• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 18 2004,19:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,19:10)]Just out of interest JS, was this the last press release from the club relating to Fossett's Farm? I vaguely remember something at the "end" of May... but cannot recall what? [it's the age getting to me!  
sad.gif
 ]
Yep, 4th May was the last time any FF-related news was issued :

RON MARTIN claimed that it was “all-systems go” for the development of a new stadium at Fossetts Farm following the positive outcome of the B&Q public inquiry. Martin admitted he was delighted at the decision and hinted that it has helped secure a better future for Southend United. “It’s very positive for the club and for the town of Southend, and we‘re delighted,” he told the official site. “It’s a massive boost for us and I feel that the new stadium complex will bring further success to Southend United.” Martin also confirmed that the plans for the stadium would be submitted in the summer and that they would differ from the original development proposal submitted to the council four years ago. “It will be similar in size but the architecture will be different,” he said” We have moved on since 2000, both in the market and in the layout of Fossetts Farm, and we have to recognise that.” He admitted that the Southend United had no future at Roots Hall and that only a new stadium will allow the club to realise its potential. “We want to get Southend United out of the Third Division and back into the First as soon as possible”, he enthused. “Roots Hall is a tired old stadium that needs lots of maintenance and doesn’t have the facilities to satisfy the needs of the supporters.” But Martin did admit that there may be some short-term investment in the ground. “Now that the club has a future, we will be investing to improve the catering and toilet facilities.”

It's the middle of August. Summer ends around September 21 so there's not a great deal of time for that elusive submission.

WS
Cheers JS.

Come on Ron! put us out of our misery...
rock.gif
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,18:49)]I'd be inclined to say that the wheels will need to be oiled at frequent intervals or the new stadium could seem like a long time coming...

but IF, [as Ron would have us believe!] the stadium is to be ready for the club's centenary season of 2006/07, the foundations would need to be in place for building by about January or latest February 2005 if the 18 month build time is realistic... that would mean that the plans would need to be submitted [I am guessing the lead-time!] for approval by say October 2004!

I would be very surprised if the club didn't already have some early drawings roughly based on the original plans from 2000! but that is purely speculation on my part and I guess the club will announce something when they are ready...

wow.gif
U sure it would be a 18 month build time, im sure alot of new stadiums these days take 12-14 months. Which would make it more fesiable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 18 2004,20:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,18:49)]I'd be inclined to say that the wheels will need to be oiled at frequent intervals or the new stadium could seem like a long time coming...

but IF, [as Ron would have us believe!] the stadium is to be ready for the club's centenary season of 2006/07, the foundations would need to be in place for building by about January or latest February 2005 if the 18 month build time is realistic... that would mean that the plans would need to be submitted [I am guessing the lead-time!] for approval by say October 2004!

I would be very surprised if the club didn't already have some early drawings roughly based on the original plans from 2000! but that is purely speculation on my part and I guess the club will announce something when they are ready...

wow.gif
U sure it would be a 18 month build time, im sure alot of new stadiums these days take 12-14 months. Which would make it more fesiable.
Personally, I don't even want to wait that long... but we have to be realistic. 12-14 months would be great, but would be dependant upon everything going to plan [remember that this type of work can be affected by a number of issues, including inclement weather]. 18 months is a reasonable benchmark... Wembley is certainly going to be another year or so [because of the shear scale of the stadium!] to complete, although there will be considerably more people working on that than there will be at Fossett's Farm I should imagine...

I wonder if Mr. Scriven knows anything with HIS connections?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,20:28)]
[b said:
[b said:

wow.gif
Personally, I don't even want to wait that long... but we have to be realistic. 12-14 months would be great, but would be dependant upon everything going to plan [remember that this type of work can be affected by a number of issues, including inclement weather]. 18 months is a reasonable benchmark... Wembley is certainly going to be another year or so [because of the shear scale of the stadium!] to complete, although there will be considerably more people working on that than there will be at Fossett's Farm I should imagine...

I wonder if Mr. Scriven knows anything with HIS connections?
Well indeed, it all depends on how long the different hardles take, Still if Ron does get the plans in by the 'summer' we should see movement soon.

I seem to recall that we were denied planning on a proposed site near Sutton cemetry. I am sure as hell that the occupants of the cemetry would not complain so why do we feel the stadium will be allowed so close to a hospital annexe?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 18 2004,23:52)]I seem to recall that we were denied planning on a proposed site near Sutton cemetry. I am sure as hell that the occupants of the cemetry would not complain so why do we feel the stadium will be allowed so close to a hospital annexe?
It was felt that the Bereaved would take exception to seeing their loved one's coffin sliding through the curtain to a rousing chant of " 'Ere we go, 'ere we go 'ere we go-oh! " from accross the road.....

cool.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 18 2004,23:52)]I seem to recall that we were denied planning on a proposed site near Sutton cemetry. I am sure as hell that the occupants of the cemetry would not complain so why do we feel the stadium will be allowed so close to a hospital annexe?
I think its quite good it being near to the new Hospital Annexe and a Bupa. They can offer morphine before and after the games, least we will have something to smile about.

tounge.gif

[b said:
[b said:

wow.gif
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Have you compiled an in depth feasibility study?

I'd be interested to look at your figures.

[b said:
The hospital annexe is an out patients centre - so that means no one will be staying overnight so as out patient appointments IMHO only occur Mon - Fri 8am - 7pm, I do not feel this could be used as an objection. Also the hospital trust have always know that Fossetts Farm will possibly have a football stadium as the Government report stated as this is the best place to have such facilities.

I guess people need to the know the facts before spreading doom and gloom!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 19 2004,10:20)]
[b said:
The hospital annexe is an out patients centre - so that means no one will be staying overnight so as out patient appointments IMHO only occur Mon - Fri 8am - 7pm, I do not feel this could be used as an objection. Also the hospital trust have always know that Fossetts Farm will possibly have a football stadium as the Government report stated as this is the best place to have such facilities.

I guess people need to the know the facts before spreading doom and gloom!!
Know the facts. There is not much we cant tell from history. Southend as a town was a mecca to many. People flooded in for the seafront, The Kursaal and the pier. The Kursaal fun park was replaced by a housing association project, the pier has long been a folly and the seafront is now just a mile or so of wretched slot machines that rip of thousands of gullible people. When I spread 'doom and gloom' its because I have long learnt that historically Southend councils have done nothing for the leisure and entertainment in this town so why you think they are about to change the habit of a life time for SUFC I do not understand. Want more examples? How about Warrior Square swimming baths? they did not even have the foresight to build one big enough for major competition and now it is a sad reflection of 70's architecture and a health hazard. The dog track. A piece of history now. It may never have been totally viable on its own but could have been reinvented in conjunction with other sports facilities to be profitable. No doubt the retail park that now stands in its place made more business sense. Hmmm! Fossetts Farm comparison.

And why did this all happen because the fact most people from the home counties decided going to Benidorm and Marbella was nicer than going to good old Southend for that summer holiday. Which in turn meant the various leisure establishment suffered from less money which had a knock on effect to the cash flow to maintain and develop said establishments.

However in the past 2 decades people now have more money to spend on leisure pursuits and not just rely on their annual holiday for their R & R. So we are now finding places are starting to get their act together such as Peter Pan's sorry Adventure Island and the Kursaal. The difference between Warrior Square and Fossetts Farm is that the council will not be funding it. Of course in your reply you failed to mention Garons.

I accept that peoples holiday destinations broadened but there has always been enough people who want to stay at home, in fact statistically people who holiday abroad are still the minority. Those that choose to stay are not going to be coerced to come to Southend unless there are attractions. These attractions would take in the trippers hard earnt cash and generate further prosperity for the town, greater growth and a bigger catchment for SUFC and all other sporting/leisure facilities.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,18:49)]but IF, [as Ron would have us believe!] the stadium is to be ready for the club's centenary season of 2006/07, the foundations would need to be in place for building by about January or latest February 2005 if the 18 month build time is realistic... that would mean that the plans would need to be submitted [I am guessing the lead-time!] for approval by say October 2004!
I seem to recall Ron using some very guarded language in the Cheltenham programme. Basically I believe he hinted at being in the new ground during the 2006/2007 season, and not for the start of the season. This was provided things go reasonably smoothly.

Given that we are now in late summer and there is no sign of the plans, not to mention all the other things that need to come together (planning permission, appointing contractors, weather delays etc, etc) I would be surprised if the new ground is ready for the 2007/08 season let alone earlier.

The key thing is that we get a new ground and that it's of reaonable size and quality (ie not the cut price efforts of Chester or Northampton, for example) so I am not too concerned if it takes a bit longer just as long as it does eventually happen!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Aug. 19 2004,13:50)]The key thing is that we get a new ground and that it's of reaonable size and quality (ie not the cut price efforts of Chester or Northampton, for example) so I am not too concerned if it takes a bit longer just as long as it does eventually happen!
It's a big worry for me as we all know the main reason our lovely owners are building a new stadium is to get there hands on RH, So are they gonna spend that extra bit and ensure a good finish to the stadium and a good design (ala 2000) or a concrete stadium.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 19 2004,14:12)]It's a big worry for me as we all know the main reason our lovely owners are building a new stadium is to get there hands on RH ...
But Luke, they already "have their hands" on Roots Hall. The ground was sold to Roots Hall Limited in March 1999 - Roots Hall Limited is a joint venture between Martin Dawn and Delancey Southend Limited.

WS

I think we all knew that the ground wouldn't be ready by the 2006/07 season and me along with a few others (Mike etc...) have said that the 2007/08 season could come too soon for the new stadium ...

Kev

Two and half years from now until opening of the new stadium in mid 2006/07 season sounds a tad too optimistic for me. The planning application has still not been submitted to the Council (as far as we know) and I guess there's going to be at least six months of deliberation before a decision is made on whether or not the application is accepted. Take into account a period for tender submission etc. and we're into the 2005/06 season before a stone has even been laid. Another 18 months of construction time ... well, 2007 seems far more realistic ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 19 2004,18:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 19 2004,14:12)]It's a big worry for me as we all know the main reason our lovely owners are building a new stadium is to get there hands on RH ...
But Luke, they already "have their hands" on Roots Hall. The ground was sold to Roots Hall Limited in March 1999 - Roots Hall Limited is a joint venture between Martin Dawn and Delancey Southend Limited.

WS
Well yes and no as you know, can they build on it and get some of there money back ?

No, because of the convient, they could let the club go bust but it's hardly good for PR for a local company like MD who have let the towns football club go bust, and plus Delencey have spent so much they might as well wait a few more years and do everything 'by the book' if you like.

Back