• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stadium Name

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 04 2004,13:09)]Suddenly, the future is looking a lot brighter - especially after this season.
Doesn't this worry you? or is it just me?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ May 04 2004,11:25)]Name one after Trevor Roberts - keeper who died tragically young  in the late 60s/early 70s. (Can someone please confrim exactly when?)

Name another after Sid Broomfield
It was the 70s rather than the 60s when Trevor sadly passed away.

He was not only a great goalkeeper, but, more importantly, also a very fine person.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The 4th man @ May 04 2004,11:14)]I like the Stand name idea.

New north stand , Dave Webb , East Tillys Stand and West (family ) The Chris "Nicest bloke in football" Powell Stand.

The South away end can be the Barry Fry stand (so we can all p*** on it !!!)
Webby would want a back-hander for allowing us to use his name.

Thanks Mick. Don't remember him myself, but I've read about him in 100 Southend Greats. A real tragedy and I think his memory should be commemorated if possible.

How about:

The New Hall (a la The New Den, New Meadow)
The Funny Farm
The Vic Jobson Memorial Ground

or...

just a suggestion... (and my favourite)

Roots Hall

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sealion @ May 03 2004,23:49)]Fossets Folly- I actually like Roots Hall,old, central & plenty of pubs right outside. Fossets Farm has er,.......................fields?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?  
And a Waitrose
biggrin.gif

Plus most of the fields will be gone when we've built it. ( poor old KARERS)

Thing is we're not going to be building on fields it's fecking waste land. My one concern is the lack of decent pubs etc... around the ground. Hopefully the fans will be consulted so we can have a decent club bar.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ May 04 2004,11:25)]Name one after Trevor Roberts - keeper who died tragically young  in the late 60s/early 70s. (Can someone please confrim exactly when?)

Name another after Sid Broomfield
I totally agree with Sid Broomfield, but as i am related, i may be a bit biased. I don't think Ron Martin would have it though, as there's no mention of himself in there. Maybe a stand named after Sid would be better. I hope, but i've got a feeling that Mr Martin (Who we all dearly love
rock.gif
) Wouldn't want it.
COME ON SID!!!!

Oh you mean SID - for a minute I thought you wanted to name it after me.
laugh.gif

Just to wind up the Karers, how about the I-Can-Remember-When-This-Was-All-Fields Stadium?

On a more serious note, Trevor Roberts wasn't the only player to die before his time. Joe Jacques, skipper in the late 60's, also died pretty young, so that's another candidate for a stand.

Naming the stadium after Sid Broomfield would be perfect though, which is why it probably won't happen.

One of the earliest games I can remember was Sid Broomfield's testimonial. This has no relevance whatsoever to the naming of the new ground.
cool.gif

After Darlington and Rushden and Diamonds examples perhaps we could call it the "sh*t or Bust Stadium".
biggrin.gif

Other than naming the ground I think a great idea would to be to name one stand as the "Legend" stand. This could have the names of all the SUFC legends over the years, including Sid artistically graffitied on the outside (preferably the nearest stand facing local residents). Naturally pride of place goes to Roy McDonut.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ May 04 2004,18:23)]Thing is we're not going to be building on fields it's fecking waste land. My one concern is the lack of decent pubs etc... around the ground. Hopefully the fans will be consulted so we can have a decent club bar.
Id bet money we wont be consulted on this !

Why should the club change the habit of a lifetime.

FM.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 04 2004,21:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ May 04 2004,18:23)]Thing is we're not going to be building on fields it's fecking waste land. My one concern is the lack of decent pubs etc... around the ground. Hopefully the fans will be consulted so we can have a decent club bar.
Id bet money we wont be consulted on this !

Why should the club change the habit of a lifetime.

FM.
You're not old enough to drink in pubs/clubs so why the hell should you be consulted?

If they are going to put on a 'teen scene' under 18's disco night (well, 8pm-11pm) then perhaps you could provide some degree of expertise?

SkySports news are reportign this morning that 'Southend have been granted planning permission for a new 16000 seater stadium by the local council' is this just the news from a few days ago being reported late or has this progressed to the council already?

Back