• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

At least we have been told something positive. My pessimistic side expects to see a 3 sided 'Weston Homes' style stadium to start with which will leave supporters very disappointed! At least, with our great support, we might be able to create some atmosphere unlike our Essex neighbours.

Anyone have any idea how long it will take to be completed? Like a rough estimate? Should only take a year right?

I would be very surprised if this huge project was simply given the nod by SBC, without huge opposition from certain councillors/residents/businesses. If we are on-site by this coming Autumn it will be a miracle.

I would be very surprised if this huge project was simply given the nod by SBC, without huge opposition from certain councillors/residents/businesses. If we are on-site by this coming Autumn it will be a miracle.

Smiffy send them pictures of the Orlando stadium, a replica of that will be just fine :clap:

Ron will get a well done from me when I enter the stadium and see a 4 sided stadium full to the rafters. In the meantime he has my support and let's see how things go.

Perhaps it is about time that we said well done Ron.

We've been here before several times.

It's great that plans are being submitted (and even if they are deposited today, don't expect them to be publicly available until at least Tuesday/Wednesday next week) and although we've seen it all before, it's important that we play our part in this and don't let the inevitable apathy of the last 17 years lose us this new stadium.

The plans will be huge, as Smiffy says there will be more objections than ever before. Government policy on housing is in our favour and we have precedents for planning but we will still need to write to the council in support of this application. Those residents of Southend-on-Sea are particularly important. When the consultation opens, as many people as possible need to write individual letters (petitions carry little weight in the planning process) supporting the application ALONG PLANNING GUIDELINES (ie, don't bang on about how great the club is and how much we deserve a new ground because it's not a planning consideration).

There will be significant opposition to both schemes (don't forget planning consent for one is no good without the other). We need to ensure the support drowns it out. Use the sneering comments about how we'll never fill the stadium because we've got no fans from Premier league ***** on the Echo comments section as your motivation. We need to show how powerful we are as a support base by ensuring the council know the town is behind this.

Also, local elections coming up. Support those who support the stadium.

We've been here before several times.

It's great that plans are being submitted (and even if they are deposited today, don't expect them to be publicly available until at least Tuesday/Wednesday next week) and although we've seen it all before, it's important that we play our part in this and don't let the inevitable apathy of the last 17 years lose us this new stadium.

The plans will be huge, as Smiffy says there will be more objections than ever before. Government policy on housing is in our favour and we have precedents for planning but we will still need to write to the council in support of this application. Those residents of Southend-on-Sea are particularly important. When the consultation opens, as many people as possible need to write individual letters (petitions carry little weight in the planning process) supporting the application ALONG PLANNING GUIDELINES (ie, don't bang on about how great the club is and how much we deserve a new ground because it's not a planning consideration).

There will be significant opposition to both schemes (don't forget planning consent for one is no good without the other). We need to ensure the support drowns it out. Use the sneering comments about how we'll never fill the stadium because we've got no fans from Premier league ***** on the Echo comments section as your motivation. We need to show how powerful we are as a support base by ensuring the council know the town is behind this.

Also, local elections coming up. Support those who support the stadium.

Basically what you are saying is stuff anyone else who doesn't want this vanity project,just checking.

Basically what you are saying is stuff anyone else who doesn't want this vanity project,just checking.

On a forum for Southend United fans I was working to the assumption that most people reading it would be in support of a stadium that will allow us to grow as a club, not to mention that Roots Hall is probably not far away from failing to get a safety certificate as it is falling apart.

Feel free to write your own letter of objection, although I hope you will be drowned out. I for one want there to be a football club for my son to support when he grows up and while FF is far from perfect (and still may well not ever happen) it is the best hope I have for that.

Not like you go to games anyway.

Is there anything that needs to be done with Roots Hall before we can start building the new Stadium (do SUFC, the council or RM own it)?

I seem to remember a few local businesses being against Roots Hall being turned into whatever it's going to be turned into.

Is there anything that needs to be done with Roots Hall before we can start building the new Stadium (do SUFC, the council or RM own it)?

I seem to remember a few local businesses being against Roots Hall being turned into whatever it's going to be turned into.

Now Sainsburys aren't involved I suspect the objection from local businesses will reduce. But of course there are plenty of businesses that won't want to lose the fortnightly trade that a home match brings.

I think Roots Hall is owned by Ron's parent companies.

There is a covenant on the land that states that Southend must have a stadium to play in if Roots Hall is redeveloped. They may be able to start building homes on sections of the Roots Hall site but fundamentally it will have to remain an operating stadium until Fossetts is ready.

Now Sainsburys aren't involved I suspect the objection from local businesses will reduce. But of course there are plenty of businesses that won't want to lose the fortnightly trade that a home match brings.

I think Roots Hall is owned by Ron's parent companies.

There is a covenant on the land that states that Southend must have a stadium to play in if Roots Hall is redeveloped. They may be able to start building homes on sections of the Roots Hall site but fundamentally it will have to remain an operating stadium until Fossetts is ready.

Surely they'll get more trade (especially as it will be year round) from a housing estate than they ever got from us lot.

On a forum for Southend United fans I was working to the assumption that most people reading it would be in support of a stadium that will allow us to grow as a club, not to mention that Roots Hall is probably not far away from failing to get a safety certificate as it is falling apart.

Feel free to write your own letter of objection, although I hope you will be drowned out. I for one want there to be a football club for my son to support when he grows up and while FF is far from perfect (and still may well not ever happen) it is the best hope I have for that.

Not like you go to games anyway.

I dont live in that area so no objection from me anyway.

My point is the project has become bigger and bigger,your stating anyone who objects should be drowned out...democracy at its finest.

When will we see the new plans. It will be interesting to see what transpires over the next couple of months.

I still maintain that championship football would help the club champion it's aims and invite prospective investors.

I dont live in that area so no objection from me anyway.

My point is the project has become bigger and bigger,your stating anyone who objects should be drowned out...democracy at its finest.

No I'm urging people to get behind the plan by taking action and not just sitting back assuming it will be passed.

Just because the plan has become bigger doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing anyway. The town has stagnated for a long time now. Housing is desperately needed, and relying on the High Street for retail is living in the past. My main concern is the pressure on the road network but I hope the development will in turn prompt improvements to the surrounding roads.

My view on this is there is much more going on in the background than people think. I wouldn't be surprised if the council and BL/Ron have been holding informal talks for months to ensure they are all on the right page before any application is submitted. The council would have given a view on what they might be willing to accept and what is beyond the pale.

When will we see the new plans. It will be interesting to see what transpires over the next couple of months.

I still maintain that championship football would help the club champion it's aims and invite prospective investors.

If the club/BL does what it says (:smile::smile:) and submits today, the documents will probably be online at the Southend Council website either Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

As reported by mcnasty who is attending the AGM at the Civic Centre tonight.

The new planning application for the new stadium will be submitted to Southend-on-Sea Borough Council tomorrow Friday 28th April 2017.

I have heard that submission of the plans has been delayed until next Tuesday because the glue used to attach the glitter has not yet dried.

No I'm urging people to get behind the plan by taking action and not just sitting back assuming it will be passed.

Just because the plan has become bigger doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing anyway. The town has stagnated for a long time now. Housing is desperately needed, and relying on the High Street for retail is living in the past. My main concern is the pressure on the road network but I hope the development will in turn prompt improvements to the surrounding roads.

My view on this is there is much more going on in the background than people think. I wouldn't be surprised if the council and BL/Ron have been holding informal talks for months to ensure they are all on the right page before any application is submitted. The council would have given a view on what they might be willing to accept and what is beyond the pale.

I think they'd be mad not to. That doesn't mean it will definitely be passed though. They will almost certainly have met with the planning officials (whatever they're called) and they may well recommend the council approve the scheme. However, that doesn't mean that the elected councillors (some of whom represent the people of St. Lukes etc that will be affected by the scheme) will accept the recommendation. There will inevitably be some objections which may well lead to an amendment or two.

Back