• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dear All,

I hope a number of you will be interested in this.

I recently completed the 92 current league grounds - some of you will have seen my 'Derek Spence' thread after the Blackpool game. Well, another one on the 'bucket list' was to write a book so, killing two birds with one stone and after six months of toil writing, a book on my journey through the 92 grounds (well actually the 125 to get there) is now published.

I have not written it as a series of match reports - I didn't take notes back in 1971 and anyway I'm not sure folk will be interested in who passed to who to score the oppositions winner away at The Goldstone Ground in the early 70's etc. Instead it is my take on a tale of what it was like to be there and my experiences along the way much of which I'm sure all of you as footie fans will recognise having experienced similar yourselves. I have also sought to entertain by writing in a dry humour fashion (well, that was the aim, you will be the judge as to whether I achieved that).

Having met Derek at Blackpool, another bonus is that he agreed to write a Foreword for me - he is such a top man even though he never remembered me chairing him off the pitch at Plainmoor in 1981.

Although Southend naturally feature heavily in the book I have also spent time in Plymouth and Bristol plus on my travels have visited a number of new grounds as a neutral. I am therefore hoping it will be of interest to the wider footie family too.

The book is available either direct from the publisher (Completely Novel) or from Amazon. Both provide the paperback version though the kindle version is only available from Amazon. At present the delivery time is much quicker from the publisher, but Amazon will speed up soon as it takes a little time in the initial stages for their system to gear up to a new book.

You can either go direct to the publisher site or Amazon and type in 'Roots To The 92' to get to the book, or you can go via a website my son has prepared for the book which includes a short picture montage as well as more details on the book and the direct publisher and Amazon links.

This is not a mass money making exercise - I suspect I will be lucky to recover costs from the tiny royalty percentage - but that was never the point of it all. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of writing it - I hope you will find it an entertaining read and would welcome feedback (good reviews especially would be welcome posts on the Amazon site please!).

Cheers

SS

PS Dear moderators: do please forgive my excitement in posting this without asking your permission first, I hope this post is ok with you.

Congrats again on the 92 (125).
Sounds good will purchase, good luck mate:thumbsup:

Brilliant, just ordered mine from Amazon, will be my holiday read, although it says 3-5 weeks delivery!

Brilliant, just ordered mine from Amazon, will be my holiday read, although it says 3-5 weeks delivery!

Thanks - hope it comes in time for your hols. Amazon are a bit slow to warm up to a new book (they were the same for a mate with his) but they will speed up especially if they get a few orders - I've had 530 visits to my website in the last 24 hours which am well pleased with. Completely Novel, the publisher, are quick - I only had to wait two days for them to post (I had to buy my own book!). As and when you do read it if you do have time to post a review on Amazon (especially if a good one) it would be much appreciated

Cheers

Thanks - hope it comes in time for your hols. Amazon are a bit slow to warm up to a new book (they were the same for a mate with his) but they will speed up especially if they get a few orders - I've had 530 visits to my website in the last 24 hours which am well pleased with. Completely Novel, the publisher, are quick - I only had to wait two days for them to post (I had to buy my own book!). As and when you do read it if you do have time to post a review on Amazon (especially if a good one) it would be much appreciated

Cheers

no probs mate defo will

Bought it!

Likewise, Amazon saying 7th-11th June, hope it's in time for my trip to the Euros. :smile:

Bought the Kindle version, so as soon I finished my latest read, I'm straight on it!

Met up with Andrew today and, naturally bought a copy of his book (signed, of course)

We caught up on a few old trips away in the 80's, as well.

Thoroughly decent fella and flicking through it quickly, it looks a great read.

Good to see a couple of Rochdale fans buying the book, when we were there.:thumbsup:

Copies available in the Shrimpers Club.

Last edited:
Met up with Andrew today and, naturally bought a copy of his book (signed, of course)

Thoroughly decent fella and flicking through it quickly, it looks a great read.

Good to see a couple of Rochdale fans buying the book, when we were there.:thumbsup:

You did well on the signing front then!!! :winking:

Thoroughly decent fella and flicking through it quickly, it looks an interesting read.

Cheers Andy, thanks for re-bumping this one up the thread list, I hadn't dared do that again (oops :smile:)

Now starting to creep above 500 sales which is wonderful and even tho I'll never make a fortune from it (still not done enough to have net profits sufficient to pay season ticket) it was never about that - have met many great folk thro it and that has been the best part by far.

Got a very decent review from a respected author (Calvin Wade) on it too which went on Amazon last week.

I'll keep the Trust stocked up on it should they run out - no postage costs via them!

I'll crawl back in my hole now

UTB

You did well on the signing front then!!! :winking:

Always get them signed, I say. You never know what they'll be worth, in future!

Btw, I think the fella sitting to your right in the Shrimpers Club, is the same guy who kindly called the club the night before the Luton match a couple of years back, to let them know he had a spare season ticket seat and they could re-sell it.

I was lucky enough to grab it, so sat alongside him.

If it's the same guy, he sits right behind the goal, a row from the back, in the South Upper.

Cheers Andy, thanks for re-bumping this one up the thread list, I hadn't dared do that again (oops :smile:)

Now starting to creep above 500 sales which is wonderful and even tho I'll never make a fortune from it (still not done enough to have net profits sufficient to pay season ticket) it was never about that - have met many great folk thro it and that has been the best part by far.

Got a very decent review from a respected author (Calvin Wade) on it too which went on Amazon last week.

I'll keep the Trust stocked up on it should they run out - no postage costs via them!

I'll crawl back in my hole now

UTB

Just flicked through some of the matches, which I was also at, including the Arsenal v Villa game in 1981.

my son got me the book from amazon !! here in Germany,which i started to read while in hospital.
Enjoyed the book,made an ill shrimper happy...just seeing Billy Best name in print again helped.
Quite a few of your early games,i was at as well.
Never thought when i watched my first Southend game,nearly 50 years ago,that i would end up in a German hospital,badly injured,reading a book ,written by a "Sarfend" fan ,about Southend games!!
All those years ago,we would be "made up" if Southend got a mention in those old "football league reviews",which came free with the Southend prog

my son got me the book from amazon !! here in Germany,which i started to read while in hospital.
Enjoyed the book,made an ill shrimper happy...just seeing Billy Best name in print again helped.
Quite a few of your early games,i was at as well.
Never thought when i watched my first Southend game,nearly 50 years ago,that i would end up in a German hospital,badly injured,reading a book ,written by a "Sarfend" fan ,about Southend games!!
All those years ago,we would be "made up" if Southend got a mention in those old "football league reviews",which came free with the Southend prog

Cheers Ozzie, glad to be of service - maybe I can now claim that the book has some healing qualities! Get well soon, UTB, Andy

If it's that therapeutic maybe you should send copy to Nile to help in his rehabilitation. Otherwise maybe you could do an audio book version he could listen to at bedtime?

Back