• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stadium update

If you look at the latest picture of the inside of the proposed stadium you can count the seats. I reckon the latest picture will show 17k seats, whereas the old one will show 21k. It will take a bit of concentration on your part, but it would put to bed the difference between pictures?:Winking:
I think that’s the point?

I like your stadium . A simple design but very effective at what it seeks to do when it comes to the hospitality and functions side of the business . And I am sure that at the time of opening I read that it had won some sort of top architectural award so you have every right to feel quite proud of it .
I agree. Most of us originally thought it was a bit naff but having experienced the stadium, including hospitality, I would be happy with that no problem at the moment.

How many Col U fans would go back to Layer Road, given the chance? I mean the place was a dive, but it was a “proper” football stadium and your new place just seems to me to be a Lego stadium devoid of all atmosphere. I know you couldn’t stay there but still ..

Lots of Col U fans including me would go back there in a heartbeat, yes as you say it was a dump but it was our dump and new stadiums just don't feel like that. I know like you it would be difficult to stay at older stadiums that have got run down, but all seater stadiums just don't have the same atmosphere or tradition. I know we make more money from off field stuff and the view is much better but for most old time fans like me this new stadium is a poor imitation of how things used to be.

The thing is although most of us long term fans don't like leaving our clubs original grounds, most lack that commercial space that is so important in the modern game, the football income almost becomes secondary to everything else, which is sad but true. We have so many room options now and they are hired by all sorts of people and organisations, the income is huge on a daily basis and crucially also in those summer months when football income is virtually nil. There is also the income from music events on the pitch in the Summer, they attract 15K to 20K people which gives the club income and exposure to all sorts of people. One of the big money spinners for us is Asian weddings, they come down from London because it is cheaper, we can host weddings for around 700 people if needed and also a similar number of parking spaces right outside the venue. Our rooms vary in size but the bigger ones can be opened up to make a very big area if required. https://www.cu-fc.com/venuehire/event-spaces/

Lots of Col U fans including me would go back there in a heartbeat, yes as you say it was a dump but it was our dump and new stadiums just don't feel like that. I know like you it would be difficult to stay at older stadiums that have got run down, but all seater stadiums just don't have the same atmosphere or tradition. I know we make more money from off field stuff and the view is much better but for most old time fans like me this new stadium is a poor imitation of how things used to be.
And the Jobsworth Community Stadium is falling down is a bit of a mouthful to squeeze into the opening bars

I can’t find the 3-0 2006 on YouTube to cement the memories!

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct LB. The comparison was based on Middlesbro being dwarfed by, then, top division local sides, Newcastle and Sunderland with supporters from the area even travelling to Leeds and Manchester to follow teams there, rather than their local sides.

Also, the catchment area was 180 degrees sea. For two towns of similar size and a model that we should be able to compare ourself to, with how we should be able to sustain tier two football in Southend. (We nearly made that last year, but I bet none of us thought we would be looking over our shoulder at non league tier 2, when this comparison was being made).
That was when they were at Ayresome Park, another indicator, as if we needed one, of how long this has been dragging on. Middlesbro now have their shiny new stadium, whilst ours crumbles around us. And they are a sustainable tier 2 club, whilst we..............

Middlesbrough have always been a sustainable Tire 2 club ( apart from when they nearly went bust chasing a dream and the gates were locked)

We of course have always been a Tier3/4 yo yo club….. We don’t have endless industrial waste land and a council who would gladly promote a new stadium.

Borough have more tradition and as an area sand certainly not the percentage of PL fans we have.

When you include the likes of Benfleet and hullbridge as part of our town there must be 4 PL sesos for every RH seaso.

A better comparison is Bristol R as they were also under the whim of Sainsburys or Gillingham.

I particularly liked the Directors' Hospitality Portacabin 😀
Colchester United is like women. Can’t live with them. Can’t live without them. I’ll take a league match against our one true derby opponents at any venue season after next please.

Colchester United is like women. Can’t live with them. Can’t live without them. I’ll take a league match against our one true derby opponents at any venue season after next please.

Yes a game against your true local rivals is great, the atmosphere and expectation beats most other games, but that has to be in a game that means something not a friendly!

Back