• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stuff for a New P(a)lace

The General

The Mouse (*)
Folks,

As some of you may well know, myself and the lovely 'Emu' are moving in together which should happen over the next few weeks! One of the most important things to worry about is the TV (well, thats a slight lie - but it gives me a bit of pleasure) and im thinking this weekend is going to be a good weekend to get one. The folks have given me a nice wad of money for said product and that is the total of £600! So, the task is to try and get a 40-42 inch TV for as cheap as possible, so if anyone see's any good deals cropping up, then please post it on here. Tesco's is looking the best bet (although Dixons are doing a "price match guarantee") but wondered if anyone has got any good deals recently, or knows of any that may be coming up!

Of course, buying a new TV isn't the only thing - a new 2/3 seater sofa's are required, so once again, if any has any suggestions then fire away.

If anyone has any random thoughts which i may not have thought of or just some general advice then please feel free to give me some good "old people" advice!

:) ;)

Kev

First off congrats on the big move.

Unbeatable are super for TVs I find - http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/a/42_inch_lcd_tv.html

Sofa wise depends what you want...Would avoid the Ikea type £100 sofas that are lightweight as they are crap.

You can always haggle with the sofa companys and many will let you pay in a few years so you can save your pennies. You could consider a 2nd hand one as you can get some decent ones for pennies.

My final tip which is never truer would be haggle with everyone. In this credit crunch time there is always a deal to be had?

Before worrying about Tv's and sofas i would make sure you come to some agreement as to the parking arrangements outside the new place to avoid confusion/arguements later down the road.

Go to PRC in Romford, always up for a barter, got my 32" Bravia with 5 year guarantee for £329 last year.

Pointless comment as its over your budget (but with TV's I never stick to a budget so who knows!), but the sony KPL-40EX503 is currently in What Hi Fi and another mag getting 5 star reviews winning their group test.

Its £900 and cheapest I found it online was £850 until Argos reduced their price to £750.

Still a little over your budget but hey its a bargain so thought Id mention it.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296170/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7C15701169%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419667%7C40+and+42+inch+LCD+TVs%7C14419676.htm?_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:5296170|cat:home+entertainment+%3E+televisions

Don't forget John Lewis will also price-match, and you get a 5 year guarantee thrown in as well.

As I said to you other week Kev, get yourself down to Ikea for kitchen utensils (knives, forks, glasses etc. )

You can't miss this, there's an ad in todays papers, Sainsbury's :clap: are offering a Toshiba 40" 1080p LCD TV for £470.00 and you'll get a full refund if England win the World Cup. Have I heard this before? :unsure:

You can't miss this, there's an ad in todays papers, Sainsbury's :clap: are offering a Toshiba 40" 1080p LCD TV for £470.00 and you'll get a full refund if England win the World Cup. Have I heard this before? :unsure:

For the same money you can get a 42" LG or Samsung TV (from Tesco) so if any of the big companies go under £450, thats when i know a good deal is in the pipeline.

Cheers for the tip on sofa's Dave - our small front door leaves us a little limited but will look into that too!

Kev

Last edited:
Don't forget John Lewis will also price-match, and you get a 5 year guarantee thrown in as well.

They do?! Just seen the exact same Samsung 42" one (thats in Tesco for £470 - but an extra £130 for 5 year warranty) for £599 but im guessing they mean there overall cost (inc. warranty) and i wouldnt be able to go to John Lewis and get it with a 5 year warranty for £470.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.2000093...RT_Price&btnResultSort.x=12&btnResultSort.y=8

http://www.johnlewis.com/230911738/Product.aspx

BTW John Lewis do not price match on Internet prices, so if you can find the TV in a Tesco store then you will get the price match at Waitrose, the guarantee is free so this is not included in the sums.

You can have my old 40" one for a nominal sum. Only downside it's one of the massive old style ones so needs a corner rather than a wall!

Back