idea to them are very persuasive and exude positive mental attitude.

Out of interest, the Leicester Velopark. Is this a velodrome, BMX circuit & road circuit next to the new Leicester Lions speedway track?

Read it the other night mate - quite interesting, although knowing local authorities I can't see many being proactive in assisting new venues unless the potential promotors who take the idea to them are very persuasive and exude positive mental attitude.

Out of interest, the Leicester Velopark. Is this a velodrome, BMX circuit & road circuit next to the new Leicester Lions speedway track?

The Beaumont Sports Complex (as it will be known) is an outdoor velopark, funded by British Cycling, a BMX track, speedway track (with spectator seating for 500) and a range of synthetic pitches.

The Beaumont Sports Complex (as it will be known) is an outdoor velopark, funded by British Cycling, a BMX track, speedway track (with spectator seating for 500) and a range of synthetic pitches.

Yeah but an "outdoor Velopark" is a pretty broad category for what is actually there. I can find old internet stories that Leicester will get a new velodrome as part of this and about the BMX track. Is there anything else due to go in? Is the track going to be wooden or concrete?

Sorry to hijack the thread ;)

That was the proposed intention...

Indeed...it is definitely a long-term ambition Scott...I may even try and contact Len Silver and get him down to open the new venue if it ever went ahead (although he'd be about 112 by then - but probably still managing Rye House!).
I'm not sure how you guys feel, but I genuinely believe that it makes a town that much more attractive to existing and future residents if you have a good sporting offer on a variety of fronts....for instance, come 5-10 years time, we could have football, National League 1 rugby union and speedway in our a stone's throw from the Borough - nothing like going to a Saturday afternoon game, having a couple of drinks then shooting off to the evening speedway fixture, followed by a curry/drinks....almost perfect day!

Rich - the Leicester velodrome....check out this link
http://www.leicester-speedway.co.uk/Lions_Newsletter_MAY09[1].pdf
It will be exposed to the elements, but suggests it will boast an 'all-weather' surface...not entirely sure what this will consist of...perhaps a soft rubber compound of some kind, or polymeric like a running track?

Cheers mate
Nice to see you've even thought about potential race nights for the reborn Rayleigh Rockets. I'd have thought Sat would not be a good night for Conference League though.

Cheers mate
Nice to see you've even thought about potential race nights for the reborn Rayleigh Rockets. I'd have thought Sat would not be a good night for Conference League though.

Yup...maybe a Friday night, but then you are in direct competition with Lakeside, which isn't wise given their league status.

I'd say Sat would be an excellent night for Prem or Elite

Totally ignorant about the sport but isnt it a case of first to the first bend wins?

Could they not make a track with right and left turns in it?

Have Sky ever got involved in a big way? Seems whatever sport they try and take forward always becomes more popular.

Totally ignorant about the sport but isnt it a case of first to the first bend wins?

Could they not make a track with right and left turns in it?

Have Sky ever got involved in a big way? Seems whatever sport they try and take forward always becomes more popular.

No, only if the track is prepared really badly.

That would take the whole point of the sport away, the knack is to be able to slide (or broadside) the bike into the bends - they have no brakes therefore cornering like this means you usually don't fall off.

Yes, but not sure for how much longer (other than the Grand Prix series, which is arguable killing league speedway, certainly for the top level clubs in the UK). The live Monday night matches have brought in much needed cash, but there are allegations that the BSPA (British Speedway Promoters Association) have squandered this cash and the opportunities it creates, although to be fair the fact they constantly chop and change the rules unnecessarily maybe is also a reason why the sport continues to struggle. Take Ipswich Speedway for example, in the 50s they would get 20,000+ crowds. Now they struggle to bring in 10% of that.

Gents...just to let you know (if interested)...my one man crusade to improve the state of British Speedway gets another positive boost on Thursday, when an interview with Speedway Star magazine, together with a summary of the aforementioned document is published. Speedway Star is available in all most WHSmiths and large supermarkets, and a synopsis will be on their website tomorrow pm... http://www.speedwaystar.net

For those interested, the aforementioned article on planning for new speedway facilites was published in Thursday's Speedway Star agazine (pages 38 & 39)...good write up! Available in WHSmith and Sainsbury locally!

Also, please come along and support the Blog's Facebook page (type in 'The Speeway Revolution Blog' into the search bar)....we now have over 200 members and I am trying to build a thriving Speedway community, which will hopefully assist the Blog itself, and generate enough interest to justify starting a podcast...the only one on the web!

Quicm update - I have now added a messageboard to the Blog. Would be great to see some of you support Essex' and the UK's best and most current Speedway Blog* (*not necessarily verified by any particular body!) - pop along and drop me a line!

For those interested, I have now posted the first in my new series of reports, entitled 'Around the World in 80 slides', focusing on the state of speedway outside the UK. Part 1 sees us begin the journey in Argentina!

Update - I am looking to gague reaction as to whether anybody would be interested in purchasing a range of TSR branded Speedway merchandise...vote on the blog poll this week!

Back