• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stadium now at Advanced stage - in Echo 3/8/06

Murkey_Mouse

FKA Sudbury_Shrimpers
Club Chairman Ron Martin today revealed he would submit the club's new stadium plans to Southend Council this September, in the hope building can start by Spring 2007 in next year.

The detailed design for the new ground at Fossett Farm, which believed to cost more than £25 Million and be almost more than double the capacity of Root Hall, will go before the planning committee in January. The announcement comes just before the Championship get underway this saturday.

An excited Mr Martin said "Plan for the new stadium is now at advanced stage now. After they are submitted in late september, there will be a 16-week public consultation. Durning that time, the design will be available for everyone to see and we hope to get the go ahead".

Southend Utd ground will be constructed by HOK Sport who were reponsible for building Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium.

More detail about the new stadium, only if you get your arse off & buy the Echo now! there are 2 page worth of information about Council voice joy about the plan & New ground hope unites blues fans etc. Picture of land behind the Waitrose which is been cleared out & waiting for New ground to be built on *Up your Karers!*
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Aug. 03 2006,13:39)]As long as the stadium's not being built by the guys doing Wembley, it's all fine for me. Can you go into a few more details for those who can't get the Echo? Thanks in advance.
Quote;

"Southend's ground will be constructed by HOK Sport, who were responsible for building Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium, the new Wembley Stadium, Wimbledon's Centre Court and Sydney's Telstra Stadium, which hosted the 2000 Olympics..."

oops.gif

RM also hasn't ruled out a Sponsored Stadium name, and refers to Coventry's Ricoh Arena. They receive £1m a year for 10 years for that privilege.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. Plans for the new stadium are "gathering pace".
2. A planning application will be submitted soon/imminently/by Christmas.
3. The plans/the club will be described as "ambitious" at least once.
4. Ron Martin (who will be described as "Blues supremo", probably of "the newly promoted Championship side") will be excited.
5. The "Benfleet based property developer" has been working very hard "behind the scenes" as "these things take a long time".
6. We'll be reassured that the Council are generally supportive of the club's plan to relocate
7. The whole process is "well advanced"
8. There is probably an artist's impression of a stadium that will look nothing like the new stadium.
9. Someone had their lawnmower stolen from their shed, there was a fight on Lucy Road the other night and a cat has gone missing.
10. Blues fan and charity fund-raiser Ken McNasty will be looking forward to the new stadium and hopes the upper tier contains a net to catch falling false teeth.

So that is 2,6 and 7 from my list (see the Gary Hooper thread), but I'll have to buy the Echo to discover whether the others were included in this Echo exclusive. Oooh the excitement.

The photo on the front page says "Ron at Roots Hall" but the snazzy new stadium in the background looks a lot like Swanseas!
rock.gif

Call me a cynic but I'm refusing to get excited about this until I have seen proof that we have got further with it than in the past. At the moment, it's just words. If the council genuinely backs it then I might allow myself to get excited.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 03 2006,14:59)]Call me a cynic but I'm refusing to get excited about this until I have seen proof that we have got further with it than in the past.  At the moment, it's just words.  If the council genuinely backs it then I might allow myself to get excited.
Yep, not much new info. No plans provided not even a dodgy artist's impression although it does say plans will be available in late September.

Swansea's ground cost nearly £30million for a 20,000 capacity we want to build a ground costing £25million for a 22,000 capacity. I hope the cost of the Hotel etc is not included in the £25million as that means we will be spending even less on a new ground.

Timescale is a bit tight to get it built by the start of the 2008 season, especially as it will be built by same people that are building the new Wembley Stadium. Mind you they have built the Emirates Stadium on schedule.

I think this is where Ron can come into his own with his building background.

I think along with most i can go back 20 years when we first proposed a new ground down by Roller City and until the first brick is laid i shall be very aprehensive. My fingers, toes and anything else is crossed that the plans get passed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Aug. 03 2006,15:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 03 2006,14:59)]Call me a cynic but I'm refusing to get excited about this until I have seen proof that we have got further with it than in the past.  At the moment, it's just words.  If the council genuinely backs it then I might allow myself to get excited.
Yep, not much new info. No plans provided not even a dodgy artist's impression although it does say plans will be available in late September.

Swansea's ground cost nearly £30million for a 20,000 capacity we want to build a ground costing £25million for a 22,000 capacity.  I hope the cost of the Hotel etc is not included in the £25million as that means we will be spending even less on a new ground.

Timescale is a bit tight to get it built by the start of the 2008 season, especially as it will be built by same people that are building the new Wembley Stadium.  Mind you they have built the Emirates Stadium on schedule.
But, the main problem I can see with Wembley is the constant plan changes and lack of communication between the company and the FA. Hopefully, Ron won't fall into this trap.

I don't think it is the same company that's building Wembley is it though? That's Multiplex i thought- this is HOK Sport. Strange. I may be wrong but i'm sure it's Multiplex building Wembley...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Aug. 03 2006,15:48)]I don't think it is the same company that's building Wembley is it though? That's Multiplex i thought- this is HOK Sport. Strange. I may be wrong but i'm sure it's Multiplex building Wembley...
Looks like HOK Sports are something to do with New Wembley as per the following link, I can't be bothered to look for any other links.

HOK Sports

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2006,15:30)]until the first brick is laid i shall be very aprehensive.
....SITP heads off to Boots and Laces with brick in hand...

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Aug. 03 2006,15:48)]I don't think it is the same company that's building Wembley is it though? That's Multiplex i thought- this is HOK Sport. Strange. I may be wrong but i'm sure it's Multiplex building Wembley...
Multiplex are basically the project management team at wembley,and I would expect HOK Sport to be contractors on that job. It is down to multiplex as to the logistics of the projects, such as when each phase or milestone is done. As long as we don't get multiplex to oversee the project we will be fine.

can't wait to see the new plans!!

Back