• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New quiz

Napster

No ⭐
1) name the year: "The rents and interest will come out of the property enhancements we receive as part of our relocation plans at Fossetts Farm, which will bring substantial money to this club. Del*ancey may not be committed to the long term future of United but Martin Dawn is and we will be here in another five years’ time.”
2) who said this about who? "We need cover in goal for Ian Bennett, who’s worth around £2 million. I know, I’ll look in the Dutch amateur leagues.” Fry/Griemink
3) name the player:
Airdrieonians 33 (1)
York City 28 (4)
Southend United 42 (2)
Carlisle United 28 (2)
Queen of the South 30 (1)
Berwick Rangers 104 (8)
Stenhousemuir 5 (0) Connelly
4) which former on loan player set a then-Premier League record as the division's youngest-ever goalscorer, when he scored against Everton aged 17 years and 166 days? Andy Turner
5) who was the only registered player not to get a single minute on the pitch in the 2002-3 season? Newman
6) which former player is a leading club scorer of all time (i wont name the club!) - with an incredible 292 goals in 450 appearances? mark Salter/Frome
7) which player was part of the 1958 world cup? Sammy McCrory
8) in what year was the first essex derby? 50/51
9) who said this and about who and in what circumstances? ""He clipped my leg, so I turned to say 'What are you doing?' and he fell over clutching his face like he'd been poleaxed by Mike Tyson." Maher/Duguid
10) Only one non-English player has transferred directly from Col U to Southend. name him

Last edited:
I know number 4 is Andy turner as it was quite well publicised at the time he played for us.
I'm going to guess 6 as being Salter as some part of my trivia brain recalls reading that he scored shed loads of goals after leaving us for someone Non League ?

No. 4 - would it be be Andy Turner?
No.7 - has to be Sammy McCrory?
Would the first part of No.2 be Barry Fry perchance?

I know number 4 is Andy turner as it was quite well publicised at the time he played for us.
I'm going to guess 6 as being Salter as some part of my trivia brain recalls reading that he scored shed loads of goals after leaving us for someone Non League ?

yes and yes - it was for Frome. we got him from Frome and he ended up back there.

No.5 - would that be someone like Rob Newman who was registered as a player as well as backroom staff?

The not so great Gordon Connolly for the player !

I think the first one was probably spoken by a wooden puppet with a rapidly expanding nose circa 2005/6.

In the wake of the JM debacle ? 1998 ?

About the time we were looking into the Anton Johnson connection ?

December 2000! the full text

An unaccustomed and unsettling sense of well-being seems to be settling over some of the League’s recently troubled clubs. At Southend United, the unlikely partnership of George Soros and David Webb is in place and prom*ising to take the Shrimpers out of debt and on to higher things. How much the renowned international financier knows about the Third Division may be questioned, but for the time being the property company Delancey Estates, which he controls, is shaping the destiny of the club that once discarded this month’s England manager.

Delancey, which is the major shareholder in Southend along with its associated company Martin Dawn, got the club out of a High Court winding-up order in the summer and has now made another £800,000 available (not interest-free, of course). However, the club is paying £400,000 a year in rent, making the completion of their relocation plan to a new site at Fossetts Farm a matter of some urgency.

As a property company with large interests in the kind of retail opportunities which will be included in the new development, Delancey should have no reason to delay in getting on with the “futuristic” 16,000 seater stadium com**plex once planning permission has been granted.

Opinion on Delancey is divided. Former chairman John Main, removed from the board in September, said: “Del*ancey were screwing us to the floor. They have failed for months to put money into the club because they wanted to push us in a corner. We were in such a mess we shouldn’t have been trading any more. There’s no way the club can afford to pay £400,000 a season rent on Roots Hall or the 20 per cent in*terest owed to Delancey on every penny they hand over. United can’t survive under these terms.”

On the other hand, new director Ron Mar*tin, chairman of Martin Dawn, assures fans: “The rents and interest will come out of the property enhancements we receive as part of our relocation plans at Fossetts Farm, which will bring substantial money to this club. Del*ancey may not be committed to the long term future of United but Martin Dawn is and we will be here in another five years’ time.” Watch this space.

Back