• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Joolz

Coach⭐
Getting ahead of myself here, but does anybody know if the new stadium plans will incorporate some form of terracing? Would it even be allowed post Taylor report?

I would love to be able to stand at games again. I reckon the demand would merit the area behind one goal being standing.

Failing that, I think the club should introduce a designated 'singing' area. The atmosphere has generally been good at Roots Hall this year, but it isn't helped by the fact that those who want to get behind the team seem to be spread out all around the ground.

It's not allowed in the higher echelons of the League, I believe, so if we're ambitious, we shouldn't consider it.

The terracing could be turned into a seating area should we get that high - as in the old West Bank.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ May 12 2004,14:35)]The terracing could be turned into a seating area should we get that high - as in the old West Bank.
Suitable terracing (height and depth of steps) is turned into unsuitable seating (legroom and visibility) which would be a shame to have to endure in a new stadium.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Suitable terracing (height and depth of steps) is turned into unsuitable seating (legroom and visibility) which would be a shame to have to endure in a new stadium.

This is true (hence why I now sit in the east stand), but surely a new stadium could be designed with such a conversion in mind?

Definately out of the question. The FLA simply wouldn't allow it for new stadium construction.

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 12 2004,13:53)]Definately out of the question. The FLA simply wouldn't allow it for new stadium construction.

WS
Which is a shame... after all, didn't the Germans come up with some form of terracing a few years ago which was, in effect, foldable seating - i.e. the stand could be used as a terrace and also as a seated stand?

Don't know why new stadia should be prevented from looking into innovative options like that one...

rock.gif

Hey ho.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,14:02)]Which is a shame... after all, didn't the Germans come up with some form of terracing a few years ago which was, in effect, foldable seating - i.e. the stand could be used as a terrace and also as a seated stand?
They certainly did; it's called "Kombi seating" and the FLA went and took a look at it in February 2001.

FLA Report on Kombi Seating

They came up with the following conclusions :

1. This system could, with certain modifications, comply with the safety standards required in England and Wales.

2. However the Hamburg "Kombi" seat system could not physically be installed in any existing Premiership or Football League ground, primarily because of the 900mm row depth required. (English and Welsh row depths are normally between 700 and 760mm.)

3. It would be possible to design a new stand capable of taking the "Kombi" seats and removable barriers at an English or Welsh ground, provided that the club concerned took account of the following factors:

- Because of the row depth required, the system takes up considerably more space than existing non-convertible seating or standing arrangements in England and Wales. In other words, the club would need to build a significantly larger and costlier structure to obtain the same capacity. Alternatively, for example if this were not practicable because of a restricted site, the club would have to accept a smaller capacity.

- The system works best if it occupies the whole of a lower tier or single tier stand. At Hamburg the "Kombi" seats occupy the whole of the lower tier at one end and in one other corner (some 8,500 and 1,000 standing places respectively). Any seated accommodation behind the "Kombi" seats would have to be elevated because of the spectators standing in front of it. This would have implications for the rake, C values (viewing standards), distance from the pitch and overall size and design of the stand concerned.

I mentioned this seating to Ron Martin a couple of years ago; I felt he wasn't keen on implementing such a system in a new stadium.

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ May 12 2004,13:35)]The terracing could be turned into a seating area should we get that high - as in the old West Bank.
An unreserved seating area (say one end?) would be a manageable compromise.

Mike - that's the one; bravo for finding it, sir.

However, given the difficulties associated with putting such seating in, I can't see it happening at a new stadium - if one ever gets built.

I shall be happy to see a new stadium with seats, frankly; as for terracing, well, we can enjoy that when we go to places like Moss Rose...

Matt

Back