• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I just has a quick exchange of e-mails with the planning consultant. Sounds like there were a couple of minor issues with the planning application which stopped it from being registered and, in her words, "we expect registration any day soon".

Good hunting there mate. Was that Mary from Powerhaus or someone from SBC?

FFS........Someone please tell me it's the 1st April... and not 1st June!!

Just had a reply from Ron to say he doesnt know of any bad news in respect of the stadium‎... "quite the opposite".

He even said he will have to buy the echo to learn more about his own business lol.

So guess we will see tomorrow what its about as he doesnt know.

Just had a reply from Ron to say he doesnt know of any bad news in respect of the stadium‎... "quite the opposite".

He even said he will have to buy the echo to learn more about his own business lol.

So guess we will see tomorrow what its about as he doesnt know.

For real or is that a wind up

This sounds like a non-story to me - nothing to do with the planning application, the talks to do with the deal to fund the retail element have ceased until they know exactly what they've got permission to build (both floor space and use types). Sounds like the Echo have put 2+2 together and made 5!

If the Echo are correct and I realise with their track record that it is a big if, then I am begining to hear the death rattle. I'm just unsure if it belongs to FF or Ron's tenure or SUFC itself. Personally, I've had it up to the back teeth with the FF pipedream that he can't fund. Even if RM meets the financial criteria to satisfy Football league rules then surely his haircut must deem him unsuitable as a fit and proper person.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15323536.Blues_stadium_talks_have_ground_to_a_halt/

ECHO said:
Blues stadium talks have ground to a halt

NEGOTIATIONS over the new Southend United football stadium have stopped after the club and its financial backer failed to reach a “satisfactory agreement”.

British Land has told the Echo the talks are “currently on hold” over the new stadium at Fossetts Farm as terms with the Blues and chairman Ron Martin have not been finalised.

Mr Martin told the Echo that he hoped, come the end of the summer, the club would be better placed to continue discussions.

It is the latest setback for the project, which has been more than 15 years in the pipeline. And it comes more than a month after the club lodged its latest planning application with Southend Council planners.

The company has told the Echo talks may resume at a later date.

A spokesman for British Land said yesterday: “Discussions are currently on hold between British Land and Southend United Football Club as it has not been possible to reach a satisfactory agreement. Southend United has recently submitted a planning application for the development.

“The parties remain on good terms and discussions in relation to the retail element of the scheme may be progressed in the future if a satisfactory planning consent is granted.”

Planning applications are usually rubber-stamped and made public within days of being submitted but there has been no sign of the proposals, which were submitted at the end of April.

Mr Martin confirmed negotiations with British Land had temporarily halted - and might not resume until the autumn.

He said: “This is correct in so far as the club’s priority is to deliver the planning consent both Southend United and British Land require. When we have a line of sight through the planning process, hopefully around the end of September, we will be better placed to continue those discussions.

“In the meantime the parties remain regular dialogue as we both monitor progress by the council.”

The bid to build a new stadium at Fossetts Farm in Eastern Avenue, Southend, has rumbled on for more than a decade.

The deal initially hinged on finding a backer to buy the existing Roots Hall site. Sainsbury’s, which had planned to build a large supermarket on the site, later backed out. Weston Homes eventually bought the site last year and plans to build more than 600 homes there when the Blues move to their new stadium.

It is unclear what is holding up the planning process for the latest application.

A council spokesman said: “In general terms, if a submitted application is complete then national guidelines say that it should be registered (validated) within ten days.

"A complete application includes a number of things, including a location plan, site plan, the correct fee and a design and access statement.

"If an application is incomplete, we liaise directly with the applicant and validation will depend on when they come back to us with the necessary information and meet the requirements to make it a complete application.

“It is not our policy to give details as to why an application has not been validated as this is a matter between an applicant and ourselves.”

The club wants to build a 21,000-seater stadium at Fossetts Farm, along with flats and retail and leisure outlets including a multi-screen cinema. A rival development at the Seaway car park, off Lucy Road, has already secured Empire Cinemas to operate there - calling into question whether the club can attract another cinema chain for the town.

Complete non-story!

I've worked with British Land on over twenty projects and this is a standard approach, particularly when planning consent is required and the onus is on the organisation they're partnering with to achieve it. Why agree terms before you know the outcome of the planning consent and any subsequent restrictions recommended by the Planning Officer and agreed by the council. It should be added that the Seaway project is undoubtedly adding to the delays in agreeing commercial terms too but will be solved once (if) planning consent is provided.

Update from the Council to me from @SouthendBC via Twitter this morning:

Hi,you'll be aware then that we can't validate an app until its complete.Requirements met earlier this wk so sd be uploaded by end of nxt wk

Non-story as previously suggested. More than likely a simple case of negotiation over planning due diligence (probably fees associated with the detailed size and estimated value of the development).

When is the club commenting further though? Already over half way through the week.

It's all systems go again. The development of 500-600 homes at Roots Hall to fund the first phase at Fossetts. So the club to fund things at first and then British Land to join in when the retail part starts.

It's all systems go again. The development of 500-600 homes at Roots Hall to fund the first phase at Fossetts. So the club to fund things at first and then British Land to join in when the retail part starts.

Ron's hoping to sell it to British Land once it's built, which is quite a difference from before. The whole development is going to cost a fortune, I am surprised he has the means to forward fund this all of a sudden.

Ron's hoping to sell it to British Land once it's built, which is quite a difference from before. The whole development is going to cost a fortune, I am surprised he has the means to forward fund this all of a sudden.

I heard he was spotted in his garden with a shovel and dug up what appeared to be some form of chest.

How does that work when Stadium is built first? Or is that just the developer paying us "up front"?

Ive already been told that ground sharing is not going to happen before anyone jumps on that.

The cynic in me just wonders if we dont have it sorted but have to show progress with Seaway steaming ahead.

How does that work when Stadium is built first? Or is that just the developer paying us "up front"?

Ive already been told that ground sharing is not going to happen before anyone jumps on that.

The cynic in me just wonders if we dont have it sorted but have to show progress with Seaway steaming ahead.

Mr Martin added: “We have provided for some 200 further residential units in three blocks next to the stadium making the whole scheme when coupled with the retail and leisure a destination of great quality with the centrepiece stadium to deliver top flight football in the town for many generations to come.”

The scheme will require careful planning and begins with the construction of a new training ground.

The club will fund the first stage of the stadium before vacating Roots Hall.

A development there of some 500 to 600 homes at Roots Hall will help fund the proposal and kick-start the next phase of the stadium plans with the backing of the retail development and which may be sold to British Land.

Mr Martin said: “We will create value via the planning application enabling us to bridge against the asset under traditional debt funding to ensure a smooth transition from Roots Hall to the new stadium.

“We will build the first phase of the stadium move and then sell Roots Hall to discharge the position.

Back